GAINED 10 POUNDS???

Options

Replies

• Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You can put on tens of pounds of fat from nuts and fruits! Are you measuring (weighing) and counting your calories or just expecting that eating so called "health" items will do the trick? My pat question to posts like this is: "Are you measuring EVERYTHING that passes your lips and are you accurately determining your calorie burn?"
    Don't get discouraged. Get a systematic approach so you are not fooling yourself. You CAN do this

Good luck!

I am definitely logging everything, and paying a lot of attention to ingredients. I think that's why I'm so frustrated - because I didn't cheat, but the scale is treating me like I did. I'll bet the calorie burn isn't accurate, though. I just put in the exercise and let MFP tell me how many. So, I'll bet that's something I need to consider. Thank you!!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    A simple thing i tried was dropping my calories for the day to 1200...I saw that u had 1500. And bring on lotsa water!! Whatever u do...don't give up! :flowerforyou: You could add me if you'd like and we could get thru this together!

It actually just bumped me up to 1500 because I changed my weight! But I think I'll try to average 1200 anyway and see what happens. No problem with the water - I love it!! Thank you!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    don't be discouraged just keep pushing on.

Thank you! I'll try!!
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    From what you've said, you're treating your scale like it can reward or punish you. It's not a person; it's measurement device. If it's telling you that you've gained weight, then it's something that falls back on you, not the scale. Just be accountable in all your actions and you'll find your measurements going down.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You can put on tens of pounds of fat from nuts and fruits! Are you measuring (weighing) and counting your calories or just expecting that eating so called "health" items will do the trick? My pat question to posts like this is: "Are you measuring EVERYTHING that passes your lips and are you accurately determining your calorie burn?"
    Don't get discouraged. Get a systematic approach so you are not fooling yourself. You CAN do this

Good luck!

I am definitely logging everything, and paying a lot of attention to ingredients. I think that's why I'm so frustrated - because I didn't cheat, but the scale is treating me like I did. I'll bet the calorie burn isn't accurate, though. I just put in the exercise and let MFP tell me how many. So, I'll bet that's something I need to consider. Thank you!!
    Get a HRM that will give you an accurate reading of how many calories you are actually burning!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I can't say more than everyone else has aleady said, but i understand your frustration for sure! I agree with everyone- weigh and measure everything- write it all down- every single bite- drink lots and lots of water...get a Heart rate monitor to determine calories burned- if you can really tune in strictly to what you are doing, you might find the answer. Stay strong and keep going. We've all been there and the trick is to not give up.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    So, it turns out almost everyone at my job has gained weight since they started. I was complaining to my co-workers, and they all said that it's really stressful here and there's a lot of free junk food. I pointed out that I've been ignoring most of the junk food, and only having little bits here and there. HOWEVER, it did get me thinking - I've been working here two months, and all I do is SIT. I sit for an hour each way on the train. I sit for 8 hours at my desk. Even though I'm walking as much as possible on breaks and to and from the train, that's still a ton of sitting. I'll bet that has something to do with it. It's quite possible that I'm doing so much sitting that, if I hadn't been eating mostly good stuff, I would have gained a ton more and it would have all been fat.

In conclusion, Swayne needs to start moving more at work, and working out aerobically after work. I still think my body's being unfair, but it's kinda always been a jerk about stuff. Time to kick it into high gear, as the kids say.

Thank you, everyone!!
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    Your calorie range is close to 1700-1900 every day. That's pretty high! Also, a lot of what you eat isn't "that" great. You seem to get a good amount of nuts and good fats, but hardly any raw veggies. Also there's a ton of things like a 500 calorie coffee or a piece of pie AND a big amount of bread in one meal. I would definitely suggest cutting down your calories and carbs.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    From what you've said, you're treating your scale like it can reward or punish you. It's not a person; it's measurement device. If it's telling you that you've gained weight, then it's something that falls back on you, not the scale. Just be accountable in all your actions and you'll find your measurements going down.

Personifying the scale was just me being quirky - I know it's accurate because I put weights on it to check. My concern is that I HAVE been accountable. I've made a whole lifestyle change. But instead of seeing positive results, I somehow gained weight. The point isn't that I hate my scale, it's that something went awry with my attempt and I'm trying to figure that out. Thanks!!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options

Good luck!

Get a HRM that will give you an accurate reading of how many calories you are actually burning!

I was thinking about investing in one of those! I hear they're expensive, but totally worth it. Think I'll bump that to the top of the list. Thanks!!
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would just like to commend you on your great attitude! People replied with tips or ideas and you thoughtfully replied to each one in a positive way. I like that! I struggle with the scale, too so my current goal is to have my jeans get looser!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    I can't say more than everyone else has aleady said, but i understand your frustration for sure! I agree with everyone- weigh and measure everything- write it all down- every single bite- drink lots and lots of water...get a Heart rate monitor to determine calories burned- if you can really tune in strictly to what you are doing, you might find the answer. Stay strong and keep going. We've all been there and the trick is to not give up.

