Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Replies

• NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Try this one:
    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Remember for a hill the energy you spend getting to the top, is then returned free of charge* on the way down.

*Simplistic physics, it doesn't cover for friction, air resistance, heat losses etc.

So if your average gradient is 0% (which on a circular route it should be) then you need to calculate as if the hill wasn't there. However if you're going up the Huez and getting a lift down or not counting your descent as riding time then you would be wanting to calculate the gradient.

Similar for winds, if your route is circular it should spend as much time pushing against you as it does pushing you.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Is there any way to calcuate the calories burned given the length of time and speed ridden but on roads with hills?

Cyclemeter does this for you too... I'm not sure how accurate the measurement is, but I use it as my 'yard stick.'
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 421 Member
    Thank you very much!!!
  • cloggsy71
    This mornings ride in to work:

Distance: 12.87 miles
    Average: 18.64 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 27.01 miles/h
    Ahead of Best Ride: 0:40
    Ascent: 145 feet
    Calories: 911

Mile 01 - Average 16.84 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 21.36 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 17.07 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 21.51 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 17.62 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 17.42 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 17.82 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 17.97 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 22.90 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 16.10 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 20.95 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 19.28 miles/h

And ride home again...

Distance: 12.85 miles
    Average: 15.96 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 23.57 miles/h
    Behind Median Ride: 1:17
    Ascent: 200 feet
    Calories: 915

Mile 01 - Average 16.88 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 19.03 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 15.28 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 19.08 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 15.75 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 15.98 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 15.82 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 16.98 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 17.10 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 15.14 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 17.80 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 12.77 miles/h

A monster head-wind on the way home killed my speed; I was extremely tired when I got home!

Rest day tomorrow (i.e. I going in the car tomorrow :laugh:)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Whew, I did it! Rode to work today. 21.23 miles. Took 1:42. The majority was on a major bike trail so pretty smooth sailing. I'm not completely thrilled about the ride back home tonight, but I will survive :)

Thanks for getting me pumped!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    If you want 'bomb proof' tyres, you need Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. They are heavier than 'normal' tyres, but they are pretty 'puncture proof' if there is such a thing... See here: http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1071-schwalbe-tires-marathon-plus.html

Seeing as how I am carrying around 2 less pounds of bodyweight each week I might just be able to swing the extra weight of these tires. It looks like they have the 26 x 1.5 I need for my rear wheel, but they don't seem to have a 20 x 1.5 for my front wheel. This may be a silly question, but does a 20 x 1.375 wheel fit on the same size rim?

Can't help with your question I'm afraid but have done some research on the marathon tyres and there is a whole range of them including a lighter weight version called the marathon racer (they do them wide enough for hybrids/tourers too), reviews for them are great, not quite so bombproof but said to be much lighter than the marathon plus and the none of the reviewers had got punctures. I also have my eye on the marathon supreme more expensive but grippier. You can see the full range here http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte/tour_city/produkt/index.php5?flash=1&ID_Einsatzbereich=9&showAllProducts=true&ID_Land=38&ID_Sprache=2&tn_mainPoint=Produkte&tn_subPoint=Tour/City
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Whew, I did it! Rode to work today. 21.23 miles. Took 1:42. The majority was on a major bike trail so pretty smooth sailing. I'm not completely thrilled about the ride back home tonight, but I will survive :)

Hell yeah!!! Way to go!!!! 26 miles is the longest I've ever ridden, so you have all my respect doing two 20 mile rides in one day. Wow.
  • rthompson81
    Also, I thought yall might enjoy this:

A friend of mine who is also into biking made some t-shirts that say "Pedalphiles" on them. Note the "L". Although it's not exactly the type of shirt I can wear anywhere, I just had to buy one from her. I sported it on my night ride last Friday. Next time I'm going to get a little braver and wear it on a day ride! :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member

That's awesome. I have a 40 mile commute, one way. If am to commute by bike, I will be at least driving part of the way. But the fun part is looking up different routes and different lengths. Not sure I'd make 21 miles one way a daily or even a weekly thing. But I'm open to trying it once or twice.

My main fear with that is I couldn't bring enough food for lunch.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member

A friend of mine who is also into biking made some t-shirts that say "Pedalphiles" on them. Note the "L". Although it's not exactly the type of shirt I can wear anywhere, I just had to buy one from her. I sported it on my night ride last Friday. Next time I'm going to get a little braver and wear it on a day ride! :)

I coach a girls t-ball team in a small town. Not getting near that shirt. Maybe another time in my life.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I love to cycle! I have a Kona...I haven't gotten it out this year yet because I just had minor surgery, but two more weeks and I'll be all over the ravines! I'm a little scared though, last year my butt hurt so bad I could only ride once a week until I got use to it lol
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Just want to say: I'm so excited for the Amgen Tour of California!! I'm taking my kids out of school on Monday and going to the finish in Sac. My oldest just brought home a permission slip from school today so the kids can all go out and watch them fly by on Tuesday. The race goes right in front of their school. So lucky for him! Of course I'll be out there too on Tuesday watching as well. We are so lucky to see 2 days of it.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member

Awesome! That's quite the ride before work.
  • rthompson81
    QUOTE:

I coach a girls t-ball team in a small town. Not getting near that shirt. Maybe another time in my life.

Ha. Smart man. :)
  • yvonnej1
    Just want to say: I'm so excited for the Amgen Tour of California!! I'm taking my kids out of school on Monday and going to the finish in Sac. My oldest just brought home a permission slip from school today so the kids can all go out and watch them fly by on Tuesday. The race goes right in front of their school. So lucky for him! Of course I'll be out there too on Tuesday watching as well. We are so lucky to see 2 days of it.

We've recently found out that the route for the road races in the 2012 London Olympics is passing in a loop a mile or so around our house. Am really hoping we'll be able to watch some of it. Hope you and son get a good view.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    After having long break from biking, from having my kids.
    Bought new one end of april, covered 11miles in 2 days which got to say felt great for me.
    Only get go out on weekends, last was very bad weather, pouring rain.
    Hoping stop nice for tomorrow hoping to get 10miles done
  • cloggsy71
    My bike is in for its initial service (6 weeks) today & I'm missing it already...

Hopefully get it back tomorrow afternoon.
  • I have just started cycling after many years of not getting on anything other than a recumbent bike in the gym. I love it!! I bought a Trek 7.3 WDX fitness bike, and it is great. I can only go out on weekends so far but once the weather gets really nice around here I hope to do some good rides early in the morning before work!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I braved the cold yesterday for my saturday ride. 45 degrees. I froze my *kitten* off but it is still better than riding when it's 90 out. I just had to go out and bust that 200 mile mark. :happy:
  • yvonnej1
    Had a great ride today, fitted my new marathon supreme tyres to my Giant hybrid bike earlier so had to give them good test. I think they are fractionally heavier than the tyres I had on before so I notice a slight difference when starting but after that they are just great, very smooth and faster on road and they coped fine on dirt and gravel tracks and survived running over some broken glass. I even cycled across a grassy (and bumpy) meadow, now that was an interesting experience on 80psi tyres but hey both me and the bike lived to tell the tale :happy: If only I could afford (and had space for) a road bike and an off road bike.