what are ya reading....

Options

Replies

• Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer:smile:

I read that one on the weekend! :happy: I have to go get Breaking Dawn now.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    A book club would be fun:bigsmile:
    That site was good, but if you don't want to swap and keep your books I get mine from zooba.com they are 9.95 a month free shipping and handling.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • oldredhorse
    Options
    Hi,
    If you liked The Kite Runner, you'll love a 1000 Splendid Suns by the same author. It also takes place in 70's Afghanistan during the invasion of the Taliban. It will break your heart.
    If you want something funny, some of the memoires that are out like David Sedaris' Engulfed in Flames is great and Chelsea Handler's Are There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea are very funny. Also, (forgive me I'm an English teacher who's been reading all summer) The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc is slightly trashy, romantic mush-gush to read on the beach.
    Happy reading!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    an easy mindless read "Piece of Work by Laura Zigman
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    FYI -- drafting up info on the book club. I'll be posting it today, possibly as late as tonight, but by tomorrow for sure!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I just started readin "Middlesex" by Jeffery Eugenides... so far its really good.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are Irish, try "Trinity" by Leon Uris.... great reading - coulda been a movie!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Looking for a new book to read.... I just finished reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini OMG it was so good definately on my top 5 list of all time... i think i cried through more than half the book:blushing:

jackie

I just watched that movie the other night----soo good
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I just went thru my Jane Austin phase, now reading some Steven King.

Just finished Duma Key and starting The Cell.

But I did pick up Emma by Jane Austin.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    I don't think I could stand to watch "The Kite Runner" in movie form with as much as I cried reading the book too!

I'm getting ready to start "Running with Scissors" by August Burroughs (maybe... sounds like the right name).

read that one Running with Scissors, good book easy read, you'll get through in a week - two tops!

If you did finish it , did you like it? Funny about the doctors special room huh? ewwy
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    I just went thru my Jane Austin phase, now reading some Steven King.

Just finished Duma Key and starting The Cell.

But I did pick up Emma by Jane Austin.

yeah, another king fan here! I haven't read those two yet but I own them and will get to them soon. Hopefully sooner than later.
  • Fitztay
    Fitztay Posts: 13
    Options
    A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It's about a little girl growing up in Brooklyn in the early 1900's. I love to read stories set in prior generations - it's amazing (and a good reminder) to see how far we've come as a society with everything from women's rights and racism to technology.
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Recently finished Roadshow by Neil Peart (drummer god from Rush), a great behind the scenes first person narrative of a touring rock band with a good dose of motorcycle adventure thrown in; perfect for me!

Slowly making progress is A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. I've always wanted to read it and take it up in spurts; about 2/3 of the way through now. Should finish it on vacation in October.

Next up is Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon. A first person narrative of his '73-77 RTW motorcycle tour, the first in a short series. Motorcycle travel is one of my passions - does it show?? :bigsmile:

Favorite mind candy: Snow crash by Neil Stephenson, fictional near future story that weaves societal mutation, cyber culture (think 2nd Life) and Summerian/Acadian mythology into a very reasonable possible future storyline. A great read, and I'm not a Sci-Fi book fan.

The Kite Runner is also in queue; heard too many great reviews about it. Cheers......Mike
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    Best book i've read this year was written by a friend of my sister's. It is called The Scrapbook (a novel of friendship and love) by Peggy Baker. It is a story about girlfriends and family and relationships. Loved it! It is a little hard to find b/c it was self-published but it can be ordered (signed copy) directly from the author or through amazon.

Just finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham. Grisham's first non-fiction was great. Pictures of the people involved are included which amps up the disturbing quotient for me.

Next up is Fast Food Nation (appropriate for an MFPer, no?)

Always read David Sedaris when I want a good laugh (someone mentioned Engulfed in Flames which I LOVED). Not so much with Augusten Burroughs (RUnning iwth Scissors) who is too out there for me to take seriously.

Also loved Glass Castle (someone mentioned). Another great memoir is Eat Love Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert ~ awesome, awesome read.

Thanks for posting this! I am always eager to add to my ever-growing books to read list!:flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Best book i've read this year was written by a friend of my sister's. It is called The Scrapbook (a novel of friendship and love) by Peggy Baker. It is a story about girlfriends and family and relationships. Loved it! It is a little hard to find b/c it was self-published but it can be ordered (signed copy) directly from the author or through amazon.

Just finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham. Grisham's first non-fiction was great. Pictures of the people involved are included which amps up the disturbing quotient for me.

Next up is Fast Food Nation (appropriate for an MFPer, no?)

Always read David Sedaris when I want a good laugh (someone mentioned Engulfed in Flames which I LOVED). Not so much with Augusten Burroughs (RUnning iwth Scissors) who is too out there for me to take seriously.

Also loved Glass Castle (someone mentioned). Another great memoir is Eat Love Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert ~ awesome, awesome read.

Thanks for posting this! I am always eager to add to my ever-growing books to read list!:flowerforyou:

Fast Food Nation is an eye opener! I also liked The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

I didn't like Eat Love Pray that much - I know it was on the best seller list, but it seemed more like a brag book than a true-life memoir *shrug*
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    MollyK,

Yes! The Omnivore's Dilemma is absolutely excellent! That book is the first that really got me thinking about the commitment to whole foods ~ single ingredients; avoiding processed stuff in bags and boxes. I read it a while ago and then found that Pollan's message just stuck with me. I also like In Defense of Food. His in-depth research and his ability to communicate clearly about the food industry is really impressive.

Your point is well taken re: Eat Pray Love. It was a little "braggy" but I just loved her descriptions of Italian food and that kind of new-age "opening up" to experiences as they happen. There are some passages that are just beautifully written. I was just sad when the book ended b/c, that, for me, is the mark of a memorable book.

So fun to have people who read on this site. Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by people who say they never read so it's great to "know" people who do!
  • madmisskelly
    Options
    On the road by Jack Kerouack
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just finished Safe Harbour by Danielle Steel....love her books
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    MollyK,

Yes! The Omnivore's Dilemma is absolutely excellent! That book is the first that really got me thinking about the commitment to whole foods ~ single ingredients; avoiding processed stuff in bags and boxes. I read it a while ago and then found that Pollan's message just stuck with me. I also like In Defense of Food. His in-depth research and his ability to communicate clearly about the food industry is really impressive.

Your point is well taken re: Eat Pray Love. It was a little "braggy" but I just loved her descriptions of Italian food and that kind of new-age "opening up" to experiences as they happen. There are some passages that are just beautifully written. I was just sad when the book ended b/c, that, for me, is the mark of a memorable book.

So fun to have people who read on this site. Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by people who say they never read so it's great to "know" people who do!

I hear you on the lack of (physically present) avid readers - basically my mom, sister and I are the only hard-core readers in our circle of friends/family. I will check out In Defense of Food. Have you read "Three Cups of Tea"? It's on my to-read list, and is also a memior.

And, like you, I've really become aware of the benefits of whole foods - it's really changed everything about the way I eat and cook for the family. The other day I berated DH for buying soda - "LOOK! See this has HFCS. Pure poision, I tell you, poision!" I'm sure DH thought I was mad. :laugh:
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    I just finished Can You Keep a Secret and Remember Me?, both by Sophie Kinsella. They are both laugh out loud light reads. Before that, I read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. Great!