What's your favorite recipe with Black Beans??

Options

Replies

• mickeymouse38
    mickeymouse38 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Soup
    This is so simple. When I make black bean soup and there is never any left over. I cook them over night in the slow cooker.

dice 1 onion
    dice couple cloves of garlic
    1 bag of dried black beans
    1 box low sodium chicken broth
    1 cans tomatoes & chiles (rotel)
    1 can fire roasted tomatoes
    Cook until beans are soft. Use slotted spoon to scoop out beans and place in mixer (food processor) Blend til smooth.
    Be very careful blending hot beans
    I like to blend most of the beans and leave some whole. My kids like it smooth.
    Return beans to pot and mix with broth. it will thicken

Serve with green onions, low fat sour cream or cheese.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I love black beans but I never cook with them, but a few days ago I made Charred Corn Salad with Black Beans. I saw Jamie Deen make it on his cooking show. It was really good. I had the last of it for dinner tonight. Here's the recipe.

Charred Corn Salad

Ingredients
    2 ears corn on the cob, husked
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Juice of 1 lime
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
    1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    3 thinly sliced green onions, whites and green parts
    1 clove garlic, minced

Directions

Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Char the ears of corn, rotating on all sides, in the dry skillet until lightly blackened and charred, about 15 minutes. Let cool, and then remove the kernels from the cob with a sharp knife.

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.

Add the black beans, tomatoes, rice, red onions, green onions, garlic and cooled corn to a large bowl. Toss with the lime vinaigrette.

Another good one!
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump for later:-)
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My husband makes an ***amazing*** Brazilian feijoada, ("fay-zho-A-da"). it's a black bean and salted pork stew, served over rice. Sweet jeebuz, you will cry when you taste it! It is so stinkin good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/feijoada-brazilian-black-bean-stew/
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 onion, chopped
    1 pepper, chopped
    1 Jalapeño, chopped
    2 cups water
    1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
    1 (16 ounce) can canned black beans
    1 (16 ounce) can canned chili beans
    1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.

Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, black beans and chili beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, jalapeño and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.

Servings Per Recipe: 8 (1 cup)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 185
    Total Fat: 6.1g
    Cholesterol: 42mg
    Sodium: 450mg
    Total Carbs: 18.8g
    Dietary Fiber: 6.4g
    Protein: 16.4g
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Got brownies in the oven now - hope they come out well.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    tortilla sp, cut out the chips and cheese out of the allrecipes recipe and it is super healthy and tasty :)
  • swagner73
    swagner73 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has posted this or not, since there are 11 pages of recipes :laugh: but we do black bean tacos once a week. Super easy - drain & rinse your black beans & heat them on the stove along with a can of Ro-tel spicy tomatoes. Once hot, use your favorite taco toppings. (I'm sure someone else has a more sophisticated recipe than this. I have 2 teenagers involved in everything so my dinners are super simple.)
  • sueceeq
    sueceeq Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bumping to sift through later. Thanks!!
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    I improvised yesterday, but ended up loving the result!

-1 can beans (I used borlotti) (don't drain!)
    -1 can pre-cooked spelt
    -1 tbsp. tomato sauce
    -salt
    -pepper
    -parsley

Heat two teaspoonds of olive oil in a pan or skillet, dump the beans WITH THEIR SAUCE, and add the tomato.
    Stir and cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes, adding parlsey and plenty of salt and pepper.
    When the the sauce has reached the right constintency (you can have it as thick as you like, or runny if you're more in the mood for a soup), add the spelt and stir well.
    I serve it on a warm corn tortilla.

Tips:
    -You can definitely use dry beans and dry spelt, but pre-cooked obviously saves time. It comes together in five minutes tops!
    -The first time around, I drained my beans. It comes out more like a salad, with very very little sauce and the ingredients are less blended. It's equally delicious, just depends on how you like it ;)
    -you can rice if you prefer (but spelt has fewer calories, I think)

bon appetit!
  • LNZimmer
    Options
    bump - i made those black bean brownies a long time ago and they were good! Just didn't realize i had to put em in the fridge. they were GROSS by day 2! HAHAHAHA

Now - Mind you, I was very young (early 20's) and really had never done much cooking before that (eating out a lot - leading to having to lose a lot of weight)

I am older...and a tiny bit wiser. :)
  • hazelmaud
    Options
    Hi. There's a black bean soup recipe on Food.com. Under Restaurant Food. It's a bit vague but best direction I can remember.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Mishi1369
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    bump
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump

I love black beans and have been using them quite a lot. You can check out my blog http://experimentinginthkitchen.blogspot.com/.