What does Morality mean to you?

JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
edited September 26 in Chit-Chat
I am playing devils advocate here and seeing how and who taught you what morality is and what your morals are? What in your life dictates what is good and what is bad? I am posting this because most of us just saw the married man locked post PLUS I watched the movie Crash last night and was reading a book that dove deeply into morals and who/how and why they are in someone's live and how they are created as a viewpoint of the person passing them on to someone else.

Please fill this post with your moral views BUT no fighting just adult like conversation please

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    To me it is very simple....if you have to ask if it is is wrong/what to do, you already know it is. Morality is up to every single one of us to decide for ourselves ( society will always be there to argue ) but I think it is quite simple. We already know.
  • The adverts at the top of this thread are: "How to Stop an Affair", "Fix Thyroid and Lose Weight" and "Make Him Addicted to You". Therfore, morality to me is fixing a god damn thyroid. :drinker:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    To me it is very simple....if you have to ask if it is is wrong/what to do, you already know it is. Morality is up to every single one of us to decide for ourselves ( society will always be there to argue ) but I think it is quite simple. We already know.

+1
  • JDMPWR
    I feel this is wrong. I feel your environment tells you what is wrong and right and society but you maybe brought up in a social environment that is on a totally different wave length then others.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Morality to me is dont do anything to someone you wouldnt want done to you.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    I try to abide by the golden rule (treat others like you want to be treated), that's what morality means to me.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    The most important thing I've ever learned was probably before I could even talk. "Treat others the way you'd want to be treated".

I guess for me topics like that are just so obvious that you shouldn't have to ask. I think between my grandparents, parents and teachers I learned most of my morals but alot of it just come iwth age and experience I think.
  • I believe that everyone knows the difference between the right and wrong thing to do. When you become personally involved in a situation your brain has a way to make the wrong things seem like the best choice, whether it be to gain something or get ahead in life.

People tend to make decisions based on what's good for them at the time even though the consequenses may catch up to them later on.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    You want to ask the Philosophy major?

My ethical theory of choice is a combination of intuitionism and Kant's moral imperative.

Intuitionism is the belief that we have a moral "faculty," or drive, built into us psychologically that governs our behavior. It is the same as your gut feeling, sort of a pull in the right direction, or a conscience.

Immanuel Kant's moral imperative is basically the moral calculus of the Golden Rule. But instead of do unto others as you would have them do unto you, it is "Only act upon that maxim which you could at the same time will into universal law."

What the hell does that mean?

Don't do it if you wouldn't want everyone doing it.

The easy example is vaccinating. You don't want to vaccinate your kid because of rumors of the side-effects, but if EVERYONE didn't vaccinate kids, your kid would likely die of malaria - deadly diseases that we have vaccinations to thank for wiping out.

Another example? Recycling. You can't expect everyone to do it if you don't.

So you do what you can will into universal law.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    I try to abide by the golden rule (treat others like you want to be treated), that's what morality means to me.

^^^^^^ That,... and go with your gut, if it feels wrong then it probably is. I also believe in karma so I think what goes around comes around and you get out of life what you put into it. May not work for some but it works for me.
  • JDMPWR
    I know most of my moral values were applied to my brother and myself from the viewpoint of my mother and how my parents dysfunctional relationship applied to those morals and then after reading a book about how the 100 richest and most powerful men did not believe in the concept of morals in the traditional sense and only in there later years did they realize this and try to step back and "make up" for the lack of morality in the years it took them to reach the pinnacle of their careers.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Before I was married and had children, not getting caught was the same thing to me as not doing it.
  • JDMPWR
    Before I was married and had children, not getting caught was the same thing to me as not doing it.

Exactly my point.......that was morality right to you on some level even if just an excuse more then an answer.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    In the context of, for example, a marital affair, my morality dictates that to hurt someone else, in the process of achieving my own personal satisfaction or pleasure, at the expense of another humans well being, or even worse, at the risk of tearing apart a family would be WRONG and therefore result in a KARMIC ***** SLAP of epic proportions.

Just sayin.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Okay, let me be honest, apparently when I read the topic, I was thinking mortality, and totally was gonna post "Mortal Kombat is the coolest game ever!" But I do kinda agree with Jenna and FearAnLoathing. Morals are similar but widely different by the way you were raised, based on your family structure, religious affiliation, so on and so forth. Is it moral to covet a married man or woman, no, that is one of the ten commandments, "thy shall not covet thy neighbors wife" but then again, in a polygimist (sp) society, that may be okay, and considered moral to them.

Morality is a question of right and wrong, depending on social norms as well as nature, nuture and upbringing. So it depends on a great number of factors.
    However, in the case of the post about the married man, she wasn't asking anything about morallity, she wanted someone to tell her, go for it. Morallity wasn't in question, carnal knowledge was.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Do unto others...

I hold my wedding vows sacred. My husband would say the same.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    For Me Morality is so Broad it can only encompass the Golden Rule: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You (I Want For Others What I Want For Myself!)

NOW VALUES and Ethics are a WHOLE DIFFERENT Topic>>>How DO You Live, ACTUALLY LIVE! Morality is to Values as Reputation is to Character.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member

^^^^^^ That,... and go with your gut, if it feels wrong then it probably is. I also believe in karma so I think what goes around comes around and you get out of life what you put into it. May not work for some but it works for me.

Amen on both quotes. Karma and the Golden Rule.
  • Okay, let me be honest, apparently when I read the topic, I was thinking mortality, and totally was gonna post "Mortal Kombat is the coolest game ever!"
    :laugh:
  • JDMPWR
    I feel wedding vows are applied to via religion. Would you agree? Well in that same statement how many people that hold their wedding vows so sacred were both virgins when they wed? I feel piece of morality applied by religion has been washed away over time....wonder why that is? :)

Maybe I should retitle the post to morals/values?
This discussion has been closed.