YOU AREN'T EATING????

Options
Today we had a lunch catered in for our office. I knew it was coming, but I didn't know what they would have so I didn't plan it into my meal plan today. It's usually a heavy pasta and bread, so I decided I would pack a lunch and eat it after the catered luncheon.

Well, I wasn't expecting so many remarks from my coworkers. "You aren't eating???? Why aren't you eating??? Are you on a diet or something?? Can't you have just a little??"

Ugh. :grumble: They were all looking at me for an explanation. Why does it matter? What's the big deal? I can pass on a catered luncheon and the world will not come to an end.

Does anyone ever had this happen? How did you handle it?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I sadly used to be one of those people to try and force others to eat. Terrible, I know. If only I knew then what I know now. :(
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Try: "My stomach was feeling a little funny (they don't have to know that funny = jiggly...), so I decided to skip the luncheon food and bring a few things I know won't make it feel worse."
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I hate that. That happens all the time. All I gotta say is b*tches be trippin....
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    annabelle23...That's a really good idea, I think I'll have to steal that one :)
  • Mistykelly
    Mistykelly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not exactly but kind of.... My family is very competitive and if you are on a diet when we have a family gathering and someone notices they make a big deal of it.... So I pick the very lightest thing available, and put on my plate that as well as others I have no intentions of eating and pick at the healthiest thing. Usually we have a salad so it works pretty well. Either that or I tell them I am not feeling very well... they tend to leave me alone after that! Good luck!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Has happened to me many times. Even this weekend at one of my fiance's family functions, I didn't have a piece of cake and his mother got all on my case about, "oh, you should have a piece. just a tiny one. you aren't on a diet are you" and blah blah blah.

I just try to politely communicate that I just make my food choices based on how I'm gonna feel afterward, and that thank you, but I'm fine without whatever is offered that I don't want.

People are the worst when there're lots of sweets around and are baffled by my abstaining from sugar...
  • Whitneylol
    Whitneylol Posts: 244
    Options
    I always just say "I'm not hungry, thanks!'' if that doesn't work, gross them out and make them regret asking by saying 'yeah, I've got a stomach thing going on...'

Diarrhea and puke will make people shutup :)
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've had it happen more times than I can count. My usual response is that " i forgot about the luncheon and brought my own." or I tell them, " this really isnt what I'm in the mood for to eat, I'll justeat what i brought, but thanks anyway." In my opinion it's nobodies business what is going on in your life, etc unless you want them to know.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight the year I worked in a cubicle-type office. People acted like they were starving to death but we were all lumps. Such a strange culture. Employers really ought to be more health conscious. Shift the attitude a bit.

Good for you for abstaining!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Ya happens all the time
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    it's a shame that when businesses do cater a meal that way they don't plan for something that has some choices for everyone rather than a rather limited selection of a high calorie/fat/carb/sodium meal, or nothing :(
    in this day and age, you would think that was a no-brainer plan.
  • jmw530
    jmw530 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue for tomorrow. I plan on bringing my lunch in case there's nothing I can eat. At minimun I will eat salad and fruit if it's offered. I hope to stay away from the bread and cake.
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Yes! I has happened to me and its horrible to try to justify yourself to everyone. In a way, I feel it is rude of people to question, it is obvious that if you don't eat the office food, you have another plans.
    I would just reply "yes I'm on a diet" and walk away, did not want to be pressured to eat and mess up my goal.
    Good luck to you! And don't take it personal, just walk away! :flowerforyou:
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Eating is *such* a personal thing--I don't understand why people care about what goes into someone else's body! You could be on a diet, but you could also have a food allergy, an intolerance, you may not like the food, you could have an upset stomach...the list goes on and on! lol. I absolutely hate when people comment on my eating habits. Be strong and forget what they say! It's not their business! :-)
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I usually plan for a little extra working out and go ahead and eat a little bit, but more like a snack portion instead of a full on meal. However, I feel like it's everyone's business what they choose to eat and when, and I hate the idea of group gorges for the exact reason you just experienced. Why should anyone try to make you feel guilty for not partaking? I think it's because people have their own demons with food and watching you face yours makes them feel bad for not facing theirs. Stand tall!

P.S. I hate that they never have anything healthy at these things too, and if they do it's a tiny little salad or fruit platter.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think people do this because then they have to ask them selfs "well should i be eating this?"
    If everyone is eating it it is ok but when someone says no to it we think about it.
    Good on you. Do what is best for you not other people :smile:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people get all offended if you don't eat the food. Maybe they want everyone to eat so they don't feel bad for eating?

I normally just say it doesn't look good to me. LOL Let them think I'm a snooty betch, I don't care.
  • mom2threeQTs
    mom2threeQTs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just say, "I'm not feeling too hungry right now". Or "I already had lunch". If you are hungry, you can always grab some veggies or something healthy (but only a little) and then eat it really slow. No one will pay attention to *how much* you are eating.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Try: "My stomach was feeling a little funny (they don't have to know that funny = jiggly...), so I decided to skip the luncheon food and bring a few things I know won't make it feel worse."

I love it!
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    tell them to mind their own business. i get very snarky with food-pushers! they'll say anything to get you to eat :(

good for you for bringing a healthy homemade lunch to eat after the catered meal was over!! that's what i would do, too.