Options

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    do as you would be done by
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I feel wedding vows are applied to via religion. Would you agree? Well in that same statement how many people that hold their wedding vows so sacred were both virgins when they wed? I feel piece of morality applied by religion has been washed away over time....wonder why that is? :)

Maybe I should retitle the post to morals/values?
    That wouldn't be morals as much as a code of conduct via the church.
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    when that voice in your head is screaming something is wrong! something is wrong! that is that subconcious telling you that something is truely wrong.
    karma karma karma
    when you treat others poorly it comes back 3x worse!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Everything you need to know.

* Share.
    * Play fair.
    * Don't hit people.
    * Put things back where you found them.
    * Clean up your own mess.
    * Don't take things that aren't yours.
    * Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
    * Wash your hands before you eat.
    * Flush.
    * Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
    * Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
    * Take a nap every afternoon.
    * When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
    * Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
    * Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
    * And then remember the ****-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've been raised in a positive environment, and to be honest.. I just follow my heart. Or spirit... or what ever you want to call it :) It seems to usually be right!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have NOT read that Infamous Post about the Married Man. But just let Me say this...WHY is all of the Blame falling on the woman who IS NOT MARRIED? DID SHE make a VOW before GOD and Man to be Faithful to her spouse...OH SHE is NOT Married! So My question: WHO is REALLY Breaking Up a Marriage>>>For Me, it is the Person who MADE The VOW! That person's Morality and Values need to be questioned as well as the poor misguided person also in the adulterous relationship with the VOWED Person.

I always question the self-esteem of the Cheater, Someone who is willing to be a Mistress/Other Man AND PEOPLE who will Over Look The Man's ROLE as the Cheater/Home Wrecker. Why does the man always get a Pass!?
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

I dont believe in this. If I hurt someone and I knew I was going to and it was done with purpose then why would I say I am sorry for it?
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Morality to me is dont do anything to someone you wouldnt want done to you.

EXACTLY!!!!!!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have NOT read that Infamous Post about the Married Man. But just let Me say this...WHY is all of the Blame falling on the woman who IS NOT MARRIED? DID SHE make a VOW before GOD and Man to be Faithful to her spouse...OH SHE is NOT Married! So My question: WHO is REALLY Breaking Up a Marriage>>>For Me, it is the Person who MADE The VOW! That person's Morality and Values need to be questioned as well as the poor misguided person also in the adulterous relationship with the VOWED Person.

I always question the self-esteem of the Cheater, Someone who is willing to be a Mistress/Other Man AND PEOPLE who will Over Look The Man's ROLE as the Cheater/Home Wrecker. Why does the man always get a Pass!?

I think they both can be equally responsible. No one gives any one a free pass and if it had been the married man asking I'm sure he would have gotten the same responses.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think that I'm similar to most people in how my morals were formed, which is mostly 'caught not taught'; a good portion from my parents, some formally from some spiritual teachings, but mostly from trial and error and understanding what "functions" in life and let's us live with ourselves.

Oddly enough, most people seem to come to the same conclusions sooner or later in life, some version of the golden rule.

I've met very few western born people that had a moral code that was much more complex than that. People that have a moral code that is more complicated have often educated themselves into that position.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I feel wedding vows are applied to via religion. Would you agree? Well in that same statement how many people that hold their wedding vows so sacred were both virgins when they wed? I feel piece of morality applied by religion has been washed away over time....wonder why that is? :)

Maybe I should retitle the post to morals/values?

In response, no, I wasn't a virgin when I got married, and neither was my wife, we were 28 and 26 respectively. But one I said those vows I became committed to my wife and only my wife. Which meant I would no longer seek carnal knowledge from another.

As far as the "V" card, it was put to me like this, you wouldn't buy a new car without test driving it first, would you??
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Why does the man always get a Pass!?

Sorry for not quoting the whole post but this portion stood out to me the most.

I'd say that historically, yes, the man has gotten a pass in infidelity, but in more contemporary culture the man that cheats is now open season for whatever random and over the top retribution that comes his way.

I can think of plenty of current pop-psychologist that promote the mentality of "A man that cheats is a sex-crave adolescence and a woman that cheats is not getting her emotional needs met".

I always thought that it was interesting that the movies "Fatal Attraction" and "Bridges of Madison County" came out so close to each other and deal with infidelity in such different ways.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I dont believe in this. If I hurt someone and I knew I was going to and it was done with purpose then why would I say I am sorry for it?

