Being treated better by men........

Options
We all know its true, but when it hits you in the face, its an eye-opener. So over the past year, I have lost 34 lbs. [13 to go]. It has been a slow but steady loss. Men whom I have known for 5 years [some married some not] have begun to treat me better, and it is, well, a little disappointing. We all know pretty people get better treatment. I have always known it, and I must say, it reveals a lot about the people who do a 180 and treat you better. People who treat me the same, I wonder how they have avoided the psychological pitfall that we as humans are able to get into.
In the back of my mind, I knew this would happen, but it still surprises me.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's probably not only due to your weight. As you've been taking better care of yourself, your attitude, self-confidence and the way you dress have also all probably cahnged. Some of the response you are getting is to these changes as well.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    interesting. On the flip side, when I was slim women treat me a lot worse than they do now! I found it harder to make female friends.

Men were nicer to me yes, but not necessarily out of respect. Often people who I thought were friends were actually interested in being a bit more.

Being fat and a bit older, none of that happens now though. I can relax! :)

I do believe that when I am slim again I will perhaps get a bit of jealousy from the ladies or head turning from the men in the beginning, but the trick is to nip it in the bud - remind them you're the same person, remind them to respect you.

As long as you respect yourself and carry yourself well, others will too.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Men are shallow. Fact :P
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ouch!!
    :huh:
  • ericapledger
    ericapledger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So true! When we treat ourselves better other people do too.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    I think its more the way you carry yourself than the actual weight. Most men say that pregnant women have a beautiful glow. Now that is obviously not because of their physique but more about the happiness they exude.
    As you lose the weight you feel better and more confident. It shows.
    "Everyone wants to go to the party but no one like funerals"
    The all men are shallow comments are a bit harsh, but no offense taken because I'm sure there may be one out there.:smile:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I was speaking to someone else about this phenomenon in another thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/214953-people-are-treating-me-differently-sad-but-true?page=2

From that thread:

Have you heard of the Halo Effect? It describes a type of cognitive (psychological) bias where one characteristic of a person or one factor in a situation affects the evaluation of the person's other traits.

What this means in plain English is that if you are slender or good looking for example people will carry over those positive traits and apply them to other parts of your character even if there is no good evidence that they exist. So, slim people will be perceived as somehow "better" or "more intelligent" or "good" simply because of the perception of initial positve characteristics.

This works in reverse as well it seems. Overweight has a negative connation. Therefore this negative association is carried over and fat individuals are deemed to be somehow "lazy" or "unworthy" even though this perhaps couldn't be further from the truth.

Really, we should judge each other by the content of our characters and by who we truly are as people. However, in reality this doesn't happen as much as it should. I guess that is understandable. I think there just aren't enough hours in the day to have the time to assess everyone we come across properly. Therefore we have to rely on quick impressions and signals mainly.

Unfortunately, this increased attention and politeness is something you will simply have to get used to, even though it may strike you as false. It is just the way of the world.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It is probably a bit of both. Yes some people are shallow. BUT, you are probably holding your head high, walking with pride, overall putting out a more positive vibe. That in itself is noticable to others.

After losing 200+ pounds I found the same thing happen to me. Others in my support group(weightloss surgery group) would get highly offended at these situations. But, when I stopped to think about how I was at nearly 400 pounds...I was literally trying to hide from the world in my fat. I avoided social situations, avoided eye contact, walked with my head down, looking at the floor, etc.

When you go through that dramatic of a change you give off a much different vibe. As disconcerting as it was at first to get attention (of any kind really), as you get used to your new skin, you wear better fitting clothes, look people in the eye as you pass them, smile at strangers, etc. You get that in return.

People are people....not all of them are shallow, but, are mearly responding to your happier self.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Have lost 26 lbs. and was hit on THREE times this week.
    Told the boyfriend, "Hey, out there, some think THIS is the pinnacle of HOT. You'd better keep taking care of this."
    Haaa!! =)
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    This thread brings Susan Boyle to mind. Funny how the audience was snickering and laughing at her when she came on stage. Then WOW, she blew them away didn't she?
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I was speaking to someone else about this phenomenon in another thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/214953-people-are-treating-me-differently-sad-but-true?page=2

From that thread:

Have you heard of the Halo Effect? It describes a type of cognitive (psychological) bias where one characteristic of a person or one factor in a situation affects the evaluation of the person's other traits.

