Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

♥ How do you take Compliments?

2»

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    i think it comes from our view of ourselves. my response is always i got 30 more to lise because thats my focus. honestly im not moved by compliments or the lack of but to me i need to lose 30 more lbs. however i think we all should accept these compliments we deserve them cause we worked hard to get here even if we have a long way left
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    ♥ WOW!! Thanx for all the Wonderful Suggestions ♥
    It's Awesome to know this site has such Inspiring people who are all on this same Journey to a healthier lifestyle..
    Feel Free to Add Me!! ♥
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    I am the same! My boyfriend is always telling me that i am amazing, gorgeous, slim and dont need to loose weight etc....but i either ignore him or shoot it back by disagreeing

I wish my husband said things like this!! He sure would "get" a thank you back ;)

tell him
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    With two sugars and cream.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    I am the same! My boyfriend is always telling me that i am amazing, gorgeous, slim and dont need to loose weight etc....but i either ignore him or shoot it back by disagreeing

I wish my husband said things like this!! He sure would "get" a thank you back ;)

tell him

Telling a man you want to hear those kinds of things doesn't always work!
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    i do this exactly...someone will comment on how small i am and i'll be like 'well i still have 15lbs to drop' or 'yeh, i wish' kind of thing...which seems to make people think i just want more compliments...but i genuinely don't know how to accept a compliment with just 'thankyou'
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I didn't know what to say when I got my first compliment,... now I say thank you, and thanks for noticing. That's what I'd want to hear back if I gave a similar compliment.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Enjoy those compliments while you can! Because as soon as you are smaller than some of those people, the compliments will stop :))
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    I have to admit, I have no trouble at all accepting compliments from people who tell me I'm looking much slimmer. Sure, I have a long ways to go, and I'm doing it for me and not other people. But the ego boost sure does help. Take those compliments and run with them! Acknowledge your hard work, give yourself a pat on the back, and enjoy!

I couldn't agree more...well said!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    I am the exact same!!!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    The only pics I've posted on FB since starting my journey has been from Warrior Dash that I did just a few weeks ago, and i haven't told any of my friends about me trying to lose weight, get in shape, etc... and when they commented on how good I looked I just said thanks and deflected to how fun the race was...
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    I think being able to accept compliments graciously is huge. When somebody compliments you, they are putting themselves out there, and for you to not accept that is to do both you and them a disservice. Whether or not it is uncomfortable for you, just say thank you! If they are gushing over you and keep saying things like how skinny you are, etc., you can always add something like, "I'm working on it!" so that you are still accepting the compliment, even if you don't feel/see yourself as skinny yet, without being arrogant about it or anything.

And for those of you who don't get a positive feeling out of a compliment, because you feel like they are implicitly stating how fat you were before... don't forget that more often than not, you WERE fat before! But that isn't what the person is saying. They see you doing something great, and they want you to know that they noticed and are impressed. Why make it negative and turn it around like that? If you are working to lose weight, you obviously have to admit that you were or even are overweight/obese/fat/whatever you want to call it. And you know what? That's a GOOD thing- because if you didn't realize it or admit it to yourself, you'd never do anything to change it and be healthier!