PLANKS-- How long?

Options
A FB friend of mine posted some times from a Boot Camp Plank off they held! I couldn't believe the results!!

How long can you hold good form in simple plank position?

I making a pledge for the rest of the month to hold plank as long as possible and see if I can make some progress by the end of the month! Who says you have to wait till the beginning of the month to start :) Anyone else want to join in? Its just a plank, right? (lol)

Steph

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I usually do one around 45 seconds. Then one a little longer.
    Then my last one I do until I can't hold it any longer.

You'll build up endurance with them quickly, and will be able to last longer. "thats what she said"
  • leperleopard
    leperleopard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im totally in for this! My abs are nothing to be proud of, i can hard.y hold a plank for asimple minute.
    I want to be able to hold it for atleast five... And maybe have a flatter stomache along the way.
    Id love to compare plank progress (:
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    omg i hate planks! i suck so bad at them but we do them all the time in body pump
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    I do mine for about a minute. Just work your way up, keep adding a few more seconds every time you do it.
  • fanullona
    fanullona Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i'm in!!!
  • sneakers71
    sneakers71 Posts: 106
    Options
    I hate planks too - but I am totally up for this! I will post my "start time" tonight. thanks for starting this!
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    3 sets of 30 seconds and side planks are 3 sets of 45 seconds. It's starting to get easier :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Oh I want to do this!!!!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When I could afford t go to the gym my trainer had me doing plank and push up position. I can hold pushup position longer, but plank I start shaking around 20 seconds. Of course I have no upper body strength and my right shoulder is jacked up. But I make myself hold it for 30 seconds. The more you do it the easier it will get.

I will start tonight and post my times every day. lets see how can get there time up the most.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I can usually hold the first plank for one min. then less, and less..... How many are people doing in one routine???
    Would be interested in any other exercise people are doing to build up their abdominal muscles without hurting their back :-)
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I started with planks last night. I held it for 30 seconds rested for 60 seconds and then held it for 30 seconds and rested for 60 seconds and held it for as long as I could..for me was about 20 seconds..

Question, feet together or feet out to the sides a bit? I ended up doing mine at this point with my feet out to the side a bit.. I think it is cheating a bit, but I had to start somewhere... LOL
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Im in!!
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm in! My shoulder is finally better...what better way to test it out than good old plank! Will report times tonight after work.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I am up for this - I may not really love planks----but I absolutly love the results. I started doing them in boot camp and could barely hold up at all---my arms would shake bad. Then I got where I could hold it in very form for almost two minutes - hopeing to get back to that!!! So, this is a good challenge for me... I test and see where I am at tonight and post tomorrow!!

Good luck everyone!!!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do 30 s in the middle, then 30 on the side, 30 on the other, then 30 back in the middle, without resting/dropping inbetween
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I started with planks last night. I held it for 30 seconds rested for 60 seconds and then held it for 30 seconds and rested for 60 seconds and held it for as long as I could..for me was about 20 seconds..

Question, feet together or feet out to the sides a bit? I ended up doing mine at this point with my feet out to the side a bit.. I think it is cheating a bit, but I had to start somewhere... LOL
    From what my trainer told me last year, its feet together and butt down with your butt and back flat, your barely inches off the ground if you do it right.
  • getNskinny2day
    Options
    45sec to 1 min depending on what kind of plank i'm doing.. Have you guys tried jumping jax planks??? They are INSANE! My trainer introduced me to those last week and keeping good form is ridiculously hard, but when you do them right they are a heck of a workout!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I really need to start doing this. I can't even hold the position for a second, I suck.
  • JBatt123
    JBatt123 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm in.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me to 4 sets of Planks 15 seconds on 15 seconds off, bicycles 4 sets 15 reps, then crunches and reverse crunches 4 sets 20 reps each...i do this at the end of my workout M, W and F. I've got a looooong ways to go but I'm already seeing HUGE improvements in my strength and waist size :)