Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I have just bought my second bike :smile: I have been riding a Specialized Ariel Sport hybrid for the last 18 months and I have just moved up to my first road bike - a Scott Contessa 35 Speedster. :love: She's lovely - have only had her since Sunday so still getting used to the new ride position and how light and responsive she is. It was a decision between the Scott, the Specialized Dolce and a Giant Defy 2. In the end it came down to colour.....!!!! :blushing:

If anyone wants to see, there's a picture at this site:
    http://www.bikes.org.uk/scott-contessa-speedster-35-triple-2011-womens-road-bike/

I ride in all weathers (apart from snow and ice) and cycle to work every day - it's a general 2 mile route though in the summer there are various ways I can go which take it up to 6 or 7 miles each way.

Sometimes it feels really hard to ride but I'm getting much faster and can do hills now that I couldn't do previously. However the bike-riding alone has not done anything for me with regards to weight loss, which is gutting as it works for other people :smile:
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about bike "fit", and yes, just about any bike will do for general exercise purposes. I'm interested in actually doing tours and such, so that's one of the big reasons why I decided to opt for a beginner's road bike. And as far as fit goes, one of the biggest things I've learned is if the bike doesn't fit you properly, it can be pretty uncomfortable to ride a short distance, let alone 10 miles or more. When I got my Marin last weekend, I went into a bike shop (a little hole-in-the-wall type place) and I got THE BEST service I have ever had when it comes to buying anything. I was amazed at all the tweaking that goes into fitting a person for a bike, plus the shop owner installed my computer and water cages for me while I was there. :happy:

But I gotta say, even though I'm still getting used to the feel of this bike vs. my old one, the fit makes a world of difference! Only bad thing is I'm using the saddle that came with it and boy is my backside sore today! :frown: But, as with my last bike, I know it's just a matter of time and I'll get used to this one and won't even feel it anymore. (And padded shorts help, too!) :bigsmile:
  • stenochick0417
    Options
    You don't have to ride your bike with bike clips. Get your bike redone with regular pedals. I don't have clips on mine.

I don't have clips either. Hubby swears by 'em but I need to get a little less, shall we say, wobbly? Before I get confident enough to try them. Honestly, not sure what they're for. . .
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Nerd Alert!!!! Grease monkey in the house!!!!

I love cycling. I do triathlons and it's quickly become my favorite leg. I could tinker with my bike for hours. I love bike shops. I love the bright colors of the peleton. I love climbing. I love going fast. I love being all bada$$ and pulling my two kids in the bike trailer (90 lbs. y'all).

So yes, I love it.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I guess my avatar demonstrates how I feel. I used to ride a lot, back when I was in my thirties. Now I'm nearing 60 and can't go as far or a fast but I enjoy it just as much. Like some others have said of themselves, I'm a wimp in the winter, but these days I'm riding 4/5 days a week. That is in addition to trail running and strength training 3x each weekly. My bike is a Specialized Roubaix but I have had several over the years - Cannondale, several Specialized mountain bikes (Stumpjumper, Stumpjumper M2,) a Jamis Dakar, and a Ritchy. Cycling is the greatest form of exercise on earth! With mountain biking you never even think of it as exercise, it's just so fun to get out and tear around the mountains that it's just an added bonus that you burn so many calories and develop strength, balance, etc. Road biking is different, but when one is fit enough it becomes like racing in a Ferrari - attacking hills then blasting down the other side swooping through corners; it's exhilarating! That's my two cents worth anyway.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Another cyclist here!! I love riding and I've rode almost 800 miles so far this year. I have a Trek 2.1 WSD road bike. I usually ride about 15-20 miles most days of the week and Saturday is my long day about 50-70 miles. Hoping to do a century ride this year. As the weather continues to warm up I'll ride about 200 miles a week. Cycling to me is the best cardio and there's nothing like seeing the world from a bike!
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    You don't have to ride your bike with bike clips. Get your bike redone with regular pedals. I don't have clips on mine.

Very true statement, a pedal swap out is easy and cheap. But I have to add that it really is worth making the transition to clips (actually called clipless - it goes back to when pedals had straps and the clips held the straps and your toes.) I used to be afraid of going clipless on a mountain bike - I had fallen enough times already and assumed that getting out of the clipless pedals would be harder and would make me fall more. Come to find out it is so easy that it becomes second nature - just a little flick of the ankle and you are out. These days the thought of mountain biking in regular pedals scares me. My feet bounce around so much without them that I am not in full control of the bike on technical downhills. And with road biking the clipless system gives you power through the up stroke as well as the down. It is worth the effort to adapt! When I first transitioned I think I fell twice on a mountain bike because of being clipped in and not yet having my feet trained to react properly. I have never fallen on a road bike (knock on wood!)

