Makeup = false advertising??

Options
2»

Replies

• TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't normally wear any make up but I do like it and the concept if it??If that makes sense.

Okay to stirrrrrrr up the pot here are my thoughts:
    I think it isn't false advertising but rather false expectations of perfection. Media - I know going there - puts a lot of pressure on people with all the subliminal messaging and advertising. Take a look at some of the comments on this forum - if I only had 5 less pounds -- if I only this or if only that... you know what - you are who you are and if you are a beautiful person, you are a beautiful person. We, as a society, need to accept people for the bodies God gave them and be thankful we're not all cookie-cutter shapes. I am not advocating do what you like but if you are being healthy and making good nutritional steps in your diet - so what if you never get to that paper thin shape. Grass is always greener... And what really irks me:grumble: I fall for it too.. I play those games with my own self-esteem. Sad.:cry: So sad...

Personally I like variety and the world would be a boring place if we didn't have differences.

Okay stepping off soap box... :ohwell:
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Soooo..listening to my morning radio show and a lady claims she's been married for 20 years & her husband has NEVER seen her w/out her makeup on...:noway: :noway: :noway:

She always wakes up super-duper early & is in full warpaint when he wakes up. She won't go to bed until all the lights are off. Can you imagine???

I'm usually makeup free on the weekends, and if I come in to work w/out it, my co-werks know I'm in one of my don't-give-a-d@mn moods & to stay away. :devil: :devil:

actually i know someone like that. her husband her he have been married for almost a decade.

Holy cow!! Why does she do it???

It think just for her self-esteem. Sorry they've been married for more than 15 years.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    This thread left me pondering:

Have these ladies never had babies? (I'm referring to the hospital stay part of that.)
    Have they never had surgeries?
    Have they never had the flu or any other illness that left them with no energy to move from the bed?
    Have they never enjoyed being at a pool or water park for an entire day, actually getting their faces wet?

I personally wear very light powder with lots of eye makeup M-F, but give it a rest on the weekends, except for Sunday church. I try to keep my face clean from makeup on the weekends because I feel guilty subjecting my face to all the torture of that face paint!

While it's true I feel prettiest in my makeup (thanks society and media!) and wouldn't give up my mascara for the world, I also realize it's a horrible break down in my self image.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    well I think if it makes YOU feel pretty....go for it...:wink: .......but we shouldn't feel we have to wear it for our own self worth:noway:

I too have nothing against it, I'm just not into it....I was in my teens which is funny I loved eye liners and eye shadows etc......anything to look older then lol....NOW...ha I'm lucky if I can put my moisturizer on....well that's a lie I ALWAYS put my moisturizer on LOL

I know I probably look better w/ make up...complexion looks more toned, eyes look more defined etc...but I am what I am....when I go to work I sometimes wear a little cover up if I had a late night w/ my son maybe some mascara, I do like my lipstick because it makes my lips feel good LOL...but that's it....If I don't' have time I don't freak out about it....

AND I found an advantage of wearing less is best especially as you get older...so I figure if that works then wearing none will be double advantageous.......:bigsmile: ....not really working out but ya know I can try! lol

I think beautiful on the inside is much more attractive....ever talk to a horrible beautiful person...they sort of lose their umph huh? My mom always says Pretty is as pretty does.....so true!!!

so whateva media....We're real perfection...as is!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
    hugs,
    Ali
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I barely ever wear makeup, except for special occasions, and sometimes not even then! Plus I don't really know how to put in on right anyway lol!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    This thread left me pondering:

Have these ladies never had babies? (I'm referring to the hospital stay part of that.)
    Have they never had surgeries?
    Have they never had the flu or any other illness that left them with no energy to move from the bed?
    Have they never enjoyed being at a pool or water park for an entire day, actually getting their faces wet?

I personally wear very light powder with lots of eye makeup M-F, but give it a rest on the weekends, except for Sunday church. I try to keep my face clean from makeup on the weekends because I feel guilty subjecting my face to all the torture of that face paint!

While it's true I feel prettiest in my makeup (thanks society and media!) and wouldn't give up my mascara for the world, I also realize it's a horrible break down in my self image.

Thats a good point Lauryn. I didn't even think of that. Think of all the fun you'd miss out on if you just HAD to have your makeup on at all times. :noway: I'm just wayyyy to into fun, I guess!! I do wear make up in the cooler seasons or for special occassions - but just not a big deal to me. If you don't like what you see, don't look!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I just wear powder, eye liner and mascara. I don't wear lipstick as it dries up my lips. So, I wear Vaseline. Really sexy, I know.

I also think that you should do what makes you feel good but sleeping with a full face a makeup! Imagine how dirty her sheets must be.lol
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I am not so sure it is false advertising so much as just kind of sad. I mean, makeup..when worn a certain way is supposed to enhance the features we have. Yes, a lot of people wear a ton of it to the point you can't tell what part of their skin is actually THEM.

I wear mascara and undereye concealer pretty much on a daily basis....but that's it. Maybe some lip gloss. I have lashes but they are lighter than my hair so they kind of disappear making me look tired! Hehe And dark circles are my enemy!!! :grumble: :grumble: But I don't like to wear a lot of it. I have freckles that don't get covered. Oh well! Whatever!!!

