Celiacs, Anyone found a GF Protein Powder??

Options
So i'm going to be starting a job that's super early in the morning, so cooking at 3am isn't much of an option. I was wanting to start making protein shakes or something, but i can't seem to find a brand thats labeled GF protein powder, and with the slew of chefs latly knowingly glutening Celiac patrons, i worry without the label that if i get sick i'm screwed. Any suggestions/reccomendations?? i should also note that i'm not really a fan of nut butters, or really nuts in general. SO i know i limited myself there, cause the few recipe searchs i've done always suggests a nut butter for protein, and my flaxseed meal doesn't really have teh aoun tof protein i was hoping to get. I may be reaching alot here, and i'll just haveto cook, but i figured i'd tap all your lovely peoples knowledge first :-D thanks in advance!!

Replies

• allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try greek yogurt with pumpkin and granola, it's not a protein shake but it has a lot of protein to get you going
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Arbonne now has a health/fitness line and I believe all of their products are GF!
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try greek yogurt with pumpkin and granola, it's not a protein shake but it has a lot of protein to get you going

being celiac, i react to oats, and yes even the ones labeled GF. but thanks for trying to help.. :D
  • mayandreamer
    mayandreamer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Brown Rice proteim powder that says it's Gluten, Soy and Lactose Free. It's Heartland Gold Organic (sprouted non-GMO). But I will warn you that it's very gritty. It needs to be mixed with something to help with the texture.

But I have also heard there's supposed to be a good hemp one out there. That should also be gluten free.
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    The Brewer's Yeast I use actually has more protein in it than my protein powder, and it's gluten free.

Lewis Labs Brewer's Yeast:
    per 2 tablespoons (30g)

16g protein, 6g fiber, and a whole bunch of trace minerals.
  • bmonahan115
    Options
    The Brewer's Yeast I use actually has more protein in it than my protein powder, and it's gluten free.

Lewis Labs Brewer's Yeast:
    per 2 tablespoons (30g)

16g protein, 6g fiber, and a whole bunch of trace minerals.

holy cow!! now that's what i'm talking about!!! haha is this a specialty product or would the run of the mill grocery store have it you think? (i assume in the baking section, but please correct me this product sounds amazing) from what i understand of eating yeast is that it also helps to regulate your BM's in the same way as yogurts, is that true? thank you again!
  • bmonahan115
    Options
    I have a Brown Rice proteim powder that says it's Gluten, Soy and Lactose Free. It's Heartland Gold Organic (sprouted non-GMO). But I will warn you that it's very gritty. It needs to be mixed with something to help with the texture.

But I have also heard there's supposed to be a good hemp one out there. That should also be gluten free.

yeah, the unfortunate end of being GF is all tese rice products, and their grittiness hahaha but i do really dig it's non-GMO, i can't find anything hemp labeled GF (and i really focus on it being labeled as such, even if it's natrually GF, without that label it will not ener my body) but if you find the product name i'd be super pumped if you shared it. thank you for responding!! :D
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    Options
    NNW, but that might be regional to me (Nebraska). It's labeled GF and "diabetic friendly".
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You do? Is that common?

That was how I came to realize I need to eat gluten free is cause of oatmeal. I tried the gf ones and had the same reaction, the reaction is worse than just about anything else I have.

being celiac, i react to oats, and yes even the ones labeled GF. but thanks for trying to help.. :D
  • Becky1971
    Options
    I was just looking into protein powders today, I'm gf, but didn't think there would be any in these powders, guess I still have a lot to learn. lol Good thing you mentioned this.
  • bmonahan115
    Options
    You do? Is that common?

That was how I came to realize I need to eat gluten free is cause of oatmeal. I tried the gf ones and had the same reaction, the reaction is worse than just about anything else I have.

yeah it is realtivly common unfortuntly, not only do they often grow oats on the same feilds as wheat, but the GF ones, unfortunatly oats makes up so closely resembles the roteins in wheat that my (As well as many on celiacs) tend to react to the those proteins the same. yeah, i actually didn't realize until eating GF for almost a year and than trying to GF labeled oats, and had the same reaction, so i grond it up and make a crumble for the gluten eaters in my family, so they were happy and ididt have to waste those expensive oats hahahaha.
  • bmonahan115
    Options
    I was just looking into protein powders today, I'm gf, but didn't think there would be any in these powders, guess I still have a lot to learn. lol Good thing you mentioned this.

yeah, i don't really tust anything not labeled GF anymore now that i've realized there are companies that think it's a fad like trans-fat diet fad, and i could potentially get glutened. so far the brewers yeast seems to be the safest bet for us living GF. for the lower calories and high protein content. i'm glad to help, even living over 2 years GF, i still have things to learn. :D
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is a meal replacement shake put out by Beachbody (the same people who put out Trubojam, Turbofire, P90X, etc.). It's gluten free.

