MFP Runner's Club 8/7

Options

Replies

• bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    No run again for me.

Did 55min elliptical instead. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the advice Mirielle. It is hard to be patient while recovering. I have a gym membership and will try the elliptical. Any trouble with hips or sciatic nerve flares with it?

Shannon - Wow! a 1/2 marathon. You are my idol. Have a great run!
    Bunny
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Banks...good luck tonite, I hope you beat superman's race time :laugh: :laugh:

Shannon good luck to you too!

I got a mini run in this am, 2.5 miles plan on another one this afternoon. I don't know if I will ever get to super human speed like ol' banks but I did some back tracking after reading banks' log yesterday and discovered I have cut 9 minutes from my 5k time so it's getting better.

Really, all of you are fast, makes me feel like I am taking a stroll along the beach, but you all keep motivating me everyday to try a little harder! I guess a big thank you is in order :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    No run again for me.

Did 55min elliptical instead. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the advice Mirielle. It is hard to be patient while recovering. I have a gym membership and will try the elliptical. Any trouble with hips or sciatic nerve flares with it?

Shannon - Wow! a 1/2 marathon. You are my idol. Have a great run!
    Bunny

Thankfully, I haven't had any sciatic nerve problems while doing the elliptical (thank God). My sciatica sometimes kicks in when I'm running but I normally keep going and it eventually goes away (after 5 minutes or so). It's painful but if I stop it will get worse. I've learnt over the years to keep moving when it acts up or else it will get much worse. Stupid nerve! lol
    Sometimes being on the elliptical can be boring, so make sure you have some music or even a magazine to keep your mind busy. I hope you like it!
    Stay strong and before you know it you'll be fully recovered.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It's painful but if I stop it will get worse. I've learnt over the years to keep moving when it acts up or else it will get much worse. Stupid nerve! lol

I have learned the same thing about my plantar fasciatis (sp). The more active I am the warmer that area stays and the less pain I have. When I go a day or two without moving my heal starts to drive me crazy.

Sometimes working through the pain is a good idea, it's being aware enough of our bodies to know when our body is upset from lack of motion or it's ticked because we have truly hurt something.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your run Banks. I'm positive you'll get at least your 21 minute time. If you got 22 on a practice run, the adrenaline alone will get you below 21 for sure. I was running 10-11 minute miles on all my practices up to my half-marathon, but when it came to the race I ran 9:33's for the whole run even though the course was so much hillier than our practice runs. It was just because of the race environment. It's crazy how much faster you can go in a real race!
    Have fun!:flowerforyou:
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    have a great run banks and thanks for all of your support on this site!
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Race day today. Woo Hoo. 6:30 pm race. Wish me luck.

shooting for 20:45 or better on the 5K.

Lots of Luck!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Good Afternoon to all.
    Late day going for me today. We had late staying company last night, until around 1AM, so luckly I am not back to work yet and got to sleep in. :yawn: (Monday offically back to work) My poor husband though, he not so lucky.

But after waking at 10AM I talked myself into doing a treadmill work out. I did 4.25 in 60 minutes. It isn't very fast, but at least I stuck it out and pushed through and did pretty much a full work out for a treadmill. As I have said before, I prefer outside, because I just run and don't have to adjust my speed and for some reason just seem to run faster, longer on the road.:ohwell:

I am getting worried though about being able to run after next pump up. Kind of having a hard time with it right now, not very comfortable to run and I am afraid after next pump I may not be able to run. It is just one side in particular that is hurting, I am hoping it will "soften" or "loosen" up in the next week or so. :cry:

I feel so bad for the runners out there who are recooping and stuff and can't run, I don't want to be one of them. It could be months before I am done with this, like until January.:sad:

Good luck to all the racers out there. I am thinking of doing a half marathon instead of the 5k in long beach in October. There doesn't seem to be a 10k and that would have been the best, but if I could do 6.4 miles, why not 13mile???:noway: We will wait and see how it goes.
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    Good Luck Banks!

Good Luck Shannon!

Everyone is doing great today.....WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!!

I got up at 5am again and did a 10k today....just under 49 mins. Tomorrow is rest day and I am going to give 10 miles a try on Saturday morning. 9 is my longest so far so we will see how it goes:huh: :huh:

Count down to the 1/2 in Sept...gotta step it up!

Happy Running!

Ali:drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon to all.
    Late day going for me today. We had late staying company last night, until around 1AM, so luckly I am not back to work yet and got to sleep in. :yawn: (Monday offically back to work) My poor husband though, he not so lucky.

But after waking at 10AM I talked myself into doing a treadmill work out. I did 4.25 in 60 minutes. It isn't very fast, but at least I stuck it out and pushed through and did pretty much a full work out for a treadmill. As I have said before, I prefer outside, because I just run and don't have to adjust my speed and for some reason just seem to run faster, longer on the road.:ohwell:

I am getting worried though about being able to run after next pump up. Kind of having a hard time with it right now, not very comfortable to run and I am afraid after next pump I may not be able to run. It is just one side in particular that is hurting, I am hoping it will "soften" or "loosen" up in the next week or so. :cry:

I feel so bad for the runners out there who are recooping and stuff and can't run, I don't want to be one of them. It could be months before I am done with this, like until January.:sad:

Good luck to all the racers out there. I am thinking of doing a half marathon instead of the 5k in long beach in October. There doesn't seem to be a 10k and that would have been the best, but if I could do 6.4 miles, why not 13mile???:noway: We will wait and see how it goes.

