Am I doing something wrong?

2»

Replies

• Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    where you have a goal to lose only 10lbs, your caloric deficit may be too large. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be. Try changing your goal to 0.5lb weight loss/week. Eat all of the calories suggested and give it 3-4 weeks then weigh yourself again. When you don't have much to lose and have a large deficit you risk having your body burn muscle, instead of fat, to use as fuel.

I am in the same boat...It can be frustrating when you only have a few pounds to lose. I see heavier people losing like crazy but I can't seem to lose more than 3 lbs ever. I usually gain that back every time. I need to shock my body because I have been doing the same thing for ever and it just isn't working anymore. I managed to lose nearly 90 lbs on Weight Watchers several years ago. I gained about 10 back and I just won't come off. But...I just started Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred and I am going to do that along with my usual kickboxing workout and hope for some results!
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Don't worry so much about the number on the scale (I know, it's hard) but, measure yourself instead. I went for 6 weeks without losing anything so I started measuring everything - chest, waist, arms, hips, thighs, etc. This helps keep me motivated when the scale disappoints. So far I've only lost 7 lbs since Feb, but I've lost 24.5 in overall.

AMAZING! Good Job!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    It's harder to lose that last bit of weight (10 lbs or less), and you have to be really on target to do it. Personally, I've found that if I cut out processed foods (that have lots junk in them, like preservatives, sugar, sodium). that helps a lot. Also, for me, watching my carb intake makes a world of difference.

As soon as you "clean up your diet", the weight will just start dropping off. Also, like someone mentioned, you may want to readjust your goal to losing .5 lbs/wk. That's another thing that I did too that helped move me closer to my goal.
  • Mochadog
    Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
    Yeah, that creamer is a problem I know. It's got my entire daily intake of sugar in it. It's the one thing I can't seem to get rid of in my diet but I might have to cut it out.

Thanks for your input everyone.

I am 5.6" at 155 lbs currently. I am so close to where I'd like to be (145). I'll check sodium and sugar and some of the other suggestions and see if I can't have a better week this week.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    where you have a goal to lose only 10lbs, your caloric deficit may be too large. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be. Try changing your goal to 0.5lb weight loss/week. Eat all of the calories suggested and give it 3-4 weeks then weigh yourself again. When you don't have much to lose and have a large deficit you risk having your body burn muscle, instead of fat, to use as fuel.

This is what I was going to say.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    As said above, the last 10lbs can be difficult to lose. Yes, the diet needs to be in check; eating clean and eating enough is key. I'm guessing you need to eat a little more. That being said, I would also suggest you get your body fat checked and focus on body fat as your goal instead of the weight. Sometimes, people get a number in their head and it's just an arbitrary number really. What is important is how much lean muscle mass you have. You can ask most anyone on here that is truly FIT; they will probably tell you that they weigh a few more pounds than they used to or thought they should, but they are more firm and muscular than they have ever been.
  • Mochadog
    Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
    Jamie1888, good points.... I do tend to carry a lot of muscle weight.

The last ten pounds are INCREDIBLY hard compared to the first 50, it seems!

I'll keep at it though.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    I am 54 this month so a bit older than you. It was a fight from 2/7 to 4/18 to just lose 10 pounds! I feel like I am stuck in the mud. I weigh 158.4 want to lose down to 135. My weight does not want to drop. Take ALL of the advice given by the "pros" here. Eat all or most of your calories, drink more than 8 cups of water as water, exercise but change it up, too, eat the least processed (read salt & sugar) foods, lots of fiber, and probably the most important advice is DO NOT GIVE UP. Your body wants you to give up. It is fighting as hard against you as you are against it. You want to lose, it wants to maintain. You have to be patient enough to know that it is a waiting game. You are hopefully making a life change anyway, so just keep doing what you know to do. ANd don't forget to use the tape measure to mark progress. The tape measure is your TRUE FRIEND. It doesn't play mind games with you. It will show you the results you want when the scale wont. Good luck to you and keep up the good work! = D
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    I do not eat all the deficit calories - I will do that when I lose the weight I want to lose For now, I try to eat 12-1500 calories a day, usually around 1350 and those extra calories from exercise? I think that might be why you are not losing as quickly as you might like.

When I do have to eat out with friends, I feel I have lots of extra calories saved up!

Good luck!
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Try sugar free creamer :)
This discussion has been closed.