Already angry this am.....

Options
2»

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I work for a premium deli meat distributor.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE>

Check out the ingredients on the pre-packaged crap. If the "ham" ot "turkey" has any other ingrdients in it, what they do is they take the nice turkey breast, liquify it, add all the other ground up parts, and alot of "filler" cereal, and usually this stuff called "carrogeanan" (every see a piece of ham or turkey with a little jelly-like spot? THATS carrogeanan. Its made from seaweed. Add water to the powder & it blows up to like 4 times its original weight. Consistancy of a jelly fish.

NOW since the filler & cereal dont actually TASTE like ham or turkey,they have to put it the artificial colors & flavors. Then they put in a turkey or ham shaped form & cook it so it LOOKS like a turkey. Sound appetizing??????????

Look on the label. If the ingredients have ANYTHING other than meat, water or seasonings then whay you have is about 30-40% real meat and the rest JUNK.

WHY DO YOU THINK ITS SOOOO MUCH CHEAPER???

Eww - okay, now I'm afraid to look at the ingredients list on the stuff already in my fridge. :laugh:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Wow. Looks like my only option here in my podunk town is to make my own........crap! I'd buy it from the deli if it wasn't rotten most of the time I purchase it. Darn it.

Do they sell Hormel Natural Choice where you live? If you don't want to go to the deli, that might be a good option. http://www.hormelnatural.com/products/categories/sandwichmeat.aspx
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A couple of my kids are trying to convince me to grow our own pig this year. After reading this, I'm tempted a little more.
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    I stopped eating deli meat a few years ago. I was getting seriously ill from the sodium content. Now, if I want lunch meat for sandwiches, I will buy a roast or turkey, cook it the way I want it and slice it myself. So much better, and so much better for me.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    Wow. Looks like my only option here in my podunk town is to make my own........crap! I'd buy it from the deli if it wasn't rotten most of the time I purchase it. Darn it.

Do they sell Hormel Natural Choice where you live? If you don't want to go to the deli, that might be a good option. http://www.hormelnatural.com/products/categories/sandwichmeat.aspx

this is the ingredient list from that item off the hormel website
    Ingredients: Turkey Breast Meat, Water, Salt, Potato Starch, Turbinado Sugar, Rice Starch, Carrageenan (from seaweed), Baking Soda, Natural Flavoring, Lactic Acid Starter Culture (not from Milk).
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks guys for the info! I never knew the deal on those packaged deli meats, I usually get the sliced to order meats....and yes, I like it cut my way too! That's why it's sliced to order right?? Ugh. Hope your day turns around, it's still early - there's great hope! =]
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'd be furious! Gas ain't cheap!! I don't eat deli meat, but my parents always get theirs shaved. They also typically get it, sounds silly, from the same. person. They go to Wegmans, and my brother works there so they pretty much know most of the employees. They have a specific kid who slices it JUUUST right. My mom is like goldie locks with her freaking meat haha. But she's paying for it!!! So you should totally get what you want. Maybe try talking to a manager and see if they can do anything for you!!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

this is the ingredient list from that item off the hormel website
    Ingredients: Turkey Breast Meat, Water, Salt, Potato Starch, Turbinado Sugar, Rice Starch, Carrageenan (from seaweed), Baking Soda, Natural Flavoring, Lactic Acid Starter Culture (not from Milk).

I didn't even see that. I had looked at the package of ham we have and it didn't look too bad.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    Wow. Thanks guys for the info! I never knew the deal on those packaged deli meats, I usually get the sliced to order meats....and yes, I like it cut my way too! That's why it's sliced to order right?? Ugh. Hope your day turns around, it's still early - there's great hope! =]

some of the "sliced to order" deli meat has just as much crap in it. Ask for nutritional info of what you buy.
  • crusinforlosin
    Options
    the deli's around here,have really gone down in quality.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    man its gross enough learning what they do to "healthy" deli meats, can you imagine what they do to chicken nuggets??? *shudders*