Chocolate Milk?? Really?

Options
13»

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I've heard that! My boyfriend uses it after an intense workout session, but he is a hardcore cyclist who would cycle 60 miles in a day! It apparently has all the fats and protein needed to replenish your body and some people add oats to it too! I suppose only use it if it's a really intense workout!

Exactly! Exercise alone is not reason enough to drink it.

Reposting this again....

"A drink like chocolate milk is most useful to a cyclist, swimmer, or long-distance runner. These sports stress high endurance levels and constant, sustained movement. Competing athletes need high levels of calories, carbs, and protein to sustain that level of performance."

So...think intense cardio activity of at least an hour or more. Pass on it if all you did was a 30 min walk on the treadmill (you probably just drank back all of your calories), or a short easy run.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have heard that. I think its a load of bologna :p Lol post workout should have protein and carbs (which chocolate milk has) but IMO i would go for something much better

Actually there have been several studies done and published in scientific journals finding that 1% chocolate milk beats all the commercial protein drinks as a post work out recovery drink. You can Google it and find the studies. Chocolate milk has the 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein that is desired. The only thing that beat chocolate milk was the combination of yogurt and an orange. All the popular protein recovery drinks performed less well. 1% chocolate milk: cheap, no fuss, and effective! I have it after all strength training workouts and after hard cardio. It's great! Only about 150 calories that goes right to work helping refuel and build muscle.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I heard this from a trainer. Supposedly, it has the protein your body needs after a workout and the carbs and sugar it needs too (yes, your body DOES need protein, carbs, and sugar after a strenuous workout). I usually drink a protein shake of different kinds but I can see why they some drink chocolate milk.

However, I have to agree with someone above that it is meant for STRENUOUS workouts of an hour or more. Like she said, if you only walked on the treadmill for a half-hour, you probably drank your calories back.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you mean that I have to get to a point where I can sustain a two hour hard cardio workout to earn a glass of chocolate milk? I have a long way to go.

new goasl: 1) work out hard 2 hours- reward glass of chocolate milk. 2)work out another hour to work off the glass of milk- reward half glass of chocolate milk 3)and so on :) Question to self: when do I earn a cookie?:drinker:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Probably because its a cheap form of protein and carbs.

I reach for a protein shake and oats personally.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    These are the studies I think people are referring to:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19234590

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16676705

It's a good choice after long endurance sessions. In fact, as somebody else has pointed out it outperforms and is cheaper than sports recovery drinks. That's hardly surprising though as most commercially available supplements are complete rip offs with no discernible benefit.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have heard it alot too after doing a rigorous weight routine but the ones you buy at the store are a meal in themselves