Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    A question for you avid bicycle fans... I'm a runner with a stress fracture in my foot. The only thing I'm allowed to do is biking but I've never done it for exercise, only casual entertainment. Any tips? Do I just get on the bike and go or what?

Well you could, you may want to wear one of those tight stretchy brace things around your foot for protection. If your town or somewhere near you has a bike rental, try to rent one first, just to see if you like riding a bike. OTOH you can go to a bike shop and "try out" a bike you like. There's a whole line now of Comfort Bikes, like the Trek Navigator, for instance, or a cross hybrid like my Marin Stinson...
  • janesmith1
    Options
    If anyone is interested in getting a ticker with a bicyclist on it, they have them at Lily Slim. They have both male and female cyclists there & you can put it into your sig like I have.

http://lilyslim.com/
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I ride when the weather warms up. I'm a total wimp when it comes to riding in the winter. I'm doing a lot of running right now training for a race, but when that's over...the bike is coming out! I have a full on road bike...Specialized Roubaix. When I go out for rides, it's usually no less than 20 miles. I've done a few metric centuries, no 100 milers yet...I will someday, it's on my bucket list.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Yeah sure... there have been times when I use my bike more than the car
    not so much lately but will definitely get on it more as the weather warms up

smartPhone users might like to check out RunKeeper Pro- same free app for runners works great for cycling too
    will automatically map your route, calories, distance, pace, speed, inclines etc...

http://runkeeper.com
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    My husband and I are avid cyclists. We do a ride here in Iowa every summer called RAGBRAI.....it's a blast! I have an older Giant OCR3 (my starter road bike), and my primary bike is a Specialized Dolce Elite....I love it! We try to get out a couple of times a week on training rides, and if the weather ever turns warm again, would like to get out again soon! Nice to meet you all :)
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well I use my bike strictly for transportation purposes though I admit that boredom causes about 30% of my transport here in Oakland. I just moved here a little under 2 years ago and I still love being able to get a random hair and say "Let me walk/bike to the store/library/gameshop. My co-worker was fixing my recently donated to me bike. It's nothing fancy just your average walmart bike.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I recently tweaked my ankle, so I've been doing more and more biking to substitute for running for the time being. It's great fun, especially as the weather is starting to get more spring-like. I'm entertaining the thought of riding to work at least once this summer. It would be a 21 mile ride.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I have a Burley Limbo recumbent that I now use to commute to work. The ride is 10 miles each way. Going to work is into the prevailing winds but going home I have the wind at my back and is a great way to unwind.

I average 1 complement received on my bike every two miles. :smile:
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Oooh, me too!

I got a Specialized Allez for Christmas and I am obsessed. Plus, it's so much more fun than running. I actually enjoy getting a workout now!

This past Saturday I rode my longest ride yet - 26 miles of hills. It was definitely a challenge, but I'm looking towards even longer and more challenging rides.... maybe even a mini-triathlon in the future??
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Im looking into starting ..Is this a good workout one thing that always scared me about biking is my thighs will they get bigger as this is my problem area...i live out the country and no one bikes here so, i would be different but im looking for something new, it would be all back roads up and down hills... (a good workout??)

Any advice ??
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Im looking into starting ..Is this a good workout one thing that always scared me about biking is my thighs will they get bigger as this is my problem area...i live out the country and no one bikes here so, i would be different but im looking for something new, it would be all back roads up and down hills... (a good workout??)

Any advice ??

Dunno about the thighs. This thread at a bike forum does have a lot to say about it and it goes on for at least 10 pages. Some people say that it's only genetics but others have really hard thighs.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=4700
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love riding my bicycle I do it at least twice a week...great way to do cardio...& in Cali' with the nice weather it's a must
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I ride about 50 miles every Saturday, once the days get longer I'll probably be riding after work as well.
    Just got a 2010 Specialized Cross Trail last year, and this year I'm looking to get a road bike for my Triathlons as well.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A question for you avid bicycle fans... I'm a runner with a stress fracture in my foot. The only thing I'm allowed to do is biking but I've never done it for exercise, only casual entertainment. Any tips? Do I just get on the bike and go or what?

Well you could, you may want to wear one of those tight stretchy brace things around your foot for protection. If your town or somewhere near you has a bike rental, try to rent one first, just to see if you like riding a bike. OTOH you can go to a bike shop and "try out" a bike you like. There's a whole line now of Comfort Bikes, like the Trek Navigator, for instance, or a cross hybrid like my Marin Stinson...

I started riding after having foot surgery and couldn't run. I started about 2 to 3 weeks after my surgery. I still had the surgery boot on my foot, and I, personally, was fine. No pain during riding at all - just be careful when you stop if you aren't able to bare weight down on your foot. I learned to really enjoy biking during this time (hated it before that), and still bike or take spinning classes regularly. Good luck and good healing to you! Oh, and any bike will do. You don't need a fancy, expensive bike. As long as it fits you properly and feels comfortable, you will be good.
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    Love riding. I too am a bit of a wimp re the cold weather, but I have been out a few times already this year once it hit high 40s to 50. (Still a bit too cold for me). I ride about 15 miles a day whenever it is warm, and somedays do 20 miles. Just love riding. My hubby and I took a bike riding vacation last year, we hope to do again this year (I think maybe in Wisconsin!). Bought a Specialized Dolce Sport last year and just love it! Anyone else use a Garmin to track and upload their rides?
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Any advice ??

Dunno about the thighs. This thread at a bike forum does have a lot to say about it and it goes on for at least 10 pages. Some people say that it's only genetics but others have really hard thighs.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=4700

Ok so I am certainly no expert here, but for what it's worth I have been riding for the last couple of years, and my personal experience is that this has been the best thing for my thighs ever. Mine have definitely gotten smaller and a lot more toned. My whole thigh, butt, hips areas have all shrunk/tightened up. It is great for toning and shaping. Good luck and happy riding.
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Agree that "fit" is the most important thing about bikes. That's why I love my bike. It fits me perfectly.
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I so wish I was a bike fan. I got a wild idea a couple of years ago that I was going to ride my bike and my husband and I were going to go on these wonderful rides together. Reality set in the minute I had to clip my feet in. I realized I am super afraid of not being able to get my feet unclipped and falling over. I rode maybe 3 times. The poor bike has sat in the garage since. I was going to sell it, but have decided to give it one more try. Hopefully, I can come back on here and say I love riding. I would love to do a mini triathlon one day.
  • janesmith1
    Options
    You don't have to ride your bike with bike clips. Get your bike redone with regular pedals. I don't have clips on mine.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I haven't been bike riding in years, but now I have a job where I have more time to ride. I can't wait to get my bike tuned, and for the weather to warm up.