The question here is why would you do something that you know would purposely hurt another? That goes against the whole "do unto others".
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I am playing devils advocate here and seeing how and who taught you what morality is and what your morals are? What in your life dictates what is good and what is bad? I am posting this because most of us just saw the married man locked post PLUS I watched the movie Crash last night and was reading a book that dove deeply into morals and who/how and why they are in someone's live and how they are created as a viewpoint of the person passing them on to someone else.

Please fill this post with your moral views BUT no fighting just adult like conversation please

Morality is a philosophy that can be modified, codified and devalued as easily as the days change. Someone already mentioned Kant; and if you're at all familiar with the history of philosophy, then you know that this is an age old conversation about what morality is and where it comes from. It's about as elusive as proving religion (ANY religion). Just ask Plato, Socrates, or Jesus. They'll all give you a different answer.

Good and bad are non-existent. We, as human beings, place these values on circumstances and events on some personal scale based on experiences - our world view - aka: schema (for those in psychology). Same is true for "right" and "wrong"; in spite of universal law, it's a flawed theory. If I recall correctly, there's was a great amount of conflict between this and the concept of "duty".

Values are beliefs that we hold in the highest esteem, but we may not necessarily act on.

Ethics - now ethics is another animal that is bred from a combination of morals, values and society/culture. I believe this may be the real question at hand. We are living in extremely unethical times; probably more so now than in the dark ages as this has more of a global effect, thank you technology.

I have exceptionally high ethics but I cannot claim sainthood and come even remotely close to living completely up to them at all times. My ethics revolve around the golden rule, karma, and just generally what I perceive as being humane, kind, and good. Don't hurt something that can't defend itself; if you must kill, make it for food and use all parts of your kill - and for crying out loud, thank it for its sacrifice; war - under any guise - is wrong because it is glorified and sanctioned murder no matter how you pretty it up; unless it is as a necessary evil of self-defense, killing is wrong; generally, lying is wrong but if you've ever encountered a "moral dilemma" problem, then you know there's exceptions to every rule and nothing is absolute.

Nothing is absolute. Therein lies probably the biggest flaw of Kant's philosophies (IMHO) and in many people's perceptions of morality.

I've always been very sensitive and empathetic - but I have also found a hardness inside of me that has to do with survival. I will turn the other cheek until you threaten me or my ability to care for my family... then it's on and I feel ethically and morally validated in whatever actions I deem necessary under those particular circumstances.

We can't deitize our beliefs when it comes to real human action and interaction or we will never become what we could be.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I try to abide by the golden rule (treat others like you want to be treated), that's what morality means to me.

DITTO!!!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the post about the married man either. So, instead, I will address the title of this post as I see it. What does morality mean to me?

Morality means whatever I 'think' is right, is in fact right and whatever I 'think' is wrong, is in fact wrong, regardless of whether I'm 'actually' right or wrong.

As for the do unto others as you'd have done unto you - it's great in theory but in practical application it doesn't always hold water.

If I'm a thief and my morals dictate stealing is 'okay', or 'right', then why am I so upset when someone steals from me?

Or, if I tell a little white lie because I believe little white lies are 'okay' or 'right', then why do I get so upset when someone tells me a little white lie?

And if I believe everyone on the road should drive carefully, with caution and consideration of others, and that all accidents are preventable, then why don't I get upset at myself after I've just cut someone off accidentally as I do everyone else?

The problem with morals is that we all want to believe there is only a good OR bad, that we should behave one way OR the other instead of there being a good AND bad.

The problem with morals is that they don't take into account the duplicity of man in all of his or her contradictions.

The problems with morals is that because they are concerned with or adhering to the code of interpersonal behavior that is considered right or acceptable in a particular society, and that society is imperfect and filled with contradictory morals depending on who is judging and who is being judged, there can never be a truly unified code upon which we can all agree.

If it's not okay for a married man to have an affair, why do so many married women who've recently been betrayed by adulterous husbands end up sleeping with other married men and vice versa?

Do you see the point I'm trying to convey? Morals are, in my opinion, too ambiguous because people are too contradictory in their thoughts and behaviors.

This website is living proof of that.

