13»

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Why give it up? Coffee is a beautiful thing. Love my morning cup. :love:
  • sociable15
    Options
    I attempted a few years ago and did well. I cut back then switched to half decaf then cut it out. I got pretty massive terrible headaches for about a week but then it went away. I was good for about a year....then I started graduate school. And, four years later, i'm at the tail end of said graduate school and slammed in the thick of my thesis research. And 40 hours of work. And a 2 1/2 year old. And planning a wedding and buying a house.

Needless to say I'm back drinking coffee.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The crazy think is, I hardly touch the stuff at home, it's just through the week at work. I notive on a weekend I get a fuzzy head so I purposely make a cup and the fuzzyness goes away. Should I go cold turkey or limit myself to so many cups per day?

My uncle is 92 and made the hard choice to give up his lifelong pleasure, coffee. After finally making the transition he had a regular doctors visit and his doctor ordered him to drink one cup a day - due to heart rythrm problems and other issues. He is presently undecided, but probably going to follow the doctors advice. You can check it out on webmd or similar.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    When I gave it up, I drank green tea and I only had one minor headache on day two. I was drinking between 6 and 8 cups a day. I have since gone back to it, but now I only add fat free cream. I was having cream and sugar in every cup.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you gave up then I want to be like you, you look like a sea captain or something. That's awesome!

:laugh: RoadDog, the sea captain... ARRRRR :laugh:

That stings a little bit for a Marine. No Marine wants to be called a Sailor. Ooof!

Thats only because the Marines are part of the Navy.. lol.. but shh don't tell them that they don't like to be reminded of it.

on a different note, coffee actually pulls the calcium from your bones.. just another reason to consider breaking or limiting that habit. I never did become a coffee drinker despite being a sailor for 6 years.... i do fru fru coffees occasionally but dont like the normal stuff.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I made myself switch to half and half, and it is GROSS. Makes me not want to drink as much. Also, picked up green tea, and I brew it hot, so that I still get that "comfort" lol.....Now I don't even get a headache if I don't have my coffee which is awesome considering I am a recovering 12 cup a day addict. :P
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee for almost 4 years.. At first I had headaches, fatigue, and nausea.. It only lasted about a week.

I did start drinking coffee indulgently in July and now I am full on addicted again! LOVE MY FRENCH PRESS! LOL

I am not giving it up anytime soon. This isn't the worst vise in the world.. I love my coffee and tea. It could be worse right? Say doughnuts, candy bars, crack, smokes..

LOL, good luck. You can do anything you put your mind too. I gave up smoking just over 8 years ago.. Truly, the key is wanting to.
    You can do it! The withdrawl isn't that bad! Just have something to replace your coffee with like water or smoothies.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I suggest taking up crack, as it will be easier to quit then coffee :laugh: :laugh: I :heart: my coffee :drinker:
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey Crack-head~ lmao!... I will never give coffee up...EVER! I gave soda up thats enough in my book. Can't take everything i love away from me! I refuse to let go of the one thing i love the most in life following my better half & children ofcourse!~ I do feel guilty about the way i drink it cuz i love all the flavored creamers~ Almond Joy ROCKS!!! I will cut calories somewhere else in my diet thankyou!!!~ Good luck!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

That stings a little bit for a Marine. No Marine wants to be called a Sailor. Ooof!
    [/quote]

Thats only because the Marines are part of the Navy.. lol.. but shh don't tell them that they don't like to be reminded of it.

[/quote]

I don't have any problem with the Navy. They always got us to the battle on time.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    [

[/quote]

I don't have any problem with the Navy. They always got us to the battle on time.
    [/quote]

hahaha I have to brothers-in-law that are ex-navy. I bet they would take exception to that statement!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would never give up coffee... my children and co-workers don't want me to give up coffee!!!

I only have one LARGE cup (probably 2 cups of strong coffee) a day... EVERY DAY or I risk being taken away in a straight jacket or in hand cuffs! And there are lots of hand-cuffs where I work!!!!

L.
  • swiss31
    swiss31 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a cup of coffee since I was 7. I tried it, hated it, never wanted another sip. Now I hate everything about coffee, from the silly prices people will pay at Starbucks, to the awful smells... my dad is a chain smoker and I just see too many similarities in smoking and drinking coffee... they both are addicting (as you can read in this thread), they both stain your teeth and they both make your breath smell... both can be pretty expensive habits, and make you irritable when people say you need to stop... I'm just waiting for the first anti-coffee campaigns to start taking place and a surgeons general warning on all things containing caffine...

I guess I am one of the lucky ones that will never get into the coffee addiction. I like a warm cup of tea on occasion, but only when I'm sick. If I'm struggling to stay awake, I'll drink a Red Bull or take a NoDoze pill, which I know is terrible for me but sometimes you just have to.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm a cranky biotch without coffee. i limit myself to 2 cups per day. if i don't have caffeine i will get headaches. i am slowly trying to wean myself off though. i used to drink like 6 cups a day!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    But... how do you poop without coffee? :laugh:

I love my coffee too much to give it up (I love the Sugar Free creamers with it). I'm trying to get away from the "all or nothing" mentality and learn "everything in moderation." This includes my coffee (I try to stick to 1 or 2 cups a day).