MFP Runner's Club - August 11

2»

Replies

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    More of a walk than a run today, 2.25 in 30 minutes and then Body Pump this afternoon! Off to a work meeting and a massage, haven't had a massage in years I can't wait!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Trish,

13 days till your race, you feel ready?? :smile:

(You'll kick @$$, I just know it!!!) :drinker:

Check out Shannon - looking at the ticker!! :laugh:

I do feel ready actually - I have done 10miles three times now with no problems. My only concern now is the crowd - this is a very big race and it is very competitve. I want to be considerate of others as a newbie but not get so wrapped up in it that I run a bad time.

There will be 5500 runners, have you (or anyone reading this!) ever run a race with that many before? I am used to 200 person races!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I went running this weekend just out and about and ran for 1 hour straight which I was proud of.....but I have to confess it wasnt totally 1hour without stopping. I had to stop and use the bathroom behind a bush in someones front yard!!!

Does this happen to you guys and what do you do to help prevent this??? I was afraid someone was going to come out and yell at me because I was in the most historical neighborhood in Asheville near the Grove Park Inn! yikes....

Other than that all went well.

I ahve decided to run my first 10K in April in SC- Anyone out there who wants to join in- I'd love to see you there. I know it is a while away but it gives me focus and motivation to keep up the distances.

Oh and it is called the Cooper River Run- over the bridge in Charleston. And I can just go to the bathroom over the side if I need to I guess!! ha

have a good Monday!

The Runners Runs! - very, very common.

I carry toilet paper with me on every run but so far have not had to use it! Last year my friend didn't stop - just let it all out while running! I did read on Runnersworld.com that many women wear a tampon while running. I am definitely going to try this.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    No run today, did a core synergestics routine. Let me tell, you those muscles were screaming!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Way to go everyone! We are kicking butt! I can't believe how well this thread is doing. We have not slacked off at all in months!! Runners are so dedicated! :drinker: :drinker:

To those questioning my hearing loss. I've never mentioned it before. It's only in my left ear and it happened about a year ago but due to me being sick so much during the winter, I had to keep pushing my appointments.
    Anyhow, looks like my hearing loss is permanent. It not really bad, it kind of feels like my ear are plugged up with wax (gross I know). So, the next step is to make sure I don't have a tumor in my head. Tumors can cause sudden hearing loss and although the odds are like 1 in 120,000, we still have to make sure I don't have one. It's a little scary but I'm sure I'm okay.
    My tumor test is at the end of September and I'm guessing they will call me right away if they find one.

Have a great day all! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Okay - so ummm put a ummmm tampon where?? And if it's where I think, I don't know if I am comfortable with that. :laugh:

I have had to stop in the middle of my run for whatever is necessary... I don't know how to NOT do this but I have read to increase salt a little to help retain water - thinking that would help on one end and the Tums trick that Shannon mentioned for the other end.

Good Luck.

Interesting posts today!

I did strength and stretch today for about 60min feeling great!! :happy:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    I went running this weekend just out and about and ran for 1 hour straight which I was proud of.....but I have to confess it wasnt totally 1hour without stopping. I had to stop and use the bathroom behind a bush in someones front yard!!!

Does this happen to you guys and what do you do to help prevent this??? I was afraid someone was going to come out and yell at me because I was in the most historical neighborhood in Asheville near the Grove Park Inn! yikes....

Other than that all went well.

I ahve decided to run my first 10K in April in SC- Anyone out there who wants to join in- I'd love to see you there. I know it is a while away but it gives me focus and motivation to keep up the distances.

Oh and it is called the Cooper River Run- over the bridge in Charleston. And I can just go to the bathroom over the side if I need to I guess!! ha

have a good Monday!

Can I say I LOVED Ashevill when I lived there.. really did and think that would have been such a sight at the Grove Park Inn!! haha.

Secondly, my sis lives in Charlotte, NC so maybe I could tie a visit with her and the race.. I'll look into it never know - depends on a bunch of things.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    best of luck Mireille!!!! praying its all fine...I'm sure it is hon....big hugs!!!

Have fun Shannon!!! yes wear your block girl and don't drink the pool water!:drinker: :wink:

Lina, you'll be feeling amazing today girl!!! go rock that treadmill!!!

PAM!!!!!!!!!!!! girl I was thinking about you the other day and got side tracked...was gonna message you...so glad you're back and hope you feel better soon!!!

