Disgusted

Options
So I have been reading through some of the topics that people have posted and I am disgusted! I thought this site was supposed to be about supporting each other and encouraging one another - but that is not the case from what I have been reading. It really makes me mad to see some of the replies to questions people ask and how harsh and rude others on here can be. We are all here for a reason and that does not include being put down by others or to be made to feel bad for asking a question or posting a thought.....I think we all need to take a minute and take a look at ourselves before we are so quick to judge others.

Replies

• redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    Agreed, everyone on here seems to be judgemental!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Like you're judging everyone you're posting about?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :wink:

I do know what you mean--sometimes people are unneccessarily harsh or cruel in their responses.
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options

And for what?! Just makes me want to go and eat more not lose more. Quite the opposite of what this website is supposed to represent.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Like you're judging everyone you're posting about?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :wink:

Maybe I am judging them and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but not at the expense of others. Do you really think it's helping others to put them down? For waht - to make yourself feel better?? Doesn't make any sense to me....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    There are forum moderators here. You can always click on 'report post' if you feel like someone is being attacked.
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of us are just hungry and crabby. Thank you for the reminder :)
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    "If you propose to speak (in this case.. type), Always ask yourself, is it true, is it neccessary, is it kind" - Buddha

Words I try to live be. Just saying.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I guess I have stayed sheltered but I believe you because this is the second time today I have read something like this and the third or fourth time since I have been a member. That is awful and I don't understand why people are the way they are. Where are the moderators and why are these posts not reported and removed??
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just like society - there are some negative and some positive people. Yes, this site's intent is for support, but it is also free and tries to cater to everyone. That means that there will be a mix of people on here. I tend to ignore the negative, and listen to the positive, but that's a personal life out-look.

I know the OP didn't say "everyone", but that kind of generalization discourages others. I, for one, do my best to support any and every one on here... even if I don't agree with everything they say/do, I try to be a positive influence. I would suggest we all try to do that.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    There are forum moderators here. You can always click on 'report post' if you feel like someone is being attacked.

Did not know that - thanks!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    "Maybe some of us are just hungry and crabby. Thank you for the reminder :)"

HEHE! Always love a sense of humor!
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options

And for what?! Just makes me want to go and eat more not lose more. Quite the opposite of what this website is supposed to represent.

Most of what bothers me are those who think their way is the 'only' way. They get really cruel when someone asks a question or supports something that they don't. Everyone's body works differently, so who are they to say that everybody should do what they do?
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Just like society - there are some negative and some positive people. Yes, this site's intent is for support, but it is also free and tries to cater to everyone. That means that there will be a mix of people on here. I tend to ignore the negative, and listen to the positive, but that's a personal life out-look.

I know the OP didn't say "everyone", but that kind of generalization discourages others. I, for one, do my best to support any and every one on here... even if I don't agree with everything they say/do, I try to be a positive influence. I would suggest we all try to do that.

I should not have said everyone bc you are right - not everyone on here is negative. Thank you!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, all forums of this type can be difficult. Any subject that is high on emotion and fairly low on facts turns nasty at times because everyone is SURE they are correct! Parenting, pets, weight loss, dating, pregnancy, etc.--same phenomenon in all of them.

It's always good to remind folks to re-read before hitting the submit button.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I guess I must read the wrong posts, lol... I've been here just over a month and haven't seen too much of that. Better for me, I guess... lol
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    On a serious note, all forums of this type can be difficult. Any subject that is high on emotion and fairly low on facts turns nasty at times because everyone is SURE they are correct! Parenting, pets, weight loss, dating--same phenomenon in all of them.

Agreed! We all have different opinions and thoughts and we are definitely entitled to them. I just don't like to see people being rude or harsh to others....maybe I am just too sensitive! :laugh:
  • KayLeigh6710
    Options
    I don't see many negative posts at all... you must be looking in some not so great places!! A LOT OF THE PEOPLE ON HERE ARE VERY NICE AND ENCOURAGING....

I wish you luck in finding good supporting friends on this site... add me if you like!

And good luck with your weight loss..
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I've seen a few 'not so nice' posts - but actually I've been very impressed overall with how friendly and welcoming this site is!!

When I compare it to some other forums I have been on in the past this one is amazingly positive! Obviously you always get the odd 'disagreement' and people not accepting that their way isn't the only way but overall I find MFP a lovely place to be!

(..... creators of MFP: I accept paypal, cheques, postal orders, even cash)
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I don't see many negative posts at all... you must be looking in some not so great places!! A LOT OF THE PEOPLE ON HERE ARE VERY NICE AND ENCOURAGING....

I wish you luck in finding good supporting friends on this site... add me if you like!

And good luck with your weight loss..

Thank you!!!!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, posts like yours generally have very little effect on the behavior of others on the board. Either you end up preaching to the choir, or some unhappy person will come at you with the very kind of negative comment you are referring to in the first place.

You just need to distance yourself from these people, and not take what they say to heart. One of the great things about the friendships on this site is that you can discontinue toxic ones without the worry of seeing that person IRL. Hold close only those people you find to be supportive - and believe me, there are a good many supportive peeps on the MFP!:drinker: