Do you count the water in your protein shake...

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So much magical thinking in this thread. Water is water. It doesn't matter if it has powder mixed into it. It's still water.

It will also still be water if you freeze it, pray over it, add carbonation, or even *gasp* steep tea leaves in it.

Heck most of our food has a high water content and that also contributes to hydration requirements. (Fruits and vegetables are 90%+ water) It's not like your body just throws it out because it came shipped inside a cucumber.

If you think that only pure water is useful for your bodies liquid requirements the burden of proof rests with you to prove it, because science and common human experience suggest otherwise.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Get out with all your logic and science and facts and shiz!

If the Fremen would count it as water, it's water.

Fremen.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So many crazy people out there. Water is not water if mixed with whey protein? What does it become exactly? Anyone that believes this, I would love to hear the science behind what happens to the water when it's mixed with protein and how your body processes the water differently? What are the new pathways created? Does the water somehow do something magical?

So, I'm curious. Do you count everything you eat and drink as water?? I mean, it all has water in it, right?? So, by your description, it should all count as water ......

I count: Tea. Coffe. Milk (But) flavored water, and soda.

I don't count food because while it contains water the exact amount to log would be hard, since the little glass only goes up by cups. I know, for example, milk is about 80% water. I take in a cup and a half (blahblahrounding) and log it as a cup. I drink a 12oz soda, I log it as a cup.

Surprisingly simple.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Water is water. I only log when I drink a glass of just water.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't count water, just make sure I'm hydrated.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    So many crazy people out there. Water is not water if mixed with whey protein? What does it become exactly? Anyone that believes this, I would love to hear the science behind what happens to the water when it's mixed with protein and how your body processes the water differently? What are the new pathways created? Does the water somehow do something magical?

So, I'm curious. Do you count everything you eat and drink as water?? I mean, it all has water in it, right?? So, by your description, it should all count as water ......

I don't count food because while it contains water the exact amount to log would be hard, since the little glass only goes up by cups. I know, for example, milk is about 80% water. I take in a cup and a half (blahblahrounding) and log it as a cup. I drink a 12oz soda, I log it as a cup.

Surprisingly simple.

Soda, coffee, and some teas have caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic and contradicts the hydrating nature of water.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I hear when you add things to water it's no longer water, so eat my powder dry then chase it with water.

Really? How on earth do you swallow the dry powder? :noway:
  • Achrya
    Options

Surprisingly simple.

Soda, coffee, and some teas have caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic and contradicts the hydrating nature of water.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Surprisingly simple.

Incorrect. Caffeine as a diuretic is highly overated, in general it can be considered to have a slight diurectic effect (and in reality it isn't linear but we don't need to go into that) - a cup of strong coffee affects postively the total body water balance.

Also, dietary protein has a higher diuretic effect than the usual consumption of coffee - feel free to drink your 3-4 cups of coffee without significant impact on hydration.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You people count your water ?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So much magical thinking in this thread. Water is water. It doesn't matter if it has powder mixed into it. It's still water.

It will also still be water if you freeze it, pray over it, add carbonation, or even *gasp* steep tea leaves in it.

Heck most of our food has a high water content and that also contributes to hydration requirements. (Fruits and vegetables are 90%+ water) It's not like your body just throws it out because it came shipped inside a cucumber.

If you think that only pure water is useful for your bodies liquid requirements the burden of proof rests with you to prove it, because science and common human experience suggest otherwise.

tumblr_mjzatprBOf1rvez7qo4_r2_250_zpsbb380049.gif

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Options
    I hear when you add things to water it's no longer water, so eat my powder dry then chase it with water.

tumblr_inline_mh96lzPhzc1qz4rgp.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Usually in pellet form.

_49523788_img_0038.jpg
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I hear when you add things to water it's no longer water, so eat my powder dry then chase it with water. That way it counts cause, you see, when you mix it outside of your stomach it's something else, but if it mixes in your stomach it's a-ok. That's why I'm allowed to count the water I have with my quest bar, which I sip after every bite (Because texture) but not the water from my tea.

I bow to your awesome wisdom!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You people count your water ?
    :laugh: I keep it simple - I get thirsty, I drink something wet. Works well for me.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Surprisingly simple.

Incorrect. Caffeine as a diuretic is highly overated, in general it can be considered to have a slight diurectic effect (and in reality it isn't linear but we don't need to go into that) - a cup of strong coffee affects postively the total body water balance.

Also, dietary protein has a higher diuretic effect than the usual consumption of coffee - feel free to drink your 3-4 cups of coffee without significant impact on hydration.

Interesting.
    I have about 8-10 cups of coffee, but I have always considered it to be a significant diuretic, so I increase my water consumption significantly.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Ah, so many theories.... and this is why I don't log water at all. I have a glass sitting on my desk right now, and it won't get logged.

Seriously, do you think that your body knows the difference between, say, eating a bowl of thick soup with a glass of water, and eating a bowl of the same soup that has been made a thinner consistency with water?

If so, my parents are miracles of nature - they're both well into their 80s and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I can never remember seeing either drink a glass of plain and simple water. Amazing. :bigsmile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    FYI all protein sources have water in. A whole chicken is naturally around 60% water, and up to 7% extra can be added in saline solution. Might as well track that too!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Surprisingly simple.

Interesting.
    I have about 8-10 cups of coffee, but I have always considered it to be a significant diuretic, so I increase my water consumption significantly.

That's a lot of coffee a day. Given that you drink 10 cups a day - it's likelier that your lifestyle is more sedentary, etc... than someone who is less of a coffee drinker (don't you love epidemiological studies? - Harvard Cohort - Esther Lopez Garcia was the author, in 2006) - There is a higher risk on health factors due to lifestyle than coffee, per se.

Drinking more water is generally not bad.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Count whatever YOU want! There's no stead fast rule and no one is the boss of your own journey but YOU. 8 glasses/day works for some and not for others... I eat a10+ servings of veggies a day and only drink about 4 straight glasses of water. Never had a problem. Drink herbal teas, protein shakes, and coffee (oh yes - COFFEE! :laugh:) and I've had no trouble staying hydrated and losing weight. Do what makes you feel good, drink before you get too thirsty, try to avoid the sugary stuff, and log whatever you want to count! That's my best advice :happy:

THIS. Personally, I only count actual plain water and decaffeinated teas. If it has caffeine, I don't count it. I very, very rarely drink Crystal Light, Mio, etc but would count that if I drank it.

However, everyone is different. I just know I feel my best when I drink lots of water - for me, about 10 glasses a day. Helps with my migraines :happy:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Why did I have to read this far into this thread to see a sane post?