Replies

• teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    please someone.. what is rotel???????
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Tilapia "Florentine" goes over well here. I just spread a half wedge of Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb on each filet and top that with thawed frozen spinach. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
  • adcraven78
    Options
    Hi
    Rotel is a brand of chopped tomatoes with green chiles. They also make other varieties of chile and tomato combos as well. I'm sure Walmart and other grocery stores sell it.
  • ImaLadyBiker
    Options
    I got this from Allrecipes.com. It calls for serving with bread, but I'm doing low carbs. I also used olive oil on my cast iron skillet, but you have to have the fish ready to be put on the pan. The smoke point of olive oil is low and it could burn.

Blackened Tilapia with Secret Hobo Spices

3 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 pinch garlic powder
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1 tablespoon kosher salt, or to taste

1 pound tilapia fillets
    1 lemon, cut into wedges
    1 tablespoon vegetable (or olive) oil

In a small bowl or jar with a lid, make the spice blend. Mix together the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, celery seed and kosher salt. Coat the fish fillets with the spice mixture, and allow to sit at room temperature for no longer than 30 minutes.

Heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add oil, and heat until it is almost smoking. Place the fillets in the pan, and cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until fish is opaque and can be flaked with a fork. Remove from the pan, and place onto slices of white bread. Pour pan juices over them and squeeze lemon juice all over.
  • ashmom86
    ashmom86 Posts: 117
    Options
    bump
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    Hell yes fish tacos! I eat them at least twice a week!
    I cube about 4 loins, toss 'em in a gallon ziplock baggie with lime juice, chili powder and hot sauce, pan fry it for about 5-10 mins until excess water/juice has cooked off. That's right ma, no oil. Cooks fine and I don't miss it! Throw about 40-50 g of fish in each 40 cal extra thin yellow tortilla, splash more hot sauce, pop in the microwave for 40-60 seconds to soften the tortillas (I'm lazy), top with shredded lettuce and my own cilantro/basil fat free sour cream (i just have those tubes of herb paste that I add a serving each to a bunch of fat free sour cream and put in my own squeezy bottle). Mmmmmmmm! About 90 calories each for them without cheese. Add 9g reduced fat shredded mexican cheese for my hubby's tacos for an extra 25c if you like.
    Sure chili powder and hot sauce have sodium, but it's not much in the dish.
  • wagn27
    wagn27 Posts: 65
    Options
    bump
  • jimmymonkey
    Options
    My all time favourite recipe site is allrecipes.com Here's a link for the talapia recipes, I think there are 76 recipes for talapia...Enjoy! :flowerforyou:

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=talapia
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    we had tilapia for dinner last night.....
    I coated it with lemon pepper, panko, a dash of old bay seasoning and pan fried in 2-ish tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil

I also made the baked egg rolls from this recipe... Suffice to say there were NO LEFTOVERS

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139988-baked-vegetable-egg-rolls-w-pics-73-calories-each?hl=egg+roll&page=18#posts-2898505
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    These all sound so yummy!! I don't know where to begin.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • youngtweezy
    youngtweezy Posts: 183
    Options
    I like it with pesto, lime & sauteed tomatoes. Delicious!
  • melissarlane
    melissarlane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ROTEL has become an American Favorite..... IT is a can of diced tomato's and Green Chilies it is spicy but we use it in almost anything. I have put it in my corn on my nacho's on top of Chicken dishes yeah almost anything.
  • melissarlane
    melissarlane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is a can of diced tomato's and Green Chilies
  • zaritaholness
    Options
    Ms Dash seasoning with red peppers and onion spray smart balance non stick spray heat pan place tilapia add a little water to steam serve over brown rice or add broccoli and serve with baked yams
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    i have tilapia i want to cook tonight but want a new way to do it! i always just season it and bake it! any new ideas appreciated! thanks! :flowerforyou:

It's hard to prepare it to give it flavor and not cross over the boarder of no longer being healthy. I season the hell out of it with a lemon pepper seasoning and add some pepper. I eat it with a couple servings of red potatoes and the red potatoes seem to either add or bring out the flavor a little.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    BBQ or bake, with lemon juice and fresh dill.
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had this one night at a restaurant then came home and found this recipe. Can't wait to try it!

Pecan-Crusted Tilapia

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons pecans -- finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 6 oz tilapia -- or snapper fillets
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil -- divided
    4 lemon wedges

Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish.

Combine buttermilk and hot sauce in a medium bowl; place flour in a shallow dish.

Dredge 1 fillet in flour.

Dip in buttermilk mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

Repeat procedure with remaining fillets, flour, buttermilk mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.

Heat 11/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

Add 2 fillets; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Repeat procedure with remaining oil and fillets.

Serve with lemon wedges.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 282 Calories; 8g Fat (25.7% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 74mg Cholesterol; 523mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 tilapia fillet)
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    2 - 4oz Talapia filets
    1- can diced tomatoes (15 oz) no salt added
    1 - can tomato sause (8 oz) no salt added
    1/2 cup onions
    2 lemon slices

Saute the onion in pan sprayed with Pam (Canola Oil) unitl lightly browned and soft. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and lemon slices. Season sauce to taste. I put season all, garlic powder, cayene peper, 1 teaspoon of sugar, onion powder. Cook the sauce for about 15 minutes. Add the fish at the end and let it cook in the sauce without stirring. It will only take about 5-10 minutes. Makes two servings and each is about 250 calories. Serve over rice (1/2 cup = 103 calories) In South Louisiana we call this a sauce picant.