Am i being too strict on myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is what I do because I am not willing to never have a cheeseburger again. If your calories allow it and you really want it then go ahead. As long as you aren't over indulging and eating it all the time you will be fine. What is going to happen when you get to your goal and someone sets a pork sandwich in front of you. You met your goal you should be fine, right? You deprived yourself of that for so long, you deserve it. But you have not learned moderation so most likely you will gain back your weight faster than you lost it. I've lost 56 pounds so far with moderation and not deprivation. Go ahead and have 1 sandwich, really listen to yourself and eat it slowly. Don't eat too much. And you will find out that the healthier foods are more filling and you will prefer them over the junk. A couple times a month, as long as your calories allow it, isn't going to hurt.
    The question to ask yourself is : is this something I'm willing to deny myself for the rest of my life?

Learning moderation in our favorite foods is probably one of the hardest - but most valuable - of lessons. That's what I'd do anyway.
  • adriannenan
    adriannenan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The question to ask yourself is : is this something I'm willing to deny myself for the rest of my life?

Learning moderation in our favorite foods is probably one of the hardest - but most valuable - of lessons. That's what I'd do anyway.

Completely agree. The biggest problems most of us have is the inability to eat within our guidelines. We take portions way to far and then feel ridiculously guilty about it later. I say if you have the calories, go ahead, but make sure you don't go overboard.

On the other hand if we're unable to control ourselves, then I guess abstaining from the "junk food" all together is the better idea.
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    If I really want something, I usually have it, but in moderation. I've learned thru dieting for many many years, up and down on the scale, that if I deprive myself, I just feel sorry for myself, and it makes things worse in the long run.

Saying the purpose of food is only to give our bodies energy is like saying sex is only for reproduction.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you obviously have will power, and the mindset to meet your goals. You will get there! :bigsmile:
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ooh! That's rough! My dad was the kind of guy that would go out and buy junk practically the instant my mom ever uttered a syllable of the word "diet." He continued that (though always subconsciously) throughout my formative years. It took a long time to break that habit for myself; trying to eat better, but having something bad in the house anyway. If it's not there, at least for the most difficult part (the first few weeks), then it won't tempt you. I totally understand!
    Even if your calories would have allowed it, it sounds like you would have beaten yourself up over having put such bad food into your body. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, it seems. But, at least not eating it will make you stronger in many ways! Being strict is important when you're trying to get you body and mind on track to a better, healthier lifestyle. That is, being strict in the sense of eating well and exercising. However, if you are throwing yourself below the "1200 or less calories" bus, then I'd say you're being too strict. If you really want that sandwich the next day, google a healthier version that you can make yourself. Same with the fries, get a medium potato, cut it up, lightly season it with a little olive oil and herbs and bake that sucker for a healthier version of french fries. You don't have to completely ignore your cravings, just try looking for a better alternative when you can't seem to shake 'em!

Good luck, chica! And tell your husband that he's sleeping on the couch the next time he brings food into the house that knows you want, but can't have! :P

LMAO it was horrible! I was giving him the look and he knew i was upset. This isn't the 1st time for him doing things like this.. he eats doritos in front of me, he bought me a salad and him and my kids a large cheese pizza, hotdogs.. you name it! He actually congratulated me when i turned it down though when i told him the reasons why... i think even those food though i could have some sort of control on if i really wanted to... It's chocolate that is bad news for me i have NO CONTROL yet over that.... I was the type that could polish off a whole bag of peanut butter eggs or the mini hersheys chocolate bars or a whole bag of the lindt chocolates... so i don't think i have enough self discipline to go and try those things yet... i won't fail i don't plan on it. Great idea now i want to find alternatives now LOL
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say moderation is the key. I have lost 15lbs in 2 months and I have allowed myself to eat all my favorites. The food scale is my friend, as is the walk around the block! I am much more thoughtful about what I eat and I plan for my splurges. I am developing better eating habits, not going on a diet. However, at the end of the day, you have to do what works best for YOU. I think you are being to strict and fear you will burn out, but if you need to be stronger than your cravings, then rock on!
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Even if i wanted a bite i knew it was a bad idea esp being so late at night and no time to get in a work out afterwards. But my calories were on at 1279 yesterday so like i said i probably could have at least had a french fry but i didn't. I am allowed 2210 calories/day. It was very hard esp sitting there watching him eat it!

You absolutely made the right choice, be proud of yourself!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I try to find other healthier alternatives to foods I "loved" before so that I don't feel deprived. I have even found new cravings that are healthy! For example, I got turkey at the BBQ place instead of brisket and it was really yummy. I have discovered the dark chocolate cocoa roasted almonds and they are perfect for when I crave something sweet.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't punish yourself for being human. Food is tasty & enjoyable. And we all seem to be out of balance, using it for pleasure and reward and comfort as well as for enjoyment and energy.

I can't say "think about something that's not food." I think you did a very hard thing in pushing away the temptation. And then do something else. Don't say you're bad for wanting the food, because you're not.

In my opinion, it would be far worse to punish yourself because what do you have to make yourself feel better? Food? That's just a bad cycle.

