I cannot jog any longer than 3 minutes

Options

Replies

• tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    At 8.5 you are also in a more anaerobic state than an aerobic state, so it's no surprise your chest starts burning and you pull muscles. But major KUDOS for lasting a full 3 minutes at that speed...I'm impressed!!! Seriously.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Holy hanna, I wouldn't be able to run longer than 3 minutes either at 8.5mph! Slow it down to 6.0mph for 2 minutes, then sprint to 8.5 for a minute.

You want to build up your endurance and this definitely works!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    maybe reduce ur speed a bit --- ur probably going way too fast ( for now) 8.5 try 5.0 or 4.5

Completely agree. When I started I tried to do about 5mph and took it down to about 4.5. I'm faster now but nowhere near 8.5...that's a 7min mile. And quite frankly, I know some fast runners, but none of them are anywhere near that pace. Slow it down, and like a few others have said, find yourself a plan. Tons of them out on the internet.

New runners have a habit of trying to do too much too fast or go too fast. That's how they get hurt!
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    yeah 8.5 is pretty fast. start at like a 12 mile per minute job. When you jog - breathe in cadence thru your nose - in two three out two three. There are also some good articles out there for deep breathing. i have found that when i do long runs and my breathing starts getting funky - slow down and breathe DEEP from your belly. Take all the air out and then back in. It re-oxygenates your lungs and i SWEAR it helps.

Also if you can, find someone to run w u. The trick is to find someone a little better than you. you will push yourself much harder.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a little while now - I can generally do about 6 mph for 30-40 minutes. However, I've switched to intervals instead of one straight pace. I do 6 mph and less to cool down from my 'sprints' at 8.5 LOL! You're going WAY too fast. I'm no expert runner by any means, but I am more than a beginner and I'm pushing myself hard to do 8.5 mph for 60 second intervals. It's impressive that as a beginner you can do 8.5 for 3 minutes!! Slow it down and you'll do great!
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to control my breathing when I jog either... I can say you are definately going to fast. The Couch to 5K helped me a lot. give it a try it builds up your speed and edurance a little at a time.
    Good Luck!
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    8.5mph isn't jogging... that's flat out RUNNING!!!

How about slowing down? I started out at 5mph and after four months, I'm up to averaging about 6.7.

Maintaining your 8.5 mph pace would mean doing a 5k in about 20 minutes. That's crazy fast... about the fastest pace of the female athletes that win our local races, anyway. And I can bet you they didn't start out running that fast. :smile:

And another thing... so what if you have to stop while running in public? There's nothing wrong with that at all, not even if it's during a race. No one is going to judge you. No one even knows what your plan is. For all they know, you might be training by running a few minutes, then walking. That's how the Couch to 5k and a lot of other running plans train.
  • Swilson87
    Swilson87 Posts: 139
    Options
    8.5 is not a jog, it's a sprint. Slow it down and you'll be fine...
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    My suggestion would be to run at 5.0mph for as long as you can. If you like speed, do 45 second sprints at 7.5mph for 45 seconds or a minute. Running at 8.5mph is a SPRINT! I guarantee if you can do 8.5mph for 3 minutes, you can certainly do a mile at 5.0mph. It may seem slow, but I would gradually work my way up to a faster run. I really enjoy running at a "slower" speed and then sprinting. I've noticed that sprinting has really helped with distance (meaning, I can run a lot further than I could before). :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    8.5 mph = ~7 minute miles = really damn fast

slow WAY down to a "conversational pace" = a speed at which you can talk to someone without out huffing and puffing
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    WOAH! Are you sure you don't mean 8.5km/h?

Try C25K - its been incredible for me I can't say enough good things about it!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    On the plus side, if you can keep that up for 26.2 miles, you qualify for Boston!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    8.5 mph = ~7 minute miles = really damn fast

slow WAY down to a "conversational pace" = a speed at which you can talk to someone without out huffing and puffing

great thread -- and this point in particular wants to make me say HOW? i am still running too fast too and walking to recover hoping to reach that 'conversational' sweet spot and stay there
  • higgldy_piggldy
    Options
    8.5 mph is a racing speed.

slow it down to 5.5 -6 mph and work up your endurance. You don't want to bust your knees out. as you are able to run for longer periods of time....THEN you can start adding 1 minute sprints of 8.5 to your running...

I def. recommend C25K. Look for podcasts hat tell you when to run and when to walk.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    On the plus side, if you can keep that up for 26.2 miles, you qualify for Boston!

How crazy is it that the winners run at 12.6 MPH for the entire 26.2 miles.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

How crazy is it that the winners run at 12.6 MPH for the entire 26.2 miles.

It's ridiculous! With all the elites running together it doesn't look that fast but then today I was like 'If I run a 10 min/mile and theyre running a 5min/mile THATS TWICE AS FAST AS I RUN.' Blew my mind - I feel like if I put that speed in on the treadmill my legs would be going crazy cartoon style running!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

WOAH! Are you sure you don't mean 8.5km/h?

I thought that too....that makes a bit more sense!

And I also am in awe of the elite runners. When I ran my second half marathon the full marathon ran back into the half. The elite runners caught up to me about mile 11...mile 24 or so for them. I'm giving it what little I have left, and they had barely broken a sweat (at least they looked that way!!) and didn't look winded at all. CRAZY STUFF!!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar problem earlier this year. I couldn't figure out how people keep going when they get all out of breath. Everyone pretty much suggested that I needed to see a doctor;-> I don't think so. What I started doing was sprinting. Now to the average runner (or my 12 year old grandson) it may not look like sprinting but to me it is. I would run half a loop of the parking garage uphill just as fast as I could, walk back and run again. I enjoy that ever so much more than steady pace jogging.

I have found that my endurance and my breath has improved greatly. These days I am sprinting up a little hill on my noontime walk/jog thing.

Now I have to get past the mental block that says, "gosh this is boring how am I going to do this for an hour . . . let's sprint!"
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    8.5 is not a jog IMO. I started at a 4.0 then moved up to a 4.2 then a 4.5. Now I can run comfortable at a 5.0 :) I have short legs though
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think I would fly off the treadmil at that pace! Slow down I feel a good pace is any where between 5-6mph.