Already angry this am.....

Options
live2smyle
live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
So I go to the grocery yesterday and order a ton of cold cuts for the kids & hubby's lunches. The first slices she shows me are way thin just the way I like it.

I go to make the sammy's this am and the ham is thick way way thick :explode: I guess my butt will be going back to the grocery store today to return this and make them slice it right. :mad:

Thanks deli lady for makeing me make another trip, adding an extra errand to my day & wasting my gas!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is anyone else like this with cold cuts or is it just me who likes to bunch it all up on there rather than haveing two big jumbo pieces of meat on it???

Replies

• charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I quit buying lunchmeat from the deli in our ONE and ONLY grocery store here in town. They constaintly sold me stuff that had a funk smell to it - and I got sick of it. Now, it's either homemade or pre-packaged all the way.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I buy the prepackaged stuff because I think it's a little cheaper. I really like the Aldi's Fit and Active brand. YUM.

Sorry your day has started off rough!

Know that I am sending cyber hugs!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I always ask them to shave the lunch meet. It comes out all clumpy, but it is much easier to work with for me.

--Carter
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I work for a premium deli meat distributor.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE>

Check out the ingredients on the pre-packaged crap. If the "ham" ot "turkey" has any other ingrdients in it, what they do is they take the nice turkey breast, liquify it, add all the other ground up parts, and alot of "filler" cereal, and usually this stuff called "carrogeanan" (every see a piece of ham or turkey with a little jelly-like spot? THATS carrogeanan. Its made from seaweed. Add water to the powder & it blows up to like 4 times its original weight. Consistancy of a jelly fish.

NOW since the filler & cereal dont actually TASTE like ham or turkey,they have to put it the artificial colors & flavors. Then they put in a turkey or ham shaped form & cook it so it LOOKS like a turkey. Sound appetizing??????????

Look on the label. If the ingredients have ANYTHING other than meat, water or seasonings then whay you have is about 30-40% real meat and the rest JUNK.

WHY DO YOU THINK ITS SOOOO MUCH CHEAPER???
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I buy my own roasts and organic turkey breasts roast them and use my electric slicer and make my own lunch meat.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE>

Check out the ingredients on the pre-packaged crap. If the "ham" ot "turkey" has any other ingrdients in it, what they do is they take the nice turkey breast, liquify it, add all the other ground up parts, and alot of "filler" cereal, and usually this stuff called "carrogeanan" (every see a piece of ham or turkey with a little jelly-like spot? THATS carrogeanan. Its made from seaweed. Add water to the powder & it blows up to like 4 times its original weight. Consistancy of a jelly fish.

NOW since the filler & cereal dont actually TASTE like ham or turkey,they have to put it the artificial colors & flavors. Then they put in a turkey or ham shaped form & cook it so it LOOKS like a turkey. Sound appetizing??????????

Look on the label. If the ingredients have ANYTHING other than meat, water or seasonings then whay you have is about 30-40% real meat and the rest JUNK.

Wow. Looks like my only option here in my podunk town is to make my own........crap! I'd buy it from the deli if it wasn't rotten most of the time I purchase it. Darn it.
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this I never knew that. I checked out my cracked pepper turkey breast and sure enough there was the carrogeanan now I don't even want to eat it.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    last time I checked no animals were born with artifical colors & flavors added
  • live2smyle
    Options
    <~~ Still pissed off about these cold cuts lmao. At $8 $9 $10 a lb I expect it sliced the way I freaking want it sliced haha
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow, that just sounds disgusting! I'm sooooo glad I'm not a huge deli meat eater! Thanks for the information. I'm sure a lot of people did not know that.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    <~~ Still pissed off about these cold cuts lmao. At $8 $9 $10 a lb I expect it sliced the way I freaking want it sliced haha

your absolutely right. You SHOULD take it back & complain.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    I'd be thrilled if how thick my lunch meat was sliced was the worst thing I'd have to deal with today, but unfortunately, I know it's not. :frown:

Life's awful short... :flowerforyou:
  • live2smyle
    Options
    I'd be thrilled if how thick my lunch meat was sliced was the worst thing I'd have to deal with today, but unfortunately, I know it's not. :frown:

Life's awful short... :flowerforyou:
    It is very short. I agree. Two days ago they forgot to bag the asprin I bought only a couple bucks an accident let it go. Things like that I let go.

This was on purpose. She showed me it sliced correctly then did not feel like slicing the meat that thin for the rest of the order. So she changed the setting on the slicer to make it thicker. That I will not let go. It's wrong. Not an accident. Pure laziness. :explode:
  • bhonniered
    bhonniered Posts: 228
    Options
    This was on purpose. She showed me it sliced correctly then did not feel like slicing the meat that thin for the rest of the order. So she changed the setting on the slicer to make it thicker. That I will not let go. It's wrong. Not an accident. Pure laziness. :explode:

Kelly - go kick her *kitten*! What a lazy punk! However, have fun doing it. :tongue:
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'M WITH YOU, I ALWAYS MAKE THEM SLICE IT, SHOW IT TO ME, CHEESE TOO. YOU PAY GOOD MONEY TO GET WHAT YOU WANT, THE WAY YOU WANT IT!! RED
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE>

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE>

Yuck , but thanks for the info. I just tossed my shaved deli select turkey breast in the trash. No more of that crap for me!
  • haylayne81
    Options
    SO GLAD I READ THIS!!!! ewww! Definitely going to have to clean out the fridge when I get home!
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    sounds like I'm not the first one to point out that deli meat is absolutely horrible. stay away.

on a side note. If the only thing that went wrong in my day was improperly sliced meat I'd call that a good day every time. take a deep breath. things could be worse.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I buy the pre-packaged deli meat from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Love it and it's sliced right and divided with paper to make it easier!