Thank you! The heart rate monitor is sounding like a great idea! Thanks!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Your calorie range is close to 1700-1900 every day. That's pretty high! Also, a lot of what you eat isn't "that" great. You seem to get a good amount of nuts and good fats, but hardly any raw veggies. Also there's a ton of things like a 500 calorie coffee or a piece of pie AND a big amount of bread in one meal. I would definitely suggest cutting down your calories and carbs.

I was thinking about adding more veggies. I thought I had been consuming a lot (especially compared to what I used to eat) - at least one serving each of tomatoes, romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, etc. I also cut way down on the fruit because the sugar in it made me feel wonky. Yeah, the coffees were killing me - I had no idea they were so high in calories. So, I've cut back on those too. Thanks, I think I'll try adding even more vegetables and see how that helps. Thanks!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    I would just like to commend you on your great attitude! People replied with tips or ideas and you thoughtfully replied to each one in a positive way. I like that! I struggle with the scale, too so my current goal is to have my jeans get looser!

Thank you! I am definitely not talking to my scale for several weeks. You're right - I'm going to focus on my clothes and measurements, and nothing else for now. Thanks!
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options

I was thinking about adding more veggies. I thought I had been consuming a lot (especially compared to what I used to eat) - at least one serving each of tomatoes, romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, etc. I also cut way down on the fruit because the sugar in it made me feel wonky. Yeah, the coffees were killing me - I had no idea they were so high in calories. So, I've cut back on those too. Thanks, I think I'll try adding even more vegetables and see how that helps. Thanks!

Good! Also, being able to really see a difference is sometimes more rewarding than a scale change. Make sure you are measuring yourself every month or so! You can definitely lose inches without the scale budging. Plus, it'll remind you that you're NOT crazy!
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium levels (switch your food diary columns for a week or two). Normally, I'd say if you are eating a lot of fruit and veg, then the potassium would take care of the sodium and you wouldn't have water retention, but worth a look.

I did find a few websites that indicate 10lbs of water weight gain are possible. I know I've read things in the past that say even more is possible. You could try and get your body fat measured. You can buy handheld scales for $30. Or just get some cheaper skin fold calipers.

Keep up the investigation! We are all different. You'll figure it out.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you havent been measuring yourself, I would definately start doing that,,,you can add any body part on here that you want. I measure my chest, waist, hips, upper arms, and thigh.....I had to start doing this cuz it seemed like my scalre wasnt moving, but I thought I was feeling better, although not at a range to really make a difference in my clothes. come to find out, I have lost 7.5 inches with the scale barely budging. I know , so hard to not see that number move, wonder why we are so hooked on numbers,,,anyways, just keep chugging along, you've gotten alot of different ideas of things to tweek, just remember, change something and wait about 3 weeks for your body to catch up,,,,takes time and patience,,Iknow something we dont always want to wait on.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
    WE ALL CAN!!!!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Check your sodium levels (switch your food diary columns for a week or two). Normally, I'd say if you are eating a lot of fruit and veg, then the potassium would take care of the sodium and you wouldn't have water retention, but worth a look.

I did find a few websites that indicate 10lbs of water weight gain are possible. I know I've read things in the past that say even more is possible. You could try and get your body fat measured. You can buy handheld scales for $30. Or just get some cheaper skin fold calipers.

Keep up the investigation! We are all different. You'll figure it out.

Thank you! It makes me feel better that at least some of the weight could be water retention. Though I do drink quite a bit, so I'm not sure I'd be holding onto any. But bodies are weird so who knows? Thanks!!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    If you havent been measuring yourself, I would definately start doing that,,,you can add any body part on here that you want. I measure my chest, waist, hips, upper arms, and thigh.....I had to start doing this cuz it seemed like my scalre wasnt moving, but I thought I was feeling better, although not at a range to really make a difference in my clothes. come to find out, I have lost 7.5 inches with the scale barely budging. I know , so hard to not see that number move, wonder why we are so hooked on numbers,,,anyways, just keep chugging along, you've gotten alot of different ideas of things to tweek, just remember, change something and wait about 3 weeks for your body to catch up,,,,takes time and patience,,Iknow something we dont always want to wait on.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
    WE ALL CAN!!!!

Ooo! I'm going to take my first measurements tonight! I forgot I actually have one of those ribbony measure thingies for sewing and stuff. That's a great tip - thank you!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options

Good! Also, being able to really see a difference is sometimes more rewarding than a scale change. Make sure you are measuring yourself every month or so! You can definitely lose inches without the scale budging. Plus, it'll remind you that you're NOT crazy!

Thank you! I just logged my first measurements, so we'll see how that goes.