Tilapia Ideas Needed!

Options
KansasGal
KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
i have tilapia i want to cook tonight but want a new way to do it! i always just season it and bake it! any new ideas appreciated! thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake/broil mine also but add a little BBQ rub on it. You'd be surprised how good BBQ fish tastes!
  • Urbanescape
    Options
    Hi KansasGal,

I like to stirfry with tilapia because it cooks so fast...add tons of veggies, a dash of low sodium soy, garlic, ginger, and a tsp of peanut oil in a wok or skillet...low cal dinner in a flash!!

Let me know what you end up making!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Tilapia tacos? Just put in a taco shell with veggies and sauce. I really don't know what else. It's hard with fish.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Tilapia tacos? Just put in a taco shell with veggies and sauce. I really don't know what else. It's hard with fish.

Fish tacos are great! Use shredded cabbage or slaw mix to top them with, and some fruit salsa like pineapple.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    do a search in the recipe section (sorry, I can't figure out how to put links in my replys!) for puffed tilapia. It's really good and easy to make. I also will just bake or broil my fish but make a mango salsa to go with it and it makes it taste much fresher and different.
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine with a lemon pepper seasoning and fresh lemon juice. Then i cook it in a non-stick pan (no additional oil needed) and put on top of a bed of fresh spinach. YUM!!
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    This recipe calls for 1 lb but oviously you can mess with measurements. It is soooo good!

2 tbls of olive oil
    2 tbls of rice vinegar
    2 tbls of lite soy sauce
    1 tsp chopped garlic
    2 tbls seasame seeds

Whisk together oil, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic until well blended. Pour over fish and then sprinkle seasame seeds over fish.

Broil at meduium heat about 8 inches from heat for about 20 min or until fish flackes easily with a fork.

ENJOY!
  • ellennow
    ellennow Posts: 568
    Options
    Get a oblong baking dish

layer the bottom with fresh spinach

put fish on top of bed of spinach

put 1/2 can of rotel or chop some raw tomato on top of fish and spinach

can season with ole bays spice, garlic, salt and pepper or mrs dashes

cover with foil and bake

Delicous!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I either bake mine wrapped in foil with fresh garlic, lemon, pepper and a sprinkle of EVOO. Last nite I made some in a pan stove top with fat free Italian dressing to season. Yumm!
  • Jdhenson
    Jdhenson Posts: 6
    Options
    I put mine in a pan on top of the stove and add a small amt of water, lemon juice (more lemon juice than water), pepper, garlic and onion powder (just a tad), a pinch of dill, and sometimes a little parmesan cheese when it's almost done. Just keep a check to make sure your water does not cook out and it's SO good!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, your favorite spice mixture, put in a foil pouch with tomato, onion, and jalapeno or serrano pepper. Bake or cook on the grill. Quick, easy, and delicious. :)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2325881_cook-tilapia-easy-recipes.html

I love the first recipe on this list. I'm going to try the others later on.
  • CrazyC8
    CrazyC8 Posts: 16
    Options
    My Boyfriend and I just made Tilapia last night...it was delicious. We cooked it on the grill and each serving was individually wrapped in tin foil. Spray the tin foil will non-stick cooking spray, slice up potatoes (we used red potatoes) and put them on the foil as the first layer, then slice up onion as the second layer, the tilapia as the third layer, sprinkle with as much dill and salt and pepper as you like, then layer with a few thin slices of lemon, and top with a layer of sliced tomatoes, and sliced mushrooms. Then add some chunks of butter. The butter is what helps cook the potatoes, if you decide to use less butter, replace with some sort of oil so the potatoes on the bottom stay moist and cook without burning and drying out. Then wrap up each serving and put on the grill for 25-35 minutes.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I second the tacos idea it is a staple of the T when it comes to our house. I marinade the fish in just about anything I can come up with (bbq sauce, light dressings, oils and herbs etc). Then I usually use some tomato, onion, cheese and a real low tort like la tortilla's high fiber @ about 80 cal I know there are others we get @ about 50 too but the 80's taste better. We have also shredded some cabbage and tossed that in a lil dressing/oil for the tacos. We use up whatever we can in the fridge and it always seems to be tasty and decent for you.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    i like mine pretty plain, put it in those steamer bags for the microwave with some cajun seasonings for about 3 min. Nothing to clean up afterwards, with veggies and a salad and I'm good to go:drinker:
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Homemade Fishsticks!!! :smile: (Edited from: http://www.lifesambrosia.com/2009/10/oven-baked-fish-sticks-recipe.html)

I mix some oatmeal, whole wheat flour and seasonings.

Then I fill a shallow bowl with skim milk.

Cut the tilapia into 1/2 inch strips, dip into the milk and then thoroughly coat with the oatmeal and flour mixture.

Place on a sprayed baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes on each side.

For 1/4 lb of fish sticks it is about 200 calories. (Made about 18 fishsticks per 1/4 lb)

Dip into some ketchup, low fat tartar sauce, chopped up on a salad, or have plain like me!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    i have tilapia i want to cook tonight but want a new way to do it! i always just season it and bake it! any new ideas appreciated! thanks! :flowerforyou:

You can use talipia to make fish tacos....Or you can make a crusted talipia, use panko bread crumbs, chives, parsley, granulated garlic, and fat free parmesean cheese. Wash the fish off in cold water and pat dry....brush the top of the fish with olive oil and put the panko bread crumb mixture lightly on one side ....spray a pan with cooking spray and add a 2 tablespoon olive oil...sear the crusted side first until it has a nice golden brown, then flip...put the pan (if it is oven proof) into a 350 oven until the fish flakes easily....about 5-7 minutes
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My husband is a chef and here are some of the ways he taught me to do it: HEALTHY

1. dust it lightly with flour on both sides. Pam spray the pan until hot. Leave about 2 minutes on each side or till it reaches 145
    2. fresh parmasean cheese & crushed saltine crackers: Lightly sauce the pan and cook on each side
    3. lemon/garlic seasoning: Pam spray the pan until hot. Cook about 2 min on each side.
    4. Salt/ pepperr seasoning. Cook spinach, garlic, tomatoe & onions in another pan. Then put it all on top of the tilipia

So many ways to do it...