Subway addiction! :)

Options

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Subway tip for everyone. If you order the chicken breast and then ADD the sweet onion teriyaki as your sauce, it costs $1 less than ordering a "sweet onion chicken teriyaki". So yeah... that's what I do.

Chicken breast on 9 Grain Honey Oat with lettuce, black olives, banana peppers, pickles and the sweet onion sauce.
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    I love a 6 inch tuna on wheat with american cheese. Lots of banana peppers, bell peppers, light onion, tomato and light mayo!!! mmmmmmmm then I enjoy it with a glass of ice water and bbq baked lays! my fav meal I could eat every single day!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I truly love their sweet onion chicken teriyaki but since Googling their bread I stay away now. And their 6" Tuna on Wheat has about the same nutritional content as a McDonald's Big Mac.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread9981.html

What's Really In …
    SUBWAY 9-GRAIN WHEAT (6")
    210 calories
    2 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
    410 mg sodium

Okay, so you're probably not in the habit of ordering a la carte bread loaves at Subway, but there’s a good chance you've eaten at least a few sandwiches built on this bread. The good news is that Subway actually delivers on the nine-grain promise. The bad news: Eight of those nine grains appear in miniscule amounts. If you look at a Subway ingredient statement, you'll find every grain except wheat listed at the bottom of the list, just beneath the qualifier "contains 2% or less." In fact, the primary ingredient in this bread is plain old white flour, and high-fructose corn syrup plays a more prominent role than any single whole grain. Essentially this is a white-wheat hybrid with trace amounts of other whole grains like oats, barley, and rye.

So outside of the nine grains, how many ingredients does Subway use to keep this bread together? Sixteen, including such far-from-simple ingredients as DATEM, sodium steroyl lactylate, calcium sulfate, and azodiacarbonamide. But here's one that's a little unnerving: ammonium sulfate. This compound is loaded with nitrogen, which is why it's most common use is as fertilizer. You might have used it to nourish your plants at home. And Subway does the same thing; the ammonium sulfate nourishes the yeast and helps the bread turn brown. What, did you think that dark hue was the result of whole grains? Hardly. It's a combination of the ammonium sulfate and the caramel coloring. Seems like Jarod might frown on that sort of subterfuge.

Of course, in terms of calories, Subway's still one of your best allies in the sandwich game. But here's an even better idea: Whip up one of these 25 best sandwiches in America at home in minutes. You'll save calories, money, and precious time
    The article also includes other equally disturbing facts about modern 'foods'

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatt...bout-your-food

But considering what we're subjected to everyday - as far as chemicals go - this might not be too bad. Still love the Sweet Onion Sauce. Wish they sold that in the stores.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I love the sweet onion chicken terriyaki!! However the new fresh fit chicken salad one looks great, I can't wait to try it!

My favourite too! I like it on 6in wheat, with onions, peppers, gherkins, jalapenos and hot chilli sauce!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Did you guys see the recent report that Subway is lowering the sodium content of many of its sandwiches? Great news for Subway lovers! I was shocked when I started using MFP and saw the sodium content - I had no idea. Before watching my diet I used to love the meatball sub, but I have only had one in the last three years. Now I get chicken breast or the club - the club is so good with bacon added so I allow myself that once a month or so. Now my mind is made up about lunch today - I'm going to Subway and having the April special, Bacon, Egg, and Cheese!
  • missbeezy
    Options
    will flatbread have less calories?
  • missbeezy
    Options
    I had not heard that but it's good to know b/c my tuna sub is over 1000 mg of sodium!
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    I wish turkey was on the list of $5 footlongs. I normally get

Black Forrest Ham
    Wheat
    Lettuce
    Pickles
    Onions
    Bell Peppers
    American Cheese

The local subways here do not have Spinach on their list of veggies.
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Footlong on Honey Oat
    *Grilled chicken
    *pepperjack cheese
    *green peppers
    *onions
    *black olivers

*THEN Toasted
    *Lettuce
    *Pickle
    *Extra Cucumber (best part makes the sub)
    *lite mayo

I say i will eat it all I eat half open the other half take 1 bite then I am done :-) Makes 2 meals.
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    I like the oven roasted chicken breast on honey oat bread toasted with swiss cheese, with spicy brown mustard and all the veggies minus: pickles, olives, bannana peppers...trying to watch the sodium.
  • miranda52
    Options
    I have recently become addicted too! I don't eat meat, so I like the footlong veggie delight with no cheese. It's like a salad on bread. So yummy!
  • carolynnjoy
    Options
    In the next couple of weeks Subway will be cutting like 30 % of the sodium in their food.....so, you might be able to choose more of what you'd like.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I truly love their sweet onion chicken teriyaki but since Googling their bread I stay away now. And their 6" Tuna on Wheat has about the same nutritional content as a McDonald's Big Mac.

Boooo buz kill!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love turkey breast double meat (no cheese) on 9 grain oat piled high with veggies.. all of them!! Salt & Pepper for a little zest and easy honey mustard... delicious!! Highly recommended!! :love:
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've worked at Subway for 6 years. I STILL love Subway! Im so glad that no one on here said any of the really bad ones. Spicy use to be my favorite but now I eat a turkey on wheat almost everyday. Subway can be healthy but also can be just as bad as a big mac. Watch your dressings they hold most of the calories. And make sure to add calories to most sandwiches for cheese.

My Sandwich looks like this:

6 in. Wheat
    Turkey
    lett.
    tom.
    pic.
    mp.
    green peppers
    onions
    mustard

Cant wait to get to work to have one! LOL
  • chadam1015
    Options
    FlatBreads have more calories then white or wheat.
  • MegErin28
    Options
    I love Subway! I usually get turkey on wheat no cheese with lots of veggies and the red wine vinegar (so good and 0 calories!). I used to love the honey oat bread until I found out it is actually one of the worst breads on the menu. If I've been good all day, I'll sometimes still splurge and get it though :-)
  • chadam1015
    Options
    will flatbread have less calories?

Flatbread has 240 calories

6" 9-Grain Wheat Bread has 200 calories
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    I usually get a 6 inch turkey on wheat with lettuce, tomato, pickles, black olives, cucumbers, and a little oil and vingegar.
  • hayleynibhriain
    Options
    That's not bad! You could be eating worse!!! :) I looooove the 'Special Edition' one....the Chicken Temptation MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!