Male Perspective

Options
2»

Replies

• obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    I think we need to remind ourselves too that AVERAGE is good not only when it comes to our figures but in every aspect when it comes to our appearences. We will never have sexy lips like Julia Roberts or eyes like Angelina Jolie. We need to be happy with who we are. I personally Have had to learn to love every stretch mark, every blemish, every cellulite bump..... and to know i am beautiful even if i dont resemble any sort of model or actress....

I was watching this the other day on youtube and thought it was interesting.... remember also all the pics you see in the magazines are photoshoped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZC7AaNFtc&feature=related
    :noway: wowzers
    thats wow!
    has anyone ever told you you look like this chick, coz i think you do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcFlxSlOKNI

anyway... kudos on the brilliant post sarge!

I look like her???? really?

Thats a really awesome dove video, i have seen it before but it puts things into perspective.... what we see in comercials n stuff isnt reality
    i think you do from your dp, you have bluer eyes than her though
    but other than that, i could swear you are the same person... or is that just me?
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I think we need to remind ourselves too that AVERAGE is good not only when it comes to our figures but in every aspect when it comes to our appearences. We will never have sexy lips like Julia Roberts or eyes like Angelina Jolie. We need to be happy with who we are. I personally Have had to learn to love every stretch mark, every blemish, every cellulite bump..... and to know i am beautiful even if i dont resemble any sort of model or actress....

I was watching this the other day on youtube and thought it was interesting.... remember also all the pics you see in the magazines are photoshoped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZC7AaNFtc&feature=related
    :noway: wowzers
    thats wow!
    has anyone ever told you you look like this chick, coz i think you do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcFlxSlOKNI

anyway... kudos on the brilliant post sarge!

I look like her???? really?

Thats a really awesome dove video, i have seen it before but it puts things into perspective.... what we see in comercials n stuff isnt reality
    i think you do, you have bluer eyes than her though
    but other than that, i could swear you are the same person... or is that just me?

maybe we are the same person... im the overweight version lol ... ill take the compliment thought thanks.... :bigsmile:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    So funny,I just had this conversation with someone today...why do women want to be so thin? I think it's because we are in such competition with other women. Also, we are very critical of ourselves and thus critical of others. I am repulsed by people who are obese. There I said it. I am. This is due mainly out of fear that I'll ever become that out of control. Even though I've struggled with wanting too much of other things in my past, overeating shows. I have been taught by the media that thin is beautiful. I don't want to be thin in order to impress a man, I want to be thinner because I do not want to be put into that category of the typical fat American. Being a healthy weight is a sign of self control, discipline, and "having your **** together." This doesn't mean that all healthy women have their **** together, but in our society appearances are everything. There are assumptions made about all of us based on our looks no matter how we try to deny it. I don't want to be passed up for a job because someone thinks I will sit on the internet all day and stuff cookies in my mouth. Not that all overweight people do this, but like I said, appearances say a lot. I know some people have medical conditions, etc that cause them to gain. But no one asks you that when they first lay eyes on you. The assumption is already there. At the end of the day, I want to feel comfortable with myself. I will never be 5'8 and 135. My body is not meant to do that. But I can be 5'8 and 155 and look fantastic. I'm really trying to get there. Who knows, there will probably be someone who thinks that my goal weight is not thin enough. I don't care. That's what's best for me. I don't mean to offend anyone, that's not my intention, I'm just being painfully honest.

I related to your post!!! I am also 5'8 and my goal weight is 138 - but I've sort of given up on that weight for now - are a few extra pounds going to kill me? I've had a really hard time trying to reach that goal - though I've come pretty close, and for now am just going to try and maintain where I am. I'm sure that lots of people don't think I'm thin enough, but I feel healthy and energetic, so this is me!!!

Good luck reaching your goals - you will make it!!! (and you are looking pretty darn great as your profile pics show!!).
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have known many women who struggle with eating disorders. They mostly stem from two things: body dysmorphia (look it up) and being able to control at least one thing about their life when everything else is out of control. I'm more like my father, the perennial 12-year-old who, when asked if he has an eating disorder, answers affirmatively then shoves food into his forehead.

I have a special message for all you women out there. 99% of all heterosexual men think this woman is disgustingly emaciated. Even if it may offend, I want to drive the point home by saying that she looks like a concentration camp victim, except of course that she's prancing around in a bikini. Observe the look on her face, like she's the ***** of the universe. That kills any attraction for the remaining 1%, who prefer demure pretzel women.

disgusting.jpg

My advice to young ladies who see this picture and think "oh, I am so fat" is this: only about 30% of you are actually fat, according to the statistics I just made up in my own mind. The rest of you are just fine the way you are. You are not in competition with other women. The simple truth is that not every man is attracted to the same kind of woman, or the same look. Some prefer blondes, some brunettes, some redheads or auburn. Some men actually prefer women who are overweight. Many men actually like it when a woman's stomach plumps out a little near the waistline. Perhaps this is a hard-wired biological response akin to being pleased with the look of a pregnant wife.

Not only that, but personality can go a long way. In fact, a good personality and being fun to hang out with are so important to a man that I recommend you switch gears. Instead of starving yourself to death...chill...go with the flow. Realize now that this woman is in a love/hate relationship with her body and do not follow her down the path to becoming a leathery husk of bones.

(taken from nathansbrain.com)

Great post J! Thanks!

To me, this isn't the "ideal" figure that I would try to emulate, however I suppose I don't really have one cookie cutter idea of the "ideal" - there is a range of shapes and sizes that I find pleasing to the eye! My husband definitely prefers my new figure, however he might prefer my increase in confidence and comfort, more that my decrease in size.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Well said by the men of MFP. That is an awesome reminder for us and our daughters that are watching us struggle.