How many of us here on MFP want to change our eating habits, lose excess fat, and live healthier lives? And yet, in that process, how many of us live contrary to our desires? We cheat, over-indulge, skip our workouts, binge, don't record everything we've eaten, purposely don't log on, look for quick fixes .... do I really need to go on?

Thus, I believe those things concerned with or adhering to the code of interpersonal behavior that is considered right or acceptable in a particular society can only occur with consistency AFTER a global unification of thoughts, emotions and desires. Until then, we continue to live in internal discord, ambiguity and contradiction. It's as simple and complex as that.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

The question here is why would you do something that you know would purposely hurt another? That goes against the whole "do unto others".

Hence my post in the first place. My moral upbringing is totally different then most. I was brought up an eye for an eye and some other views that most people don't agree with.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    To WeWon:
    Right, Right.
    Maybe this should be a Topic that examines ANYONE'S need to Cheat instead of making Judgments on someone who OPENLY admits to cheating. Morality PROBABLY has Nothing to Do with it (Morality is Belief, Values are ACTIONS.) So many people BELIEVE in THEIR Child/or Someone Else's Staying a Virgin until they get married, BUT They, Themselves did NOT.

Asking someone what they BELIEVE is soooo easy and the RESPONSE is EASY. But Do you know it has taken Me over 3 years to THOUGHTFULLY Write out My VALUES and Tweak them. It's about How I LIVE and Striving to LIVE That WAY!

Reading and WORKING, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, By Stephen Covey Forced Me to Work through and SEE Myself and the LIFE that I was Living. It Forced Me to PARTICIPATE in My Own Life.

I don't mind making Judgments on someone if I LIVE what I am saying; BUT if I just BELIEVE something and have NOT proven I can LIVE IT, THEN I'm also Judging Myself. It is written: We CONDEMN OURSELVES out of our OWN Mouth!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Morality is a philosophy that can be modified, codified and devalued as easily as the days change. Someone already mentioned Kant; and if you're at all familiar with the history of philosophy, then you know that this is an age old conversation about what morality is and where it comes from. It's about as elusive as proving religion (ANY religion). Just ask Plato, Socrates, or Jesus. They'll all give you a different answer.

Good and bad are non-existent. We, as human beings, place these values on circumstances and events on some personal scale based on experiences - our world view - aka: schema (for those in psychology). Same is true for "right" and "wrong"; in spite of universal law, it's a flawed theory. If I recall correctly, there's was a great amount of conflict between this and the concept of "duty".

Values are beliefs that we hold in the highest esteem, but we may not necessarily act on.

Ethics - now ethics is another animal that is bred from a combination of morals, values and society/culture. I believe this may be the real question at hand. We are living in extremely unethical times; probably more so now than in the dark ages as this has more of a global effect, thank you technology.

I have exceptionally high ethics but I cannot claim sainthood and come even remotely close to living completely up to them at all times. My ethics revolve around the golden rule, karma, and just generally what I perceive as being humane, kind, and good. Don't hurt something that can't defend itself; if you must kill, make it for food and use all parts of your kill - and for crying out loud, thank it for its sacrifice; war - under any guise - is wrong because it is glorified and sanctioned murder no matter how you pretty it up; unless it is as a necessary evil of self-defense, killing is wrong; generally, lying is wrong but if you've ever encountered a "moral dilemma" problem, then you know there's exceptions to every rule and nothing is absolute.

Nothing is absolute. Therein lies probably the biggest flaw of Kant's philosophies (IMHO) and in many people's perceptions of morality.

I've always been very sensitive and empathetic - but I have also found a hardness inside of me that has to do with survival. I will turn the other cheek until you threaten me or my ability to care for my family... then it's on and I feel ethically and morally validated in whatever actions I deem necessary under those particular circumstances.

We can't deitize our beliefs when it comes to real human action and interaction or we will never become what we could be.

Thank you for bringing up the debate between morals and ethics. I wanted to begin the dialogue but I'm being lazy today and didn't feel like typing it all out haha. I think you did a better job than I would have anyway.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hence my post in the first place. My moral upbringing is totally different then most. I was brought up an eye for an eye and some other views that most people don't agree with.
    [/quote]

I do believe "an eye for an eye" is from the bible as is "turn the other cheek", making it difficult to decided which way to go. But the way I look at it is in the case of "an eye for an eye" where does it stop?