What this means in plain English is that if you are slender or good looking for example people will carry over those positive traits and apply them to other parts of your character even if there is no good evidence that they exist. So, slim people will be perceived as somehow "better" or "more intelligent" or "good" simply because of the perception of initial positve characteristics.

This works in reverse as well it seems. Overweight has a negative connation. Therefore this negative association is carried over and fat individuals are deemed to be somehow "lazy" or "unworthy" even though this perhaps couldn't be further from the truth.

Really, we should judge each other by the content of our characters and by who we truly are as people. However, in reality this doesn't happen as much as it should. I guess that is understandable. I think there just aren't enough hours in the day to have the time to assess everyone we come across properly. Therefore we have to rely on quick impressions and signals mainly.

Unfortunately, this increased attention and politeness is something you will simply have to get used to, even though it may strike you as false. It is just the way of the world.

Yes!!! I remember learning about this in a psychology class in college. It's also known as the attractiveness stereotype. Sad but true.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    If your perception is true, it sounds like you have some shallow male friends.

I would hesitate to characterize all by the actions of some.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    wow....I just don't know what to add to this thread...
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    “Men are like pumpkins. It seems like all the good ones are either taken or they've had everything scraped out of their heads with a spoon.”

;-)
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing. Since losing the weight men treat me better and women treat me worse. Simple and sad as that.
  • soarinup
    soarinup Posts: 20
    Options
    Normally, I would say yes, you are correct that it is a self-confidence thing. But I am a very self-confident person, always walked with shoulders straight, head held high, and greeting others positively and firmly. The men in my situation were putting themselves "out there" to me, and never had before. So I strongly believe in this case, it was an outer shell change that caused them to treat me better.
  • mikefit48
    mikefit48 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lol! I think it is a shame we still make sweeping generalizations about men and women. Most of the time the people I know who can't meet quality men or women are either attracted to the wrong things or are looking in the WRONG places. A lot of our social norms are defined by the people we interact with. I could make the same argument concerning appearance towards women and how they treat me is altered by how I look. (Although it IS a fact that men are physiologically more visual.) It just how we are wired and the only difference between the good ones and the bad ones is whether we allow those instincts to control our civility or not. I think most of us who "improve our appearance" tend to also improve our confidence, our health, how we dress, where we go socially, etc... All these things contribute to us being treated differently. We CANNOT forget that the whole reason we seek to improve our health is so we can avoid the pitfalls of low self-esteem, self-doubt, self-defamation, and self-destruction. To be honest, these things aren't attractive to either men OR women. Not judging this specific example.. just responding from a man's perspective because I find this to be a interesting dialogue.
  • soarinup
    soarinup Posts: 20
    Options
    Have lost 26 lbs. and was hit on THREE times this week.
    Told the boyfriend, "Hey, out there, some think THIS is the pinnacle of HOT. You'd better keep taking care of this."
    Haaa!! =)
    And if he isn't, you need to move on for your own good
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    “Men are like pumpkins. It seems like all the good ones are either taken or they've had everything scraped out of their heads with a spoon.”

;-)
    Hehe! Haven't heard that one before!!
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    Lol! I think it is a shame we still make sweeping generalizations about men and women. Most of the time the people I know who can't meet quality men or women are either attracted to the wrong things or are looking in the WRONG places. A lot of our social norms are defined by the people we interact with. I could make the same argument concerning appearance towards women and how they treat me is altered by how I look. (Although it IS a fact that men are physiologically more visual.) It just how we are wired and the only difference between the good ones and the bad ones is whether we allow those instincts to control our civility or not. I think most of us who "improve our appearance" tend to also improve our confidence, our health, how we dress, where we go socially, etc... All these things contribute to us being treated differently. We CANNOT forget that the whole reason we seek to improve our health is so we can avoid the pitfalls of low self-esteem, self-doubt, self-defamation, and self-destruction. To be honest, these things aren't attractive to either men OR women. Not judging this specific example.. just responding from a man's perspective because I find this to be a interesting dialogue.

Well said Brother
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!