Oatmeal - How long does it take to get used to it???

Options

Replies

• jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    "Don't eat anything you don't like" SO TRUE .. if you do not like it spit it out ... find something you can really live with and you enjoy ... if you do not really like it you will not stick with it .. after all we are trying to do life stye changes .. not diets per say ...
  • meganwolsker
    Options
    I loooove oatmeal. If I cook the regular kind (instead of the quaker microwaveable packets) I prepare it with the water and then after it is cooked I will add some truvia (natural sweetner) and two tablespoons of skim milk and some fruit--especially blueberries (YUM!)
    Other variations I like are the milk and truvia and about two tablespoons of pure maple syrup for a different flavor (a little more calories though).
    AAAAND if I am having a chocolate craving I will do the milk and truvia with 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips and it is soooooo good and tastes like a no-bake cookie :) Hope this helps!
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was never an oatmeal fan, hell I never ate breakfast until I started using MFP, but I knew I needed to start so I bought the Quaker Hearty Medley's to try out and I really like em! The two I've tried are apple/cranberry/almond and a banana/walnut. If you're still willing to give oatmeal a shot, I would recommend trying some of these! I don't go one day without oatmeal in the morning now!
  • barneygoogle
    Options
    I read an article recently about oatmeal. Apparently people who like oatmeal are masochistic by nature and prone to self-abuse.
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use Coachs Steel Cut Oatmeal from costco. I add Max muscle vanilla Protein to in and it is pretty good. sometimes I also add blurberries to that.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Forcing yourself to eat something you hate is not a good start. Healthy eating is not a punishment. Don't eat it anymore!!

So true!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently about oatmeal. Apparently people who like oatmeal are masochistic by nature and prone to self-abuse.

Oh really??? I love oatmeal!
  • barneygoogle
    Options

Oh really??? I love oatmeal!
    You have my deepest sympathy. Stay strong...
  • sherrisluzinit4good
    sherrisluzinit4good Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of craisins and chopped walnuts in it and I use Truvia as sweetner. I love it like this, also, it tastes better made with skim milk. I eat oatmeal at least 3-4 x a week. HOpe that helps you out! U can substitute any dry fruit you like for the craisins, e.g. blueberries, strawberries, etc. :flowerforyou:
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    I add any type of berry and a little yogurt OR Nuts, cinnamon, raisins or craisins, and a little honey. And a dash of salt helps, too.
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast, add raisins, a little butter , and a dash of milk or soy milk. Very Tasty!!! The 5 min. variety is better for you. Good luck learning to enjoy it!!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I HATE oatmeal but made myself eat it for awhile when dealing with some health issues. I put a pile of frozen red raspberries or blueberries on top and microwaved it and put in just a little 1% milk and it wasn't that bad!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    unsweetened apple sauce (the different flavors) make it taste okay ...
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You could try some alternative grains that aren't oatmeal. I'm not the hugest oatmeal fan but I do like eating grains for breakfast.

Try cooking quinoa (on the stove or in a rice cooker). I cook 1 part quinoa, 2 parts water in my rice cooker, then add some vanilla light soymilk to it (it's only 80 cals per cup, and I usually only add 1/3 of a cup or so). Sprinkle with some cinnamon, add in some berries or raisins, and a bit of vanilla extract - delicious. It keeps well in the fridge and you can eat it cold, too.

I also love kasha (roasted buckwheat). I cook it with half water, half vanilla soymilk, and again add cinnamon, vanilla extract, and raisins or berries. Top with a splash of pure maple syrup for added sweetness if you want, and are ok with some sugar.

I've also tried amaranth for breakfast... it's not as high up on my favourites list because it seemed to take a lot longer to cook, and I like the texture of quinoa and kasha better.

Good luck! :)
  • jamieyuen
    Options
    I like my instant oatmeal packets (100 calories) + fat free milk (90 calories) + a tsp of brown sugar (10 calories). = 200 calorie breakfast.

Add cranberries or a spoonful of vanilla granola and it's a treat :)

I also like eating my breakfast with a banana. 300 calories for the morning is a good start!
  • Betty8461
    Betty8461 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know instant oatmeal is not as healthy as rolled oats but I love wild blueberry from Quaker. Super yummy and very filling. I am a nurse and it holds me over on busy days. :) BTW. I use water and splenda in mine.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    try it with almond milk instead of water. i also add bananas, raisins and chopped walnuts. :smile:
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should force yourself to eat something you don't like while dieting. I know oatmeal is good for you and a great tool to losing weight. However, I can't stand it and I won't eat it. Just find something that you like. Dieting should be about learning to eat new things but also enjoying them at the same time. good luck
  • misssimone08
    Options
    Add some splenda and cinnamon....I love oatmeal
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't eat something you hate just because its good for you, there are plenty of other healthy choices out there. I really love oatmeal, I buy the Quaker old fashioned oats too. I use unsweetened almond milk instead of water, add 1/8 cup of raisins and walnuts to the milk and season with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. My husband loves it too! Hope you find a way to enjoy it!