Favorite Quotes

Options
LynnW52
LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
I love reading witty, ironic, and interesting quotes. Please share some of your favorites, and who the quote is attributed to if you know.

A couple of mine are:

"Expecting good things to happen to you in life because you are a good person, is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian" Unknown

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday, would you have much?" Unknown

Replies

• smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon - Author Unknown
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am not sure who origianlly said it, but this is something my grandmother used to say when she was losing weight. "Nothing taste as good as being skinny feels."
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have a couple:

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing." -Unkn
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
    "It's not against the law to be a dumbass, but some people exploit the privelege." -Instructor in my Paramedic school
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is tattooed on my arm:

At night the bats will beat on the trees, knowing it all, seeing what they sensed all day....by Anne Sexton

Also:
    All night dark wings flopping in my heart. Each an ambition Bird.....by Anne Sexton

Leave my Loneliness unbroken....by Edgar Allen Poe

Dying is an art, like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell. I do it so it feels real. I guess you could say I've a call......by Sylvia Plath

“I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn.” .....by Dorothy Parker

“You can drag a horticulture, but you can't make her think.”..... by Dorothy Parker.....(this was done when she was challenged to use the word horticulture in a sentence)

“This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.”...also by Dorothy Parker

And:

If you are still enough you can hear the world breathe....by....A Faerie (Me)

I have others by Poe that are in my sig......
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    If you want something you have never had, you must do something you have never done. mine...I am sure I am not the only one who ever thought of it but has been my quote for 20 years.

If you believe you can achieve..Mine

Life will only ever give you what you expect from it. Mine

I use alot of quotes in my work.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday, would you have much?" Unknown

I love this thanks for sharing.

"One need not violate the principles of God to obtain the blessings of God...the unseen king is able!" ~ Mark Rutland
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Happiness lies neither in vice nor in virtue; but in the manner we appreciate the one and the other, and the choice we make pursuant to our individual organization.
    Marquis de Sade

It is not my mode of thought that has caused my misfortunes, but the mode of thought of others.
    Marquis de Sade

"We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and -- in spite of True Romance magazines -- we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness."
    — Hunter S. Thompson (The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman 1955-67)

"THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"
    — Hunter S. Thompson
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Stupid should hurt, but not forever.-Me

It's not the years, it the miles. -Chris LeDoux

ALL bleeding stops eventually- Unknown, but commonly heard in Emergency Departments

Can I get a beer please?-Me again.

Ted
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself." ~Richard Bach

"Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful. Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance. Look at the flowers - for no reason. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are." ~Osho

"Be brave enough to live creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. You cannot get there by bus, only by hard work, risking and by not quite knowing what you are doing. What you will discover will be wonderful; yourself."
    ~Alan Alda (1936 - )

"If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me."
    ~Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884 - 1980)
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take;But by the moments that take our breath away…..
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear ---Norm Peterson, Cheers

Mom: Why are you pulling that tarp across the yard?
    Dad: You ever tried to push one? (my dad could be a smart *kitten* sometimes :laugh: )
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    If you want to enjoy the rainbow, you must first endure the rain - unknown

Half of what you worry abuot never happens and the other half you can handle! - unknown

The average woman would rather have beauty over brains; because the average man can see better than he can think - unknown
    (I had to throw a funny one in there, *not meant to insult!!*)

It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it -
    but its also true that we don't know what we are missing until it arrives.

"whatever you are, be a good one" - Abe Lincoln

"Nobody can go back and make a new beginning; but anyone can start today and make a new ending" - Maria Robinson

Thanks Lynn, for asking for these! It's super fun to read! I have a board at work that I post this type of stuff on for my employee's and they love it....and I LOVE new material!!
  • BamBam1113
    Options
    Here's one I forgot. Not really a quote, but good advice to live by anyways.

"Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time."
  • BamBam1113
    Options
    **BUMP**
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    "I never had the luxury of saying it couldn't be done."

-Hartley Anderson (my grandpa)

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
    It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.
    We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
    talented and fabulous?
    Actually, who are you not to be?
    You are a child of God.
    Your playing small does not serve the world.
    There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
    people won't feel insecure around you.
    We were born to make manifest the glory of
    God that is within us.
    It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
    And as we let our own light shine,
    we unconsciously give other people
    permission to do the same.
    As we are liberated from our own fear,
    Our presence automatically liberates others."

—Marianne Williamson
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • lalabean40
    Options
    We are not humans on a spiritual journey but spirits on a human journey. Author Unknow
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Humankind. Be both. - Unknown (saw this on a bumper sticker during the morning commute today)

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - A.A. Milne

The truly great tragedy is the destruction of our human resources by our failure to fully utilize our abilities, which means that most men and women go to their graves with their music still in them. - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Words are just words, our actions define us. - A friend told me this once, I'm not sure if she heard it elsewhere though.

Nature is the art of God. - Dante Alighieri
  • BassClarinetist
    Options
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into a mutual weirdness and call it love." Dr. Suess