BUT, I wash my face every evening.....and my hubby see's me without it and he see's me first thing in the morning when my hair is sticking up and I have crusties in the corners of my eyes, and all he'll ever do is laugh sometimes at my hair because it will be in a big poof sometimes...LOL! I mean, what does it matter?

I guess it just all comes down to how comfortable you are in your own skin....literally!
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Makeup shmakeup!

I wear makeup once a month.. if that!
    The reason being is I don't like the feeling of it. I'm always sneezing(allergies) so I rub my eyes alot and there goes the makeup. I've been wanting to get Bare Minerals makeup b/c it seems easy to use and light... I am getting older and my complexion isn't the same.

To each their own I say!

Well a hot chica like yourself can get away with it... Me however :grumble:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Let me just dive right into how shallow I am. I love to wear make-up but don't give 2 $hips if I don't on a daily basis. However if I'm going out on the town I get all dressed up, and you know I'm shoving these DD's into a push up otherwise they might trip someone. I'll fake it up however and whenever I want! :smokin:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I just wear powder, eye liner and mascara. I don't wear lipstick as it dries up my lips. So, I wear Vaseline. Really sexy, I know.

I also think that you should do what makes you feel good but sleeping with a full face a makeup! Imagine how dirty her sheets must be.lol

HAHA! Only you, Mir! :laugh:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am not so sure it is false advertising so much as just kind of sad. I mean, makeup..when worn a certain way is supposed to enhance the features we have. Yes, a lot of people wear a ton of it to the point you can't tell what part of their skin is actually THEM.

I wear mascara and undereye concealer pretty much on a daily basis....but that's it. Maybe some lip gloss. I have lashes but they are lighter than my hair so they kind of disappear making me look tired! Hehe And dark circles are my enemy!!! :grumble: :grumble: But I don't like to wear a lot of it. I have freckles that don't get covered. Oh well! Whatever!!!

BUT, I wash my face every evening.....and my hubby see's me without it and he see's me first thing in the morning when my hair is sticking up and I have crusties in the corners of my eyes, and all he'll ever do is laugh sometimes at my hair because it will be in a big poof sometimes...LOL! I mean, what does it matter?

I guess it just all comes down to how comfortable you are in your own skin....literally!
    LOL!
    Nice visual... looks like me!
    But I sleep on my right side the entire night.. I never move! So, the hair on my rught side is smooshed and the left side is well.... not. I have THICK curly hair so it's out there in the A.M:noway:

I hear you about the dark circles. Cannot stand them!!!:angry:
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I hate wearing makeup and I'm sure not going to wake up extra early to put it on before hubby gets up!! He hates when i wear make up anyway, he says i just waste my time doing all that b/c he loves the way i look without it.... :love:

Anyway, I would be scared to see what that lady looks like underneath all that warpaint if she is that obsessed about putting it on!! I have seen people without their "warpaint" that i don't recognize b/c they look so different, that is scary to me!! LOL
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Soooo..listening to my morning radio show and a lady claims she's been married for 20 years & her husband has NEVER seen her w/out her makeup on...:noway: :noway: :noway:

She always wakes up super-duper early & is in full warpaint when he wakes up. She won't go to bed until all the lights are off. Can you imagine???

I'm usually makeup free on the weekends, and if I come in to work w/out it, my co-werks know I'm in one of my don't-give-a-d@mn moods & to stay away. :devil: :devil:

actually i know someone like that. her husband her he have been married for almost a decade.

Forget why...HOW? Who friggin cares? How low does your self esteem have to be???
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Let me just dive right into how shallow I am. I love to wear make-up but don't give 2 $hips if I don't on a daily basis. However if I'm going out on the town I get all dressed up, and you know I'm shoving these DD's into a push up otherwise they might trip someone. I'll fake it up however and whenever I want! :smokin:

Haha, my thoughts exactly! A lady after my own heart!! :laugh:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    And did anyone else get a mental image of this lady wearing the same style of make up for 20 years??

I'm just thinking blue eye shadow from the eighties! The husband is probably secretly hoping she'll get over the phase. :laugh:
  • TNTPete
    Options
    I get the same visual.. MiMi from the Drew Carey Show...

But really - sad. and I Mirelle I did visualize a messy bed sheet so I am with ya on that one.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Whoever said blue eyeshadow looked good...was not your friend.

mimi.jpg
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Oh yes, Princess - perfect!!

Now that's putting your face on!
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Forget why...HOW? Who friggin cares? How low does your self esteem have to be???

The women i know has been wearing makeup ever since she was in her teens, now she's over 30 and it's a natural thing for her, in fact, it's what makes who she is. I once asked her if she'd go a day without makeup and she told me "no," its a must for her. I guess some women been putting makeup on everyday and it plays a big part of their life. She told me that if she doesn't put makeup on, she felt "weird". I don't think it has to do with self-esteem, for some women it's an ADDICTION. For me, I don't have time, even a few spare minutes to put makeup on in the morning. And besides I workout during my lunch hour break, so I can't afford to put makeup on making me look dull and pale all the time.:frown: