Oatmeal - How long does it take to get used to it???

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    No Splenda or Truvia! Use Stevia, it's 100% natural. If you don't like the taste, some brown sugar or real maple syrup won't kill you (I wouldn't say the same for Splenda :sick: ).

Try some berries. I love putting Goji berries in my oatmeal. :happy:

Don't forget the cinnamon! Taste's great and good for you.

Edit: I also throw a banana into it sometimes.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    I have 1-minute quick oats at least 3x per week. I usually top mine with stevia for sweetness. I also sprinkle it with cinnamon.

If you can afford the extra calories, get a super ripe (like brown speckled) banana and mash it up with a fork. Mix it into the oatmeal after it's done cooking and it's amazing! You don't even need to sweeten it when you add the banana. Or, mix in some all natural apple sauce.

I usually go a tad shy on the water when I make mine. You could also try 1/2 skim milk and 1/2 water.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Add some fruit, fresh or frozen! Maybe some cinnamon. Or stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter.

this ^^^^^.....try cinnamon and peanut butter together.......almost taste like a cookie!!!
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    I hate it plain.

I use Bananas and Strawberries in mine and love it.

Try some fresh apples and some cinnamon too.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    I've always made mine with water. I like it thicker so just put some oatmeal in a bowl, add a little water and micro until it gets thick. Doesn't take too long. I like a little brown sugar in it usually, but tried just cinnamon the other day and liked that as well. More of a dessert type taste I guess.
    I don't know if I would like the texture if it was on the runny side. :)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    I make a 1/2 cup of plain oatmeal with water and mix in a Tbls of Peter Pan whipped peanut butter with 1/3 less sugar and a then add a packet of splenda! It's great and keeps me full all morning!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I add a 1/2 frozen blueberries, 1 t of ground flaxseed and 1 T of sweetened coconut flakes.

I have heard peanut butter is good. (I really need to break down and try this, been kinda scared too)

Maple syrup is good in it too.

Cinnamon and diced apples.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I can pretty much eat anything, but I knew that I didn't want to eat plain oatmeal daily, so I first started with a 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1 cup of skim milk, and 1 cup of cereal. I recently changed it to 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cereal, and 1/2 cup of frozen bag of mixed berries.
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    I made mine with water this morning cos I had ran out of skimmed milk,took one spoonful and into the bin it went :laugh:

Made another bowl with semi skimmed milk (my little boy has that )and it was worth the extra cals and fat.

I put in a little sweetner and either sliced banana or cinnamon and grated apple. NON NOM NOM :happy:
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    I don't think its something you get "use to" however I found Kashi Go Lean - Honey Cinammon Oatmeal. Its really good and its at 150 cals.
  • Allison4C
    Allison4C Posts: 140 Member
    I freaking love oatmeal. I put 1 tbsp of liquid vanilla Coffee Mate in it on most mornings.

Check out this website - a tribute to oatmeal. It has some good ideas about what to put in it.

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I love oatmeal because it fills me up with the least amount of calories. I use mom's best natural quick oats, 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup of water. You could use almond milk instead of water and still keep it low calorie as almond milk (unsweetened) adds only 40 calories. I mix in better n peanut butter with my oatmeal or on some days berries.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Oatmeal, in my opinion, is disgusting. Just find something else to eat.
    THIS!!! Honestly, I will try oatmeal every 6 months or so, just b/c I know it's "fantastic" for you... but no matter what kind or with whatever in it, I just can't stand it. To me, it's like chunky snot :sick:
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    Oatmeal is incredibly flexible, and the additive variations are nearly endless!

I start with quick oats (not instant) - 1/2 cup, with 1 cup unsweeted almond milk (you can also mix and match here: 1/2 cup any type of milk, 1/2 cup water, etc.)

For sweet, I like to add 1/2 cup raspberries/ or blueberries/ or chopped strawberries/ or whatever your favorite berries are
    with 2 tsp dark unsweetened cocoa powder. I microwave mine for 2 minutes, keeping an eye on it so it doesn't bubble over.

Then I add 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or polaner all fruit to sweeten further, if it needs it. Depending on the fruit used in the cooking, taste and then adjust accordingly. I also like to add 1 - 2 tbsp chopped toasted walnuts. (Toasting gives any nut a richer flavor).

For savory, I use all water instead of milk, and microwave with some kind of savory herb blend (Spinach & herb dip mix is good, with no salt added). After it's cooked, I add 1/4 cup lowfat shredded cheddar, or 1 oz goat cheese with chopped red peppadew peppers or 1/2 cup peas.

The list of ingredients and combinations is extensive - experiment and see if you can come up with something you really enjoy. Shredded coconut, chopped dark chocolate, almond/peanut/nut butter, jam, favorite fruits... cheeses, fresh herbs, brie and pear... Good luck and happy experimentation!! Please let us know what you try, what works for you and what doesn't :)
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Oatmeal, in my opinion, is disgusting. Just find something else to eat.
    THIS!!! Honestly, I will try oatmeal every 6 months or so, just b/c I know it's "fantastic" for you... but no matter what kind or with whatever in it, I just can't stand it. To me, it's like chunky snot :sick:

Ugh...I like oatmeal but now I may not be able to get that thought out of my head next time I eat it.
  • kswietek
    kswietek Posts: 80
    another oatmeal lover here!!! I have it every morning, but its gotta be the old fashioned oats, the quick oats are too mushy!!! I just use about 1/2 cup of 1% milk with mine.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    if you are looking for a good substitute for lots of fiber .. try fiber one original cereal ... has much more good fiber .. I had 1/2/cup with 1/2 c fresh blackberries this morning with 1/2 c silk lite original .. ended up totalling to 139 cal, 40carbs, 3 fat, 7 protein, 8 sugar, 21 fiber .... I also like steel oats with fresh strawberies, apples, or blueberries
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,223 Member
    It took me a couple of weeks of eating oatmeal every day to get used to it and crave it. Now I get the HUGE container of raw oats and here's a few ideas of how I have my oatmeal - some of them aren't terribly healthy, but they're ideas! LOL I do make it w/ 1/2 cup of almond or low fat milk and sweeten w/ either brown sugar or sweet & low/splenda/whatever is handy. You could also sweeten w/ agave syrup - i think that would be tasty.

Anyhow, here are a few ideas for add-ins....

1. 2 tablespoons of peanut (or almond) butter & banana (SUPER yum!)

2. 1/8 cup of dark choc chips & 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (another fave!)

3. 1/2 cup of pumpkin purree & 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (YUM!!!)

4. 1/2 cup of blueberry compote (homemade) - maybe some greek yogurt mixed in there - just depends!

5. Strawberries & greek yogurt

You can also check hungry girl, she always has great ideas for oatmeal....

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/876
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Don't eat anything you don't like! Don't force yourself to eat it if you don't like it! I love mine with some cinnamon, honey, and thawed frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries medley). It's yummy!
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    I make a batch of steel cut oats and refrigerate the leftovers to heat up during the week before work - it is super fast and easy.

At night before bed (usually 1x per week):
    Boil 4 cups water
    Once water has boiled, turn it off.
    Add 1 cup Country Choice Organic Steel Cut Oats (they use this brand at Jamba Juice, you can buy it at Safeway)

Let soak overnight.

In the morning turn on the burner to get the oats to bubble, then turn down for about 12-15 minutes.

Done! I eat mine with Splenda Brown Sugar Blend and a tiny bit of margarine.
This discussion has been closed.