Do you count the water in your protein shake...

Options
Hi, this may seem like a dumb question but I am curious as I have never counted it, do you count the water you mix with a protein shake in your daily water intake? I never did because it is not "pure water". Just wondering.

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I count it since there's no caffeine
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No, sorry. The only time this is acceptable is right after WLS.

Otherwise, water is No Sugar, Non Carbonated, No Caffiene drinks. All of those can be water: Crystal Light, Vitamin Water Zero, Life Water 0, etc....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I count everything I drink as water. Not that I have protein shakes, but if I did, I would count it.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I usually do, unless I have drank well above my usual water goal, and I am not worried about recording the little bit extra.

I kind of look at it like not counting your salad, just because you put salad dressing on it, or the steamed veggies, because you put a little bit of butter on them.
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    Nope never have! But I always thought that I should though.
  • rgfor40
    rgfor40 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i don't. I feel the water i drink helps flush my organs and hydrate. if it;s in protien that's not happening.
    do you count the water in beer as water intake?? i think not :(
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i use milk in my shakes :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Count whatever YOU want! There's no stead fast rule and no one is the boss of your own journey but YOU. 8 glasses/day works for some and not for others... I eat a10+ servings of veggies a day and only drink about 4 straight glasses of water. Never had a problem. Drink herbal teas, protein shakes, and coffee (oh yes - COFFEE! :laugh:) and I've had no trouble staying hydrated and losing weight. Do what makes you feel good, drink before you get too thirsty, try to avoid the sugary stuff, and log whatever you want to count! That's my best advice :happy:
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    I say no because you wouldn't count the water separately if you were making soup would you? I see it as the same - an ingredient of the shake and you log the shake.

I rarely drink plain pure water ( I know, bad!) but I do drink the sobe 0 and other no cal flavored waters so I made a category called drinks where I log them individually.
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't... guess I never really thought about it.

I usually drink enough plain water that it's a bonus if it's supposed to count. :drinker:
  • Cartel
    Cartel Posts: 40
    Options
    Negative.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it has been fairly conclusively proved that it doesn't matter where you get your liquid from, as long as you get enough. I remember seeing a study on twins getting one to drink 2 litres of water a day and the other not being allowed any water, only things like tea, coke, etc, and after several months there was absolutely no discernible difference.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, the only time i count water when it's not by itself is in my protein powder after a workout. I think it's because i log the protein powder as a dry ingredient. I don't count coffee or tea as water. :drinker:
  • Ghostrider32
    Options
    I do count it, because it all goes in my stomach if I had a Milk protein shake 30 min before my food or water that's like saying it wouldn't count. Or juices from food when you drink water. I'm sure drinking water on a pure empty stomach has a benefit. But I'm not willing to starve before I drink water.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So much magical thinking in this thread. Water is water. It doesn't matter if it has powder mixed into it. It's still water.

It will also still be water if you freeze it, pray over it, add carbonation, or even *gasp* steep tea leaves in it.

Heck most of our food has a high water content and that also contributes to hydration requirements. (Fruits and vegetables are 90%+ water) It's not like your body just throws it out because it came shipped inside a cucumber.

If you think that only pure water is useful for your bodies liquid requirements the burden of proof rests with you to prove it, because science and common human experience suggest otherwise.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    So much magical thinking in this thread. Water is water. It doesn't matter if it has powder mixed into it. It's still water.

It will also still be water if you freeze it, pray over it, add carbonation, or even *gasp* steep tea leaves in it.

Heck most of our food has a high water content and that also contributes to hydration requirements. (Fruits and vegetables are 90%+ water) It's not like your body just throws it out because it came shipped inside a cucumber.

If you think that only pure water is useful for your bodies liquid requirements the burden of proof rests with you to prove it, because science and common human experience suggest otherwise.

This. I drink about eight cups of tea a day and very little "pure" water. I have not died of dehydration yet.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Of course. Water is water. It all gets mixed up in your digestive tract, so why does it matter if you mix it with something prior to ingesting? Hell, you can get hydration from foods with high water content like fruits and veggies. Mixing it doesn't change its hydrating properties at all.

Edit: my bad, just realized I got beat to the punch on this one.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Get out with all your logic and science and facts and shiz!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people never drink plain water, I'm pretty sure they're not all dying of dehydration.