What's your goal weight?? Why did you choose that number??

Options

Replies

• I am 5'7" and my goal weight is somewhere around 130, I chose that number bc is was in the healthy range for me on the bmi chart I looked at, and I have a long way to go! geez la weez!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my goal weight is somewhere around 130, I chose that number bc is was in the healthy range for me on the bmi chart I looked at, and I have a long way to go! geez la weez!
    I have a long way to go too - but we will get there will determination and moral support
  • That means a lot!
    Thanks!
    some days a A LOT harder than others, thats for sure!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I want to stay in the bottom third of the bmi chart's healthy range for my height. Why? Because I have a small frame and bad knees.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    10lbs over what I weighed when I got married. I've popped out 5 babies, figured I have to keep 2lbs per kid lol
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people need to read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/181080-mfp-s-most-common-user-pitfall-to-avoid

Picking a goal weight based off high school weight, or driver’s license stats doesn’t necessarily have any connection to what represents a healthy or reasonable weight for your age and frame.

I am 35 and 5’3” tall.

My goal weight is to be in the 130’s and/or wear size 6 to 8.

But my real goal is to look like a gymnast or an Olympic hurdler at ANY size and weight. That means a body fat percentage under 20 and large amount of lean muscle mass.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I set it to the highest end of a healthy weight for someone my height, but really I have a range I'd like to get into. I could be 10lbs higher or lower than what my goal is set at, I'm just going to re-evaluate when I get close to that weight. I have a pretty big frame and even when I was in high school and was very healthy and athletic I was considered overweight I just had a lot of muscle and not so much flab, so I'm not going for trying to be super skinny. I just want to get back my curves and muscle tone I had back then or close to it. I'm not really that worried about #'s on the scale, I'm personally more concerned with fitness and getting into shape.
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i am 5ft7" and my goal weight is 147 as its what i was when i was happier, and it will get me into the healthy BMI range :)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and my goal weight is 150. I've always wanted to be curvy and womanly when I lost this weight and I think 150 is still slim yet curvy. I'm assuming once I get to 150 I'll wanna go lower because it seems EVERYONE does it. I saw on the charts though that 150 is the perfect weight for my height.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Goal weights are dumb.
  • Lillyzar
    Lillyzar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and mine is 135. It's a healthy weight for my height and body type :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    5'-10" male
    didn't really have a specific number in mind when i started, more of a range.
    I am currently at "goal" which is 168-170. This weight range gives me a physique I am happy with.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 (barely) and my goal weight is between 109-115, whereever I start seeing my short stubby thighs start to look leaner. Most of my life I was 98-105lbs so I know that is a little lower than what I want to be since I am no longer a teenager. I want some curves and want to look like a woman, but anything over 115 (which I am above right now) makes me look too round, over weight, and makes me look short and stubby :(
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    Goal weights are dumb.

And why is that exactly??
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    I am 5'5" and my goal weight is 110. Which is in the underweight zone for me, but, i can't quite come to terms yet that i may not be able to get to that healthily. We will see. I may reevaluate at 125...

5' 5 and goal weight is 110?! Yikes
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    And why is that exactly??
    Pretty easy answer actually. Because weight is a bad measurement for what we're all striving for -- a healthy body that's nice to look at. Weight fluctuates with water weight, stuff in your digestive system, etc. It would be much better to strive for a certain body fat percentage or to strive for certain measurements. But, the fact of the matter is that you could look a whole lot better at 140 versus 130. Ever heard of the terminology "skinny fat"?
  • yanksgurl613
    Options
    I'm 5"0. My goal weight is 115. I weigh about 126 now. I think it can be done. But taking off these last 6 lbs to get to my original goal of 120 has proved really hard. I'd like to be there by the summer I hope I can do it. I chose this number because I was about that weight at my wedding 3 years ago. Also my healthy weight is between 94-128 according to my bmi.
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    Yeah, but there is nothing wrong, or dumb, about shooting for a target range of weight to hit. That would be like saying it is dumb to be shooting to fit into a pair of jeans, or to lower your BMI to a certain number. A goal is to help keep you motivated to do the work to get to that goal
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and my goal weight was 140 (which I just hit this morning.....booyah!!). I picked that because I weighed somewhere around 130-132 when I got married 11 years ago and while I was very happy with the way I looked then, I know I have a lot more muscle now. Actually my goal is to stay between 140-145# - my doctor told me not to go any lower because being too thin (even at the lower end of the healthy BMI range) is a risk factor for osteoporosis.
  • JennHas2Ns
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal weight is 145. Any smaller than that on my frame doesn't look healthy. Oh, I can't wait!