And if any of you are riding in anything other than high quality cycling shorts, go buy some today. And you don't want to try to save money there, get some good ones. You will be glad you did. My wife initially refused to wear them because of the spandex look and her weight. I bought her a pair anyway and she thanks me every time she gets on her bike. Most people on this thread probably don't need this advice, but if anyone out there is hesitant on cycling shorts for any reason please believe the experienced cyclist and make the plunge. It will change your cycling experience dramatically.
  • stenochick0417
    Options
    Another cyclist here!! I love riding and I've rode almost 800 miles so far this year. I have a Trek 2.1 WSD road bike. I usually ride about 15-20 miles most days of the week and Saturday is my long day about 50-70 miles. Hoping to do a century ride this year. As the weather continues to warm up I'll ride about 200 miles a week. Cycling to me is the best cardio and there's nothing like seeing the world from a bike!

Nice! I wish I could log that many miles now, but again, I'm just starting out. My goal is to do at least 10 miles 5 days a week and then I'm shooting for 20+ on the weekend. (However much my legs can handle) :) I looked at a Trek WSD bike, but it really came down to what the bike dealer had in stock and price. (I'm impatient!) And I totally agree about riding being a great form of cardio -- you sure get more bang for your buck, so to speak.
  • stenochick0417
    Options
    So, basically (not to sound dumb here) clips allow you to pull as you're pedaling? Does it make it easier, or more efficient to pedal? I'm scared to death of flying along and not being to unclip myself if I have to in a pinch. :noway:
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    So, basically (not to sound dumb here) clips allow you to pull as you're pedaling? Does it make it easier, or more efficient to pedal? I'm scared to death of flying along and not being to unclip myself if I have to in a pinch. :noway:

Yes, that is the major purpose. As your right leg pushes down your left leg pulls up. You are using both legs all of the time. Actually it is not pedaling up and down, but circles. At the top and bottom of each stroke you push/pull as if you are scrapping mud off of your shoe. So you get forward motion throughout your entire pedal stroke. They call it pedaling in circles. At all cost avoid just mashing the pedals – that waste so much energy with comparatively little result. It’s all about efficiency. And unclipping is a learned motion. Once your feet and legs get trained to the motion it becomes unconscious movement. I pull up to stop sometimes and find that I unclipped without deciding to. Repetative motion has trained my body. I was initially scared of clipless like most people, but trust me it is the only way to go! Actually don't trust me, ask experienced cyclist anywhere. Hope this helps.
  • stenochick0417
    Options
    Oooh, okay! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I too have always been a little scared of the clips and my husband also swears by them. This has made me want to at least try it. Thanks for all the information. The weather here is still a little iffy, cold and wet the last couple of weeks but trying to get in at least 3 rides a week with Saturday being my longest. I would love more cycling friends if you want to add me.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Almost every day here - mixture of street and trails..
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I bought a new bike in December to cycle to work and back, about 14 miles each way.

Tuesday is the first official outing, I'll know if I love it by tommorow night :o)

I started doing this about a month ago, and it is a blast. My commute is about 17 each way. It's easier to get to work as it is generally downhill with only one character building hill going to work, but it's much harder going home, but that's okay as I can shower there.

Right now I try to do it twice a week, but am trying to figure out how to do more.

I hope you love this as much as I do.
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One thing we bought when I bought my bike is a trainer. You attach your bike to it and it becomes stationary. That is how I practiced with clipping in and out. It really is a learned process. I just got too nervous to get good at it. This post is making me want to try it again. I think I'll pull out the trainer next week.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Our weather has sucked so far this spring. I have only been able to go a handful of times without being all bundled up and what not.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Just got off my bike from my 10.5 mile commute to work. Only about 1 knot headwind as opposed to 13 knots yesterday. Made for a beautiful ride although I got hit in the face by about 30 insects.
  • stenochick0417
    Options
    Okay. This may be a really dumb question, but what do y'all do in the winter when the weather's either too cold or crappy to ride?
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Okay. This may be a really dumb question, but what do y'all do in the winter when the weather's either too cold or crappy to ride?

Move to California. :smile:

Although it isn't a dumb question at all.
  • stenochick0417
    Options
    Ha! :laugh: