Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• Vegasboricua702
    Options
    So I take it you wake up every night at about 3 AM and eat something? In fact, you are already intermittently fasting for about 10 hours when you wake up. IF Leangains extends that by a few hours. So?

The "eat often to stoke your metabolism" myth has already been discounted in several studies.

Denzer CM - The effect of resistance exercise on the thermic effect of food - International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism

Bellisle F et al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70.

Westerterp KR et al. Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Mar;45(3):161-9

Taylor MA , Garrow JS. Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients ina chamber calorimeter. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):519-28.

Jones PJ et al. Meal frequency influences circulating hormone levels but not lipogenesis rates in humans. Metabolism. 1995 Feb;44(2):218-23.

Obviously you didnt read my reply to your previous post. Please scroll up.

obviously you didn't see that my post was not a response to you.

My apoligies. I mistook what you wrote.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    I glanced at the website, but you posted the basics (which any sensible person would know is unhealthy) in your original post. Is the following true or untrue?

You do not eat for 16 hours.
    You then eat your entire day's worth of calories in the other 8 hours.

If that is part of your diet (like you stated in your original post), that is unhealthy.

You want sources? Okay.

http://www.losing-bodyfat.com/eatmore.html
    http://www.thedietchannel.com/AskTheExpert/nutrition-healthy-eating/Meal-Frequency-How-often-should-you-eat.htm
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1144
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark75.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4711051_eat-lose-weight.html
    http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-and-Lose-Weight
    http://www.shapefit.com/lose-weight-eat-more.html
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Eat-More-Often-to-Lose-Weight&id=50599
    http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/food/improve/795.html
    http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/diets/eating-more.php
    http://www.nutrition-diet-healthy.com/diet-nutrition/eat-well-eat-often-to-lose-weight

Oh, and every reputable doctor and nutritionist. And I'm not talking about people who created or are funded by some fad diet babbling about how going against the basic concept of maintaining a healthy metabolism is going to help you lose weight -- OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT. You're starving yourself. If I stopped eating for the next week, I'd lose a lot of weight too. I lose a ton of weight when I fast (as described in my previous post), and then pile it RIGHT back on within the couple weeks' recovery.

If you want to continue down a path that is only going to do damage to your metabolism, go right on ahead, but don't try to debunk scientific fact without expecting to get countered.

Alright, I’m going to put this in the nicest, polite, and intellectual way I can without getting too personal. It just seems that people who never have tried Intermittent Fasting are the ones to knock it down so quickly. You “glanced” at the site, which means you probably didn’t read much more than a couple paragraphs on the front page. That’s fine. I read the site for about 16 – 20 hours before fully committing to this plan. If you found a diet and exercise plan that works for you, then more power to you. There is no one fits all diet, if there was obviously everyone would be on it.

There are diets for different people and lifestyles. I work nights, and this eating style fits my needs best. If you really believe I’m starving myself on this diet and plan, you are far from the truth. The fact of the matter is that I’m eating healthier than I have ever done before, while having some of the best improving and amazing workouts I’ve ever had. In a nutshell leangains is about building lean muscle mass while losing fat. Don’t believe me? Check my diary out. It has the times, meals, and supplements I take during the day.

I’m not going to sit here and regurgitate how leangains works, because fact of the matter is you probably don’t care and have your mindset that I’m wrong. Plus the website you “glanced” had all the information any skeptic could ask for. Please don’t come in here and knock down something that has been working for me. Results speak for themselves. I agree leangains isn’t for everyone, as is any diet. I would be lying to you if I told you the first week or so didn’t suck, but you would be amazed how the human body can adapt and what the mind can do. I’m sure you would know nothing about that since your career is a musician, while my occupation is military. Diet and exercise is nothing more than a mental state of mind. People who lack motivation, dedication and discipline are not successful at leangains, let alone diet and exercise.

Furthermore nutrition and exercise is my job. I have firsthand knowledge of what works and what doesn’t. I noticed you posted a link to bodybuilding.com, and I bet you wouldn’t guess who is an active member of that site? Martin Burkhan the creator of leangains. You can find him on any intermittent fasting thread on bodybuilding.com I would love for you to send him your sorry excuse for a reply that you tried to school me with to him, plus a link to this thread and see what he tells you. He of course knows way more than me about leangains, and would spit out works and scientific facts that would leave your simple sorry mind aching, which is probably part of the reason why you just “glanced” the website. You didn’t understand anything he had to say.

If you want more proof, that I’m starving myself and not gaining anything I would love to send you a link of my workout journal on bodybuilding.com. On second thought that would probably be a waste of time as you will probably just glance over that too.

Have a nice day.
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    Who is doing it? If you do not know what it is, I will tell you what it is in a nutshell. You basically fast 16 hours a day and eat 8 hours out of the day. You eat all your calories and macros in that 8 hour period.

www.leangains.com - The official site for Intermittent fasting

I've lost 13 pounds in 1 month doing this. It fits perfectly in my schedule because I work graveyard :)

Good job, but I've never tried it...might though. ((:
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Who is doing it? If you do not know what it is, I will tell you what it is in a nutshell. You basically fast 16 hours a day and eat 8 hours out of the day. You eat all your calories and macros in that 8 hour period.

www.leangains.com - The official site for Intermittent fasting

I've lost 13 pounds in 1 month doing this. It fits perfectly in my schedule because I work graveyard :)

Good job, but I've never tried it...might though. ((:

Read up on it at leangains.com Pretty much explains everything you need to do.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There have been several studies proving that humans can get all of their vitamins from the sun.
    There have been several studies proving that cigarettes do not cause cancer.
    There have been several studies that prove women cannot do math.