Pump up????? Is that from your reconstructive surgery???

Take it as slow as your body needs, don't do any permanent damage. :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Banks!

Good Luck Shannon!

Everyone is doing great today.....WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!!

I got up at 5am again and did a 10k today....just under 49 mins. Tomorrow is rest day and I am going to give 10 miles a try on Saturday morning. 9 is my longest so far so we will see how it goes:huh: :huh:

Count down to the 1/2 in Sept...gotta step it up!

Happy Running!

Ali:drinker:

Thanks Ali!! :flowerforyou:

You're a lot faster then I!! Good job on your 10k! :drinker:
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    Good luck everyone on their races!

I am off to Boot Camp tonight!
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Walked two and ran two miles pushing double stroller. Whew! My little ones aren't so little anymore.:cry:
    Hopefully I'll get a good run in Saturday and Sunday, hands free.
    Good luck all.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    PTTHHHHHPPPPPP!!!!!

What happened to runners etiquette?

The stupid race had like 500 people, and I was stuck in the middle. I didn't even reach the starting line till about 30 seconds into the race.
    Then it took me 1/2 a mile to break out of the "Slow" pack cuz nobody was running on the right side like they are supposed to! Annoyed!!!

My time was 22:20, but my first mile was about 7:16, which is ultra slow for me (my practice splits are usually between 6:40 and 6:50 per mile). Even then, that course was way too packed. It was overall a very frustrating race. I could have cut at least a minute off the time if I was allowed anywhere near the front. I'm a little miffed at the organizers for not "suggesting" that the more leisurely runners stay near the back. I mean, I'm glad so many people participated, but that was ridiculous. Oh well. On the up side, I came back to my car to a message on my phone that our offer on the house was accepted. Woo Hoo, that hasn't sunk in yet though.

Keep running folks!

-Me
  • alimassa
    Options
    PTTHHHHHPPPPPP!!!!!

What happened to runners etiquette?

The stupid race had like 500 people, and I was stuck in the middle. I didn't even reach the starting line till about 30 seconds into the race.
    Then it took me 1/2 a mile to break out of the "Slow" pack cuz nobody was running on the right side like they are supposed to! Annoyed!!!

My time was 22:20, but my first mile was about 7:16, which is ultra slow for me (my practice splits are usually between 6:40 and 6:50 per mile). Even then, that course was way too packed. It was overall a very frustrating race. I could have cut at least a minute off the time if I was allowed anywhere near the front. I'm a little miffed at the organizers for not "suggesting" that the more leisurely runners stay near the back. I mean, I'm glad so many people participated, but that was ridiculous. Oh well. On the up side, I came back to my car to a message on my phone that our offer on the house was accepted. Woo Hoo, that hasn't sunk in yet though.

Keep running folks!

-Me

That sucks Banks! You should have remembered to bring a whistle to blow them all out of your way!!:laugh: :laugh:

Nice work on your time....even though you didnt like it very much, we are all much impresed!!

Happy Running!

Ali :drinker:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thanks ali! I appreciate it.

I don't want you guys to think I'm whiney, I'm just very self-competetive. I KNOW I can do better, and so I NEED to do better. That's pretty much all there is too it for me. I like that about me. My wife calls it stubbornness, potato potaaato. tongue_smile.gif
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I ran today!! The last real time I ran was high school gym class where, thanks to strep throat and asthma, I collapsed into a heap on the floor.

A few weeks ago I did 4 minutes walking followed by 1 minute running, repeated sequence 4 times.

Today, I ran 3x 1 minute intervals outdoors, the last run up a super steep hill.

While the rest of you are running marathons, I'm just as excited that I actually RAN today at all!

SUPER YAY! :bigsmile:
  • alimassa
    Options
    Lauryn- That is GREAT!!! You have to start somewhere....you will be logging miles in no time. Besides its best not to start too fast....A few years back I started running and over estimated myself into a nice stress fracture in my foot. Nothing says fun summer play time like a walking boot for 4 weeks!

Good luck...keep up the WONDERFUL work!

Ali
  • banks1850
    Options
    I ran today!! The last real time I ran was high school gym class where, thanks to strep throat and asthma, I collapsed into a heap on the floor.

A few weeks ago I did 4 minutes walking followed by 1 minute running, repeated sequence 4 times.

Today, I ran 3x 1 minute intervals outdoors, the last run up a super steep hill.

While the rest of you are running marathons, I'm just as excited that I actually RAN today at all!

SUPER YAY! :bigsmile:

That's awesome Lauren! Hey, not too long ago I could only run 10 minutes before collapsing in a heap! I mean last September, so as you can see, it doesn't take long once you start to get up a good pace! Keep at it girl!
  • FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    Don't have a lot of time to post comments but thought I would let you know that I just got back from a brisk hour walk. I was scared to run because I seem to have pulled something in my inner thigh and wanted to give it some time to heal before running again.