How many hours per week do you workout?

Options

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I'm not very strict with myself. At a healthy weight too much exercise can have a bad effect (especially cardio).

Can't say as I agree with that statement, but to each his own.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    7-10 hours a week.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    12 hours but that's counting walking for an hour on my active rest day and an hour stretching on my other rest day.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm not very strict with myself. At a healthy weight too much exercise can have a bad effect (especially cardio).

Can't say as I agree with that statement, but to each his own.

I know what they are saying... For me I have to time my cardio to keep from losing the muscles that I have worked so hard to carve out. I have actually lost strength and chest muscle by running too often and not eating back enough protein to recover.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I know so much more now than before :)

I workout for about 4 hours a week. That's it. Rough schedule:

Mon: 30-40 lifting
    Tue: 30-40 teach a cardio class
    Wed: 30-40 lifting
    Thu: rest
    Fri: 30-40 teach cardio, 30-40 lifting
    Sat: rest
    Sun: group class (20-40 min cardio)

Too much cardio can absolutely have negative effects.

1. Resistance builds muscle.
    2. Cardio builds fitness.
    3. Nutrition controls weight.

Don't mix up 2 and 3. :)
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Depends on if I'm training for a race. On a regular basis, I do: 4 hrs of running/wk and 1.5hrs/wk strength training (upper body) and 1 hr/wk Ab work. Sometimes I'll do some yoga or a P90X plyo or legs & back video workout but that is rare. If I'm training, I'll do an extra 2 hrs of running.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My normal schedule is: about 2 hours fifteen minutes a week trail running (3 runs), around two hours 15 min strength training (3X of P90X or Supreme 90), and two and a half to three hours cycling (3 + rides). When weather prohibits cycling I do cardio dvd's such as Plyo-X and Tabata Inferno, but usually less time and frequency. That usually gives me a total of seven/eight or more hours a week spring, summer, and fall with more like five or six hours in the winter. I'm not adding in walks with my wife just because they are so low intensity; if added that would add an additional hour and a half. That is a fairly aggressive schedule for me but I have ben doing it for four years now. I should qualify that at 58 my intensity is not what it once was. My runs are really jogs and I take walk breaks. And when I was in my thirties I could average 19 mph or so on a road bike ride. Now I'm averaging thirteen to fifteen but it feels just as hard and just as good.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Well it varies, normally between 10 to 14 hours. Normally I do no less than an hour and a half but lately I've been doin no less than 2 hours a day @ the gym. And I usually go 6 days a week. But this week I am goin 7 days and I am gonna try to keep doin that for a while. Plus I wanna start doin a double workout @ least once a week where I include in either outside walkin (3 miles) or doin 1000 steps (an uphill mountain walk or run)
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    probably between 7-8 hours for me. just depends on how busy my weekend gets ;)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I spin for about 2 hours a week and then lift for about 3 hours. Truthfully anything more than this is wasted effort if you do it properly.
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I roughly workout about an 1 1/2 hrs a day. I do weight training for 30mins and cardio for an hour. So about 9 hours a week with Sundays off.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    About 2.5 to 3 hours per week.

Two brief/intense heavy Crossfit-type circuits that take 20 minutes (followed by 15 minute ab sessions), one 15 minute Russian kettlebell circuit (followed by 15 minute ab workout), two 23 minute HIIT cardio sessions and one "easy" 30 minute incline walk on the treadmill. Six workouts, roughly 2.5 to 3 hours.

It's ALL about the intensity. LESS is MORE.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I work out 6-7 days a week and each workout averages around an hour. This week I am doubling up so between 1.5 and 2 hours a day times at least 6 days (haven't decided if working out Sunday yet!)

Typical week - between 6 and 8 hours working out
    This week - between 12 and 15 hours ...
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I usually workout between 4-6 hours a week. Sometimes I can get up around 10 if I do two long runs on Sat/Sun. I try to run at least 45 minutes (about 4-5 miles) two to three times a week and then I have workout videos I do at home at least 4 days.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Regularly, 5 hours a week of yoga classes, 2 hours of home practice. 1 hour a week of Zumba.

When weather and other priorities permit, I add 3 or more hours of rapid walking/jogging, sometimes all on one day, sometimes spread out (for instance, I walked 30 minutes before yoga on Monday and Tuesday. However, it's snowing now, so I'm likely to drive there after work and do my walking in a deserted stairwell at the assisted living facility my grandmother's in.)

Since most of my exercise is yoga, the changes have been slow, but steady. I'm stronger and more flexible, but it definitely wasn't a "holey cow! look at those muscles" kind of change.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Oly tri-training right now, and it's about 10-12 hours a week. Fun!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I spin for about 2 hours a week and then lift for about 3 hours. Truthfully anything more than this is wasted effort if you do it properly.

If you're training for an event, longer durations are necessary.
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    5 to 7 depending on what I have going on and how much of a workout I can get in, but it's typically 45 minutes to an hour ten minutes every day with maybe one day off a week, if that.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am there 9 hours a week. I do YOGA, a group core class a couple days a week, do cardio and strength train 3 days a week and then 3 days a week I do HIIT. I do enough as it is I dont need anymore. Wednesdays and Fridays I burn 1500-1800 calories a day in exercise.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    15 hours total, but that's a fairly new schedule for me. For the majority of my weight-loss journey, I was doing 7 to 10 hours per week, but I'm pretty close to my goal now, and the last pounds/inches are being incredibly stubborn, so over the past month, I have added some extra cardio, and I'm currently re-working my diet to clean up some of the non-essential fat and sugar. I'm hoping to get to goal by the end of June. At that point, I will cut back on the cardio, but I plan to maintain my current strength training routine, which is a total of 3 hours per week.