Stupid Stupid Question....

Options
A half a cup of Lite Vanilla Ice Cream is 110 cals, give or take.

A Banana is 110 cals, give or take.

Other than the obvious health benefits of the banana over the ice cream, in terms of weight loss only, is it really as simple as cals in vs cals burned?

Are some cals worse than others from a weight loss perspective?

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'd look at sugar content next....and pick the least sugary one. Oh heck, I dont like bananas, I'd pick ice cream haha.

But anways, no, I personally wouldn't go by calories alone, cause the sugar is what's going to make the difference to me.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Any calorie deficit will cause weight loss. Even if its big macs and fries - although you would probably feel like crap on that diet lol

Sometimes you ahve to allow yourself alittle room to wiggle and enjoy food and life still. But I think if you look at regular ice cream there aren't that many more calories than the lite - if your going to eat ice cream may as well let it be the good stuff =} Within reason of course.
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    That's exactly how I work it, I'd personally go for the ice-cream (I despise Bananas :sick: )
    lol
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Other than the obvious health benefits of the banana over the ice cream, in terms of weight loss only, is it really as simple as cals in vs cals burned?

It really depends on where you are relative to your goals. If you have a lot of fat still to lose, calories in vs calories out is the simplest method to follow and will still allow you to see relatively the same results. Maybe even better results because of the psychological benefits of allowing yourself to indulge in the ice cream now and then. However if you are approaching your goal with only a few pounds to go, you will need to pay closer attention than calories in vs calories out and start evaluating sugar and macronutrient content.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Nutritionally the banana is better for you. If you have better nutrition you have better health. But better nutrition comes from a complete nutiritional diet. You couldn't be healthy living off of just bananas, just like you couldn't be healthy living off of just ice cream.

Then you have the whole, sugar calories turn to fat and effect insulin levels, protein calories help build muscle. Good carb calories, bad carb calories, good fat calories, bad fat calories etc.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    ooh I would say this there is some perfectly yummy lite vanilla icecream that has less calories than the banana (we have some in belgium that is 78 per half cup) and cool whip (which we don't have in belgium : () cand be a great ice cream substitue for less calories even- on the balance choose the banana more often but splurge for the icecream occasionally
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

It really depends on where you are relative to your goals. If you have a lot of fat still to lose, calories in vs calories out is the simplest method to follow and will still allow you to see relatively the same results. Maybe even better results because of the psychological benefits of allowing yourself to indulge in the ice cream now and then. However if you are approaching your goal with only a few pounds to go, you will need to pay closer attention than calories in vs calories out and start evaluating sugar and macronutrient content.

I agree. If I'm craving something I eat it. Depriving yourself may cause you to binge later going way over the half cup you'd eat right nwo while you still have control over the craving. I lost 50 lbs, and I never cut anything from my diet, including mudslides (love) and chicken fingers.

Now that I so close to my goal I have to be more careful.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    a professor of nutrition asked the same question and went on a twinkie diet
    ate 1800 kcals a day mostly in twinkies and supplemented with vitamins and veg
    he lost 27lb his good fats incresaed by 20% and bad fats decreased by 20%
    make of that what you will
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat my icecream at least twice a week. I need my sugary fixes! I manage to keep within m cals each day but on days I have my treats, I do more exercise. Healthy calories do more good in the long run as they take longer to digest, fill you up longer, nutritional value,.... but sometimes you just need to have your treat and keep it small, rather than not have it and then one day eat the entire half gallon of ice cream!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's ok to indulge once in awhile, but just don't let it be a habit. The ice cream is not good for you- don't try to trick yourself by saying it has calcium... if it is "light" then it also has tons of artificial sweeteners, preservatives and other junk. The banana has vitamins. Obviusly the banana is a better choice, but you also have to be able to enjoy life.

Personally, I make frozen yogurt for those times that need a treat. Low fat yogurt and very ripe fruit and an ice cream maker (about $40). SO much better for you.

Beware 'light' products, especailly with dairy.You would be suprised how many packages of 'ice cream' actually are not dairy at all.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Id go for the ice cream unless you want the banana.I think we have to allow some of our favorite foods in our diet,within limits.If not I think,for me,I crave them more and tend to over do it if I get the chance.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ooh I would say this there is some perfectly yummy lite vanilla icecream that has less calories than the banana (we have some in belgium that is 78 per half cup) and cool whip (which we don't have in belgium : () cand be a great ice cream substitue for less calories even- on the balance choose the banana more often but splurge for the icecream occasionally

Yuk. Sorry but I would not eat Cool Whip if you paid me. Take a look at the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS:
    WATER, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, SODIUM
    POLYPHOSPHATES, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).

This is similar to "edible oil topping" as it's called in the baking industry. That disgusting non-dairy whipped topping that leaves a film of oil on the roof of your mouth.
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

It's not a stupid question. It's a great question.

It depends on your goals. If it's purely weight loss then they amount to the same. If it is changing body composition (in other words the amount of body fat you have in relation to your fat free / lean body mass) and general health then the banana is the way forwards.

In reality you can incorporate both into your diet and do very well.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    a professor of nutrition asked the same question and went on a twinkie diet
    ate 1800 kcals a day mostly in twinkies and supplemented with vitamins and veg
    he lost 27lb his good fats incresaed by 20% and bad fats decreased by 20%
    make of that what you will

This is a manipulation of the truth for the sole purpose of sensationalism. He didn't eat ONLY twinkies or junk, he also had protein supplements, vitamin supplements, and vegetables. So first, this proves nothing. Second, he only did this for 10 weeks, I.E. 2 and a half months. A short period of time for a human to be on a food source, not significant enough to outline long term health changes. Third, we don't know what his diet was like before, who's to say he wasn't already eating these types of foods before hand, and just slightly increased the amount, it wouldn't surprise me. He was at 33.5% body fat when he started the experiment, for men (women are different), that's well into the obese category, so he obviously wasn't being healthy (side note: for a nutrition professor to be at 33.5% body fat is horrifying IMHO, how can you presume to teach others about nutrition and/or health and be living this unhealthy? That's like an active alcoholic mediating an AA class.), and last, this was barely an experiment at all, no control group, no outside observer dictating the study, very little follow up and pre-test methodology...etc.

Guys, I implore you to be very cautious in perpetuating these kind of stories, if you're going to do it, do the research first and give all sides to the story, don't just say "a nutrition professor ate twinkies for 10 weeks and lost 30 lbs" or what ever. Heck, I could amputate my leg and lose 40 lbs, that doesn't make it GOOD for me. That's all I'm saying.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    question has been answered now but I would have said banana vs ice cream vs grilled fish for equal calories :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Heck, I could amputate my leg and lose 40 lbs, that doesn't make it GOOD for me. That's all I'm saying.

HAHA. When people ask me about weight loss (instead of fat loss), I always tell them they could cut their leg off and instantly achieve their weight goals.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Heck, I could amputate my leg and lose 40 lbs, that doesn't make it GOOD for me. That's all I'm saying.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'd have both in banana split :-)

Seriously though, from a pure energy point of view, they'd be the same. But there's more to being healthy than being lighter.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options

It's not a stupid question. It's a great question.

It depends on your goals. If it's purely weight loss then they amount to the same. If it is changing body composition (in other words the amount of body fat you have in relation to your fat free / lean body mass) and general health then the banana is the way forwards.

In reality you can incorporate both into your diet and do very well.

Amen. Good answer (as usual). :)