CLA or Fish Oil?

2»

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I've heard CLA should only be obtained from free-range meat products, so I wouldn't take it as a supplement.

I love fish oil! Look for mercury-free ones. :bigsmile:

Do you have any link supporting this claim?
    Read it in a book: Jillian Michaels "Master Your Metabolism" She's clearly not an expert in the field of nutrition. She wrote it with another woman. Take what you will. Here's the quote:

"A small amount of trans fats are also found in meat, created in the bellies of cows, sheep, and ghosts, but don't worry about these trans fats -- they're mainly good guys. These "ruminant" trans fats are not nearly as dangerous as industrially produced trans fats, and may have some health benefits. Research suggests that one, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), may reduce the risk of breast, prostate, lung, and skin cancer, as well as reduce body fat and enhance muscle growth. (Important note: These benefits of CLAs have not been demonstrated in supplemental form. In fact, several studies have linked CLA supplements to increased risk of insulin resistance, so please don't supplement with CLAs.)

Hormone Homework: Always choose organic meats and dairy and look for grass-fed options -- cows that are allowed to graze exclusively on grass produce milk and meat with 500 percent more CLAs than those fed grain."
This discussion has been closed.