Banks, its icky today huh?! Its good running weather though....too bad I'm at work til 6 ish...I won't run at night anymore...maybe I'll do a turbo jam....wanna come run w/ me! lol....

well my lunch is over...so I'll be back later to post more...but for right now awesome job you guys....we have some hard core athletes here woot woot!:drinker:
    hugs!!
    Ali
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Way to go everyone! We are kicking butt! I can't believe how well this thread is doing. We have not slacked off at all in months!! Runners are so dedicated! :drinker: :drinker:

To those questioning my hearing loss. I've never mentioned it before. It's only in my left ear and it happened about a year ago but due to me being sick so much during the winter, I had to keep pushing my appointments.
    Anyhow, looks like my hearing loss is permanent. It not really bad, it kind of feels like my ear are plugged up with wax (gross I know). So, the next step is to make sure I don't have a tumor in my head. Tumors can cause sudden hearing loss and although the odds are like 1 in 120,000, we still have to make sure I don't have one. It's a little scary but I'm sure I'm okay.
    My tumor test is at the end of September and I'm guessing they will call me right away if they find one.

Have a great day all! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I pray that all is well ((hugs))

Okay ladies and gents, I just got back from my jog and I did 3.02 miles in 45 minutes. I walked 2 minutes, jogged 8 minutes for 40 minutes and then did a 5 minute cooldown. It's my best timing so far. I hope I can be cool like you ladies soon and jog faster!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I ran again today!! Three slightly longer sprints than last week. Yay for beginning runners!:glasses:

Oh, and HI NORTH CAROLINA FOLKS! I'm in Winston-Salem.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    I decided to run at lunch today, so I could come home and take my dog out right away. So I did 5 miles plus cooldown at a medium pace, I can't complain. I'm still gonna try to do some isometrics and core work today when I get home (after the dog) but probably only like 20 minutes worth, maybe 30 if I'm feelin up to it. After 6 hours of baseball yesterday, I'm pretty sore though. I hate doubleheaders!
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member

Um...yup. I have bathroom issues while running, too!:laugh: The majority of my runs are around my neighborhood, so I can conveniently pit stop in the comfort of my own home. There has been many times where I pray that I'll make it somewhere on time! Usually I won't run until I've empied out (gross, I know :blushing: ). That will usually do the trick, but not always. I think I'll try that tums trick! I'm glad to hear this is a common problem and not just me!
  • hessied
    Hi ya!
    5.4 miles but I did really great time, I went it at 11.36 per mile, so I am officially faster than 12 per mile. And today was a good run, good effort, but not too hard. If I didn't have to rush to work now, I could have done the 8 miles today.
    See ya!
    SM

That's great, SM! You'll be doing a 10 minute mile in no time! :bigsmile:
  • hessied
    Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I snuck in a 5K while my son was a football practice.
  • Hi ya!
    5.4 miles but I did really great time, I went it at 11.36 per mile, so I am officially faster than 12 per mile. And today was a good run, good effort, but not too hard. If I didn't have to rush to work now, I could have done the 8 miles today.
    See ya!
    SM

That's great, SM! You'll be doing a 10 minute mile in no time! :bigsmile:

Aww, thanks.:flowerforyou:

Good luck M. Sorry to hear all the news, will keep good thoughts for you.

And myself glad to hear it isn't just me having to run into the house and strait to the bathroom. Not so much a problem now, but before I timed my runs, I bet I ran really fast a few times to hurry home. I bet I looked like I had a pole you know were trying to run and clench. ha ha ha.:blushing: Thanks for the tips on that.
    When you run a marathon, do they usually have bathrooms around? I was always wondering about that.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    [

And myself glad to hear it isn't just me having to run into the house and strait to the bathroom. Not so much a problem now, but before I timed my runs, I bet I ran really fast a few times to hurry home. I bet I looked like I had a pole you know were trying to run and clench. ha ha ha.:blushing: Thanks for the tips on that.
    When you run a marathon, do they usually have bathrooms around? I was always wondering about that.

At the Portland marathon there were lots of porta-potties every couple of miles. I used to hate porta-potties, but have learned to be thankful for them. The organized races aren't usually a problem, it's the long training runs where we sometimes have problems. The other cool thing about the marathon (and the other organized runs) is that they block off all the traffic so the runners have the whole street totally to themselves. I wish it could always be like that.:flowerforyou: