Been here a week - thought I'd pop in and say Ello

Options
darrenham
darrenham Posts: 110 Member
I'm Darren. I'd been trying to get back into shape before by promising myself I'd eat healthily and do more exercise.

One of those was successful, the other wasn't, so I was advised to give this site a go by a mate and I'm impressed. Been here a week and lost my expected pound and probably a bit more.

I've got a BSc in Sport and Exercise Science and I was a national standard competitive swimmer in a past life, so I know what it takes both nutritionally and physiologically, I just needed something like this to motivate me and stop me kidding myself about the rubbish I eat.

You'll probably find me in the Exercise forum whining about people using the word tone and telling anyone who'll listen how spot training doesn't work. I might also dish out a bit of advice every now and again too.

That's me, nice to meet you all.

Replies

• darrenham
    Options
    Well... you're a quiet bunch aintcha?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Ello back atcha :smile:

I'm also edjumacated in sports science stuff and wish I could apply "Do what I say, not what I do" to myself more!
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am not educated in sports sciencey stuff, however since I have been more active and watching what I eat (that's not to say the choices are always good, but I'm always aware), I have been thinking that I may go back to school to become a nutritionist and also to study sports science and things just to be more informed as a nutrionist.

I'd love to have another friend(s) who have a good knowledge base and could improve or comment on my goals in fitness.

So....Ello to you too!
  • darrenham
    Options
    I was really struggling to take my own advice. The problem is whilst I loved learning during my degree, it's a tough (read: impossible) job to get into. I'm currently working in IT, which means sitting at a desk on my (previously steadily increasing) backside all day.

I'd guess that without MFP forcing me be honest with myself about what I was eating, I'd continue to bloat. However, 10days in and 2lbs down is great news. Just wish I could enter my weight in st and lbs.

I'd definitely recommend a proper education in the science of fitness and exercise. There's too much BS floating around, especially on the internet, that people end up being told 800 different things and not knowing which to follow. Then there's people who want to make a few quid by selling you the "secret to weight loss/6pack/big muscles/bikini bod etc.". Then here's something like MFP giving that "secret" away for free :D