Bumping, for later =)
  • Wanda66
    Wanda66 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    This is some good information so I thought I would bump this topic.
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    Awesome post, Thanks!
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I read it all - and I couldn't agree more. It's just hard "grasp", with all of the scales around as a constant reminder it's easy to forget, as mentioned! Thanks!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    love this
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    e8dcaec9.jpg

This pic says it all! Who do you think weighs more? Who do you think is healthier and has a lower percent body fat! It's pretty clear!

This picture says nothing! For what kind of performance? I'd be willing to bet my hat that the man on the left is a distance runner and the man on the right is a sprinter: the two require different types of training (and both have different body types, to boot).

I'd also be willing to bet that both have very low body fat.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    e8dcaec9.jpg

This pic says it all! Who do you think weighs more? Who do you think is healthier and has a lower percent body fat! It's pretty clear!

Actually, the guy on the left is probably just as low BF as the sprinter on the right. The difference is muscle mass.

yep, you are probably right. that is why I (as a girl) "look fat" in clothes with only a 20.6% BF percentage. Muscle mass still takes up room. but it looks better naked.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Love the article! It took me a good while to change my thinking to what you described! Here's my question, though. How in the world do I acurately figure my body fat percentage?

There are calculators on the internet that can provide a pretty good estimate. An accurate composition can be best received by having somebody (maybe at the gym) do an assessment on you using calipers or some of the newer sonar devices. All that being said, the scale is not totally evil.. It is PART of the equation of body fat analysis... It is interesting that I would say ALL NFL players are at least overweight and most (particularly linemen) would be considered "OBESE" using the standards of the "BMI"... Are they really unhealthy? Very unlikely. However, they do meet the official definition... The best looking male photo of a 6' 3" man I have found (no, I am NOT gay--no offense intended -- ... just trying to get an image in my head for what I am going for... ) is one who is 225 lbs (a full 25 lbs overweight according to BMI standards)... yet, his weight is most definitely due to muscle mass... I say that to say.. there is much truth to this article... It is the end result that we are looking for.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think Kristin Cavallari (from The Hills) is [was] super cute...until she decided to lose 15 pounds...you be the judge, is skinny better?

Kristin-Cavallari-Before-and-After.jpg

she didn't need to lose anything! why did she do that? but deep down i still think she looks good skinny...that's just the crazy mental case in my brain talking.

She was already "skinny", and she seems to have lost her boobs after that next 15 pounds.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this, is jsut what i needed. The scales haven't moved in months and was starting to get real done about it. However i feel better, and way fitter healthier, clothes are either too big or fit now, have gone down in clothes sizes and have lots of people comment on how much i have lor or how good i look. I feel alot more motivated and better about what am doing .
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i think your best tool is the mirror :) if you're happy with yourself, skrew all the expensive tests and scales.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great post!! :)
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump, to read later, thanks :happy:
  • itsmethao
    itsmethao Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome read from 2011! This was just what I needed to remind me that I was heading in the right direction towards my goals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I can't read that wall of text .. it's odd .. I've tried and my eyes just glaze over

There are no cliffs .. but I assume it boils down to this

Weight on scale doesn't matter .. cos muscles and less body fat is what makes you high and tight

a46378e79756000773fcee9ba88143012390.jpg
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i think your best tool is the mirror :) if you're happy with yourself, skrew all the expensive tests and scales.

i agree with this.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I can't read that wall of text .. it's odd .. I've tried and my eyes just glaze over

There are no cliffs .. but I assume it boils down to this

Weight on scale doesn't matter .. cos muscles and less body fat is what makes you high and tight

a46378e79756000773fcee9ba88143012390.jpg

i really like this visual. if you can reach the third picture whilst weighing more, job well done.