Just because such studies exist does not mean it is a hard and true fact.

For the other poster: No, I don't wake up at 3am and eat. But a 10-hour fast while I am ASLEEP (and/or not eating before bed) is not equivalent to a voluntarily fast after waking up or several hours before bed. A "few" is three. Six is six. This is not extending a sleep-based period of fasting for a "few" hours.

I actually looked a little more into the site than you suggest, and tried to locate any legitimate qualifications of your Lean Gains Leader outside of personal experience and a free blogging system (couldn't find a single one), but you did get one thing right: I'm not going to waste hours reading up on something I know is unhealthy just to prove someone wrong on a message board. I've already wasted enough time arguing with you. Tell you what Vegas... you record you weight, measurements, strength, etc today. Then send me an e-mail on April 19, 2012 to tell me how in shape you still are after continuing on this plan.

Over it, farewell and good luck.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Here is my informational thread off of just one month of being on the plan http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218717-1-month-transformation-12lbs-lost
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i was doing this even before i knew there was a actual name for it.

when i wake up, i have one cup of coffee. after that i have lunch around 2-3pm and dinner when i get home at seven.
    and repeat the next day.

it works just really well with my body and overall schedule. im not hungry in the mornings anyway and have more calories for a nice dinner.

so far i have gone from 163lb to 143lb without any real plateaus...
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    ooh, another intermittent fasting debate! Yes, I do it. I've done Eat-Stop-Eat and leangains. ESE is a longer fast, 20-24hours 1-2 times a week. Leangains is as stated. it's originator, Martin Berkhan has been doing it for years with no ill-effects - he looks great and eats plenty of calories.

A lot of "not eating enough" posts and data are based off of low calorie intake, not fasting. When many people think fasting they think "starving" and thus "starvation mode". However, YOU EAT THE SAME NUMBER OF CALORIES ON INTERMITTENT FASTING, JUST IN A SMALLER WINDOW. If you eat dinner at 5pm and have a "no eating after dinner policy, then eat again at 9am you have fasted for 16 hours! Are we to now have a policy that everyone has to make sure they get a snack before dinner? Based on what data?

Moreover, the whole point of fat is to provide energy in times of low availability of food. Fasting has been shown to increase fat burning enzymes, and a larger percentage of fat is lost during dieting. www.leangains.com has copious studies published by journals and authors of repute. CHECK OUT: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

I would paste it here but it's too long. I too was skeptical of intermittent fasting, but that was before I researched it and reaped its benefits.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Thanks for backing me up you guys!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Does your body adjust to the schedule? Sometimes I get pretty hungry in the mornings, other times not.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread about this in the food section of this board. Explains why there weren't a lot of replies. LOL

Been doing IF for about 2 weeks now. Schedule doesn't permit me to do it the Lean Gains way. I eat at 4:30am then fast until about 6:30pm. Take Purple Wraath BCAA's, Yohimbine HCL & Jack3D just prior to my 5:30pm workout. I do the Lean Gains IF on weekends though.

So far, so good.

I also eat Paleo.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Interesting. Does your body adjust to the schedule? Sometimes I get pretty hungry in the mornings, other times not.

Yes your body adjusts. it sucks the first couple of days, but then you get less hungrier for less and less time. I dont get any hunger pains in the 16hour period not.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Yes your body adjusts. it sucks the first couple of days, but then you get less hungrier for less and less time. I dont get any hunger pains in the 16hour period not.

I noticed this too. First time I did it on a Monday I was hungry by lunch but I caught a second wind at about 2pm and the hunger was gone. From there on out it's been smooth sailing.
  • maddiex_x
    maddiex_x Posts: 43
    Options
    When i read what you're eating, looks healthy enough to me. Besides, he isn't starving himself ALL day, he still eats.

Maybe I will try it. I work 4pm - 12am and usually don't eat while I'm at work. Then I get home, drink water, and go to sleep. In the morning I eat a quick breakfast, lunch, & then I'm off to work. hmmm wait ... have I been doing it without noticing? LOL.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. Sometimes I break it a bit early with just a protein shake. It was the final piece in the puzzle for me to finally get in great shape. Hope to hit my goals this summer.
  • Melzie2121
    Options
    You've got my interest (even with all the debate). I'm going to check out the site now. TFS
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the double post.
  • eileen7316
    Options
    Okay, triple post - sorry!
  • eileen7316
    Options

The "eat often to stoke your metabolism" myth has already been discounted in several studies.

This is correct. The latest studies show that snacking all day long is BAD. Three meals a day did not hurt our ancestors, and won't hurt us either.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I had great progress on leangains. It was good for me because it stopped my interminable snacking. It also taught me what true hunger and an empty stomach felt like. I ate hardy and my muscles bulged while the fat decreased. After a while it was a double-edged sword though because I found it hard with my usual dieting habits (that I fell back into) to get enough calories. For instance, I would eat a kale salad with chicken breast for lunch, some fruit, some nuts, and then a stir fry of some sort for dinner. It was easy to get under calories so I would just go with it when I should have made sure I kept my calories up. This coupled with vigorous exercise tired me out, and I went to a maintenance break. I will be back though

In truth, this method makes it easy to stick to your calories, but then you gotta stick with eating enough as well.