Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options
janesmith1
janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
Hoping there's more bike fans out there. I love riding my bike though I don't do it daily. Some people do. This thread is for those who love to ride their bikes!

Replies

• ShyBreasts
    Options
    I used to love going on bike rides and I just started again yesterday. I go round my block because even though it is only 3 miles it has some tough hills which when done in a high gear it really works your leg muscles, I sometimes have to stop because they hurt so much. I feel great after though.

Nice to meet someone else who loves it! :-)

xxx
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Oh yeah. I'm obsessed with it. What kind of bike do you ride? I have a Marin Stinson.
  • ShyBreasts
    Options
    Oooo erm, I'm not sure, I'm not so clever when it comes to the technicals as I have had this bike for years, I was thinking last night maybe I should get another one which is better for me but I wouldn't know where to start :S

Feel free to add me as a friend on here if you like :-)

xxx
  • TeaRex268
    TeaRex268 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge cycle fan I have a Ridley Triton which is in hibernation after I took a fall down a flight of stair 4 months ago. I'm hoping to be well enough soon to get back on it. OH has a Bianchi ... its an amazing bike!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I bought a new bike in December to cycle to work and back, about 14 miles each way.

Tuesday is the first official outing, I'll know if I love it by tommorow night :o)
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm a huge cycling fan! I cycle practically every day, for going to and from the gym, the railway station, shopping and try to do some longer pleasure rides too. I'm in the UK, live half the time in Cornwall and half in the Midlands and have a mountain bike at both homes. I'm blessed in both places by well planned and signposted cycle routes so no excuses!
  • janesmith1
    Options
    @jogging - good luck! 14 miles each way! Wow!

@tweety - old bikes are supposedly the best made! Old bikes were made in America, UK, etc unlike today - everything is made in Taiwan I think!!

@keynsian - that sounds great!

Everyone should check out this video at Treehugger regarding Bogota, Colombia, which is now a much more bike friendly place to be. The former mayor of Bogota is a true visionary in my opinion. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/08/bogota_shows_ho.php

(note: you don't have to be a real Treehugger to enjoy the vid - just a bike enthusiast!)
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just about to dig out my bike from the shed. I haven't used it for 10 years. May need some maintenance, or maybe I need a new one :wink:
  • janesmith1
    Options
    @wenders - definitely take it (heh or RIDE IT) to your nearest bike shop and have them get a *tune up* on it. It should work even better after that!
  • AbysmalFitness
    AbysmalFitness Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I aim to cycle at least 10 miles a day 5 days a week and i gotta say, it was tough initially but the the results and the feeling is awesome and i love my hybrid, she;s a beauty!
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Awesome, I have a hybrid too! What kind do you have? 10 miles a day! Wow!
  • janesmith1
    Options
    I rode 10.3 miles yesterday and finally broke my plateau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 6Alsmom
    6Alsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    I started riding again a couple of months ago and love it. I used to think I would never be able to cycle up hills or go for miles but I've now done both. Did 15 miles on Saturday and felt great!!! The only bad part is my hands go to sleep a little.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    With a bike you can go anywhere. So liberating!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ooooh! I was starting to wonder if I was the only cycling fan on here. :love: I started cycling around 2 months ago because I LOATHE running (and the shin splints that come with it) and I need a form of cardio I LIKE to do, or I just won't do it. Plus, my hubby is a serious cyclist and has lost 70 pounds by getting on his bike -- he's been a *huge* inspiration. So, I thought I'd give it a shot. It was rough at first, b/c I was very out of shape and got winded pretty easily. Plus, I had an evil mountain bike that kept trying to kill me (i.e. not shifting, gears getting stuck). . . but regardless, I found that I LOVE being outside vs. being in a gym and it's a form of cardio I can do.

Even though I'm just getting started, I'm super excited to get out and ride. The longest distance I've gone (on the gawd awful mountain bike, nonetheless) is 18 miles. That might not sound like a lot to some people, but for me, it was a huge accomplishment. I had pushed myself and got farther than I had so far. :smile:

What's I'm REALLY excited about, is that yesterday was my b-day and (b/c he's the best hubby in the world) my hubby got me my first "official" road bike. I am sooooo pumped to ride it, it's ridiculous. I got a Marin Ravenna. I took it out for a spin yesterday and the difference between it and my old crappy bike is phenomenal! I'm going back out this evening and I'm shooting for 20 miles. :happy:
  • janesmith1
    Options
    OMG, don't you love Marin bikes? Mine is a Marin Stinson - with the guy bar on it, and I LOVE LOVE IT!! Gonna go look up Marin Ravenna...
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Love cycling. I live in new England and we had a rough winter. Feels great to get back outside and riding.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My poor bike has been collecting dust for the last ten years. :-( Last year I took it in to the bike shop for a tune-up, determined to get riding again! Didn't happen, so now this year it has to! I joke that my bike cost more than my horse. A shame that it's been abandoned like that. It's a mountain bike, though I do ride it on the road because well, can't always get to the trails and I've lost all my mountain biking buddies!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump
  • tristahenry
    tristahenry Posts: 175
    Options
    A question for you avid bicycle fans... I'm a runner with a stress fracture in my foot. The only thing I'm allowed to do is biking but I've never done it for exercise, only casual entertainment. Any tips? Do I just get on the bike and go or what?