Well, I hope this helps. If it doesn't, then that's OK. I'm just trying to be supportive of someone's who's done some very hard work and seems to be thinking that it hasn't been hard enough.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I love my carbs too. For dinner I just made:
    Ronzoni - Garden Delight Enriched Tomato, Carrot & Spinach Pasta Blend, 2 oz 190 calories (one full serving of veggies)
    Classico - Vodka Sauce, 1/2 cup 100 calories
    and it totally cured my carbo fix and the pasta tasted good too. I also added vegie meatballs and a green salad for a dinner that totalled about 400 calories. Like everyone else says, moderation, moderation, moderation. 3/4 a cup of pasta doesn't sound like a lot but it was. Good Luck!
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If you weren't going to sleep at least 3 hrs after it wouldve been ok. I try eat any bad stuff on special occassions and work it off at the gym. Its hard to resist temptation but humans are creatures of habit and you can break that habit and create new ones. Best thing for me I've found isn't completely senying myself but trying to find other craveable foods that are good for me. A fudgecicle instead of gelato, or hummus and special k crackers instead of chips and dip or anything equally as bad...luna bars and luna minis, healthy chouce meals...or finding an alternate way of making the meals from resyrants and such myself instead so I know just how much sodium I'm ingesting and don't feel horrible about it later. You're noyt being to strict on yourself. Somedaysa re harder than others. But we can do it :-). There's a hungry girl book called 300 under 300calories that's good and a foodnetwork book tyhat just came out thatshows the calorie count. And herds of books that give you a tasty healthier version u can make of all the foods you love :-)
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I allow myself small portions of things I like. I can not ask from myself to exercise so much more than before, eat less than before, eat healthier than before, and on top of that, not eat ANYTHING I truly enjoy?? Forget it. I have my caloric space for cookies and damn it I'm going to use it. This keeps me focused on my goals instead of dreaming about cookies...
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

So agree with this. Eating something that's not really good for you but you really enjoy once in a while isn't the end of the world. I'm not willing to go without pizza or sausages or cake for the rest of my life so I will eat them in moderation. If I'd really wanted something that much and had the calories to spare I'd have eaten it and not felt guilty. I know that if I deny myself something I really want I'm only going to keep on and on wanting it and when I eventually give in I won't just stop at a small portion and will probably eat more junk to go with it. If I eat it when I first start wanting it though I can stick to a small portion no problem.
  • MsRubio
    MsRubio Posts: 1
    Options
    I also feel the same way, but I'm starting to shed the pounds so it's worth it. You would of been mad at yourself later and probably of wanted more, and that's where it gets ya. Just remember healthy eating vs the word dieting, because it's a lifestyle change. And soon you can have what you want if you choose to eat then, you probaly will get turned of f with the caloric intake anyway.
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    Options
    They just don't get it! He should know that that's teaching his kids to do the same when they grow up. I should know, I'm living proof of that mess! :P
    I'm the same way with sweets, too! I once had a craving for sour gummi worms that was so bad! I went to the store at 6 in the evening, bought a pound of them (and some other candies, including chocolate)! When I got home, I ate that entire pound of worms! I was so ill afterwards, but I didn't seem to care because I'd gotten my fix. Luckily, I've since learned my lesson. But, really, for those of us that have a hard time turning things down when they're right in front of us? Our loved ones should know better. Hang in there, girl! You can do it! You've got the right attitude and outlook.
  • thedons
    thedons Posts: 41
    Options
    wow you have incredible will power. you should be proud. and good for you for telling your husband not to bring tempting foods into the house. (sorry everyone but i agree here) i find thats its just easier for me to say no than to take a bite of something knowing the temptation for another bite will be too great. my husband is bad for doing stuff like that & it drives me nuts because i feel he obviously doesnt support how important this is to me. cravings are extremely difficult to control without having them waved under your nose. it was hard for me to not give in but i just stuck to my guns, left the room or did whatever it would take to get away from the temptation. in time the cravings didnt bother me as much. it took alot of work & convincing myself but it is well worth the effort. my husband is bad for chips while watcing tv. he will almost insist that i have some & egg me on. just one, just one. but i cant just have one. if i did, then we'd be fighting over the bag. i know that, so i just dont bother having that one. it was really hard to do but now he doesnt even bother asking me.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say moderation is the key. I have lost 15lbs in 2 months and I have allowed myself to eat all my favorites. The food scale is my friend, as is the walk around the block! I am much more thoughtful about what I eat and I plan for my splurges. I am developing better eating habits, not going on a diet. However, at the end of the day, you have to do what works best for YOU. I think you are being to strict and fear you will burn out, but if you need to be stronger than your cravings, then rock on!

I agree -- moderation is the key for long-term lifestyle changes.

MFP has helped me understand that I have a "budget" and what things "cost".

Most days, I am able to eat the "good" things and not even miss my indulgences.
    Some days, I can work with a substitute, and I am just as satisfied (the "knockoff")
    Occasionally, I just want the real thing, which I save for and then enjoy it. (I am having cake on Sunday! )

You should be proud of yourself for having the will power to say "no", and good for you for being concerned that you are depriving yourself too much. Remember that you are in this for the long haul, and sometimes you can indulge, and then get right back to eating the good stuff.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I agree ... I didnt put on all of this weight in a day and I wont lose it in a day either .... I eat within my goals, I exercise, and rarely ever go over on anything except that darn sodium number ... slow and steady wins the race I like the consistency that I have gained with a pound or two a week coming off