Positive Thinking

Options
I notice a lot of people, myself included, often seem to be in such a hurry to lose the extra weight that we ultimately sabotage ourselves with negativity disguised as motivation.

I'd rather be positively motivated than negatively motivated. I don't want fear to drive me. I don't want shame to drive me, like the way I DID feel knowing that I'd have to wear a tux for a wedding this past weekend, as a groomsman. That fear of how others would see me, and shame for how I looked, didn't actually help me lose any weight.

Seems like the only time I actually lose weight and keep it off is if I both track what I eat and I eliminate the negative motivation. We weren't meant to live our lives obsessing over the calorie content, etc and then guilt-tripping any time we went over.

As I sat at the wedding table at the reception, feeling quite large in my ill-fitting tux, I looked over at my friend with (as he told me) 11% body fat and three times the amount of food. He had zero guilt about chowing down, and rightly so, because he is always an active guy. That's how I think we are meant to live. Enjoying life and also enjoying food--and if we want to eat a lot of it, then we must also be very active people, no guilt is needed.

So, being one to love food, I want to become more active with fun things to do, like disc golf or hiking, not gym trips where I obsess over whether I've burned enough calories to justify having an ice cream sundae.

I think we can shift our thinking, given practice. That's what I'm aiming for. How about you?

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot of people, myself included, often seem to be in such a hurry to lose the extra weight that we ultimately sabotage ourselves with negativity disguised as motivation.

I'd rather be positively motivated than negatively motivated. I don't want fear to drive me. I don't want shame to drive me, like the way I DID feel knowing that I'd have to wear a tux for a wedding this past weekend, as a groomsman. That fear of how others would see me, and shame for how I looked, didn't actually help me lose any weight.

Seems like the only time I actually lose weight and keep it off is if I both track what I eat and I eliminate the negative motivation. We weren't meant to live our lives obsessing over the calorie content, etc and then guilt-tripping any time we went over.

As I sat at the wedding table at the reception, feeling quite large in my ill-fitting tux, I looked over at my friend with (as he told me) 11% body fat and three times the amount of food. He had zero guilt about chowing down, and rightly so, because he is always an active guy. That's how I think we are meant to live. Enjoying life and also enjoying food--and if we want to eat a lot of it, then we must also be very active people, no guilt is needed.

So, being one to love food, I want to become more active with fun things to do, like disc golf or hiking, not gym trips where I obsess over whether I've burned enough calories to justify having an ice cream sundae.

I think we can shift our thinking, given practice. That's what I'm aiming for. How about you?
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you!!! Good post!!

jackie
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options

Right on.

thumbsupag3.jpg
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    You are exactly right.

Love the sleazy dude next to the saguaro Sgtinvincible.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    lol~love the pic!

I totally agree. Before I never had to worry about what I ate and I did so many different types of activities. It is all a mind thing, and how you think about yourself and what you need to do to change yourself to what you want. I am on a mission to change my life back to the way it was. Unfotunatly I do feel like I am rushed, but somehow that helps me. I have noticed that the harder I am on myself, not in a mean way, but in a motivating goal oriented way, the better I do.