Here is the nutrition facts for both the chocolate and greenberry flavors.

Chocolate - http://shakeology.com/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=1d66051a-61fd-4199-841b-16d24dae4c7b&groupId=59860

Greenberry - http://shakeology.com/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=ec8c9e06-5208-4177-8ed3-c43696462193&groupId=59860

Hope this helps.
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    holy cow!! now that's what i'm talking about!!! haha is this a specialty product or would the run of the mill grocery store have it you think? (i assume in the baking section, but please correct me this product sounds amazing) from what i understand of eating yeast is that it also helps to regulate your BM's in the same way as yogurts, is that true? thank you again!

I order mine online but a local health food store may have it, too. Brewer's yeast is different from the kind of yeast used for baking (and different than nutritional yeast)-- I'm not sure about the BM regulation part but the high fiber content certainly doesn't hurt! :-)

I will say this: add it to a strong flavored shake-- it's flavor is kinda potent (tastes vaguely like peanut butter, though, so that's nice) and you might try working in 1 tablespoon before you go to two. I also bake with it and will add a tablespoon here or there in PB cookies, fudge brownies, etc. :smile:
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options

yeah, the unfortunate end of being GF is all tese rice products, and their grittiness hahaha but i do really dig it's non-GMO, i can't find anything hemp labeled GF (and i really focus on it being labeled as such, even if it's natrually GF, without that label it will not ener my body) but if you find the product name i'd be super pumped if you shared it. thank you for responding!! :D

I use Source Naturals Brown Rice Protein Powder. Gluten free. Both this and the brewer's yeast I mentioned are in the MFP database if you want to check them out.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    I was on WW, the plan changed, so I had more points and could have more food, so I decided to start eating oatmeal for breakfast. And that was when it started for me. SO I thought it was an oatmeal allergy, and changed to Cream of Wheat, bad idea. So switched to Rice cereal. And that was fine. Then learned about the gluten stuff and what not, so I tried GF oatmeal, and was so disappointed in the same results. So now I have a bunch of oatmeal, a bunch of gf oatmeal, a tub of cream of wheat, and a box of rice cereal, I was just thinking today I better throw em out, cause no ones going to touch them. I dn't even eat the rice cereal anymore, cause of the calories, and I eat rice cakes, rice chips, and rice spaghetti. lol
    You do? Is that common?

yeah it is realtivly common unfortuntly, not only do they often grow oats on the same feilds as wheat, but the GF ones, unfortunatly oats makes up so closely resembles the roteins in wheat that my (As well as many on celiacs) tend to react to the those proteins the same. yeah, i actually didn't realize until eating GF for almost a year and than trying to GF labeled oats, and had the same reaction, so i grond it up and make a crumble for the gluten eaters in my family, so they were happy and ididt have to waste those expensive oats hahahaha.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I started using Olympian Labs Pea Protein after Bob Harper from the Biggest Loser suggested it for vegans and people with food allergies. It's 100% Gluten Free, according to their website.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    I like Rainbow Light. It is Gluten, dairy AND Soy free. Pretty much the only one I can use. I usually mix the chocolate at 1 scoop to 2 cups of hemp milk. I also use an immersion blender. Just tried the Açai this morning and may go to a half and half with the chocolate.

http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=5f3b5a56-22df-4199-8b9d-c276449ab643

I haven't tried the thin berry or the whey.
  • mayandreamer
    mayandreamer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    it turns out the other powder I was told about was a pea protein, not hemp. And checking the website for about it, there's nothing about it being GF. It's lactose free and vegetarian, but that won't help you. (Absolute Vegetarian Protein)

sorry.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Here is a gluten free hemp protein powder. I have no idea what hexane is.

http://nutiva.com/products/hemp-protein-powder-organic/

Ingredients: 100% raw organic hemp protein powder. NO hexane, gluten, dairy, lactose or sweeteners.