Frugal living anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic!

I'm lucking out this Easter weekend because I'm calling dibs on the leftover ham we are making here at home. Actually, I'm being sent away with the leftover ham, because my mom isn't a huge leftover fan. I'm still doing some shopping this week though because chickens are on sale for $1.44 a pound at the grocery store. It would be good to buy a few and freeze them.

I'm also picking up broccoli for 88 cents, and grapes for 87 cents a pound. I have to go to the Bulk Barn today and get some stuff as well.

I found a way to save on my internet connection today as well. It's amazing how if you are willing to do a bit of extra legwork (in anything I guess) you can save so much.

where is the chicken on sale for $1.44/lb?
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I found a way to save on my internet connection today as well. It's amazing how if you are willing to do a bit of extra legwork (in anything I guess) you can save so much.

If you use Comcast for your internet you can call about every six months and say you want to cancel something or change your plan and they start throwing deals at you for the internet and cable. I've been doing this for years and as long as you keep track of when your special offers end you can save a bunch!
  • jaimie27
    jaimie27 Posts: 1
    Options
    Im in! I love a good bargain!:happy:
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh...and since I was just going to do this and I don't think I saw it mentioned yet- You can print or download coupons from the website for your grocery stores too (I'm a bit of an online shopping junkie if that's not seeming obvious yet). Safeway and King Soopers have ones you can download straight to your card. Safeway does a lot of" this week only special" ones that are great to save a bunch when combined with the newspaper coupons ( I got toothpaste for 50 cents last week). Target has ones you can print off the site and take into the store for all kinds of different stuff too, not just food.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You can add me!
    We have been living frugally for a few years now. My husband does the growing of the veggies thing and I do the making of the laundry liquid/house hold cleaner thing :) We turn things off when they arent being used and only use the dryer if it is absolutely essential.
    We have also started to eat more vegetarian meals due to the price of meat in Australia at the moment - its crazy expensive.
    My husband takes public transport, and before my boys got too big for the trailer I used to ride us around everywhere.
    If anyone is interested my husband created a really good website: www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au Its got loads of gardening tips but also heaps of info on how to make or do things yourself.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I'd love to follow this. I have a wedding to save for and student loans to pay off! Groceries are getting expensive!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Loving all the replies!

I think I have my grocery flyer situation all settled for tomorrow. I wanted to do this sooner but tomorrow is the most feasible option. You can add me as a friend and read my blog, because I'm going to be posting what I'm buying and eating for the week!

:)
  • hotpickles
    Options
    This is fantastic!

I'm lucking out this Easter weekend because I'm calling dibs on the leftover ham we are making here at home. Actually, I'm being sent away with the leftover ham, because my mom isn't a huge leftover fan. I'm still doing some shopping this week though because chickens are on sale for $1.44 a pound at the grocery store. It would be good to buy a few and freeze them.

I'm also picking up broccoli for 88 cents, and grapes for 87 cents a pound. I have to go to the Bulk Barn today and get some stuff as well.

where is the chicken on sale for $1.44/lb?

It was at Freshco (which was once Price Chopper I believe). The sale ended yesterday and I never ended up getting one. I think No Frills usually has them on sale too.
  • hotpickles
    Options
    I did a quick food diary with the foods I'm planning on buying next week. I think once I start working out a little more, I will be needing to up the calories. With that said, I'm wondering if maybe I can get some cheap bulk things such as walnuts.

If anyone has any ideas how to get some more calories for cheap (and natural) I'd love to hear them!

:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Got the bicycle all fixed up yesterday and today. I'm definitely looking forward to riding my bike to work some this summer. I would do it more often, but since I have to take my wife to work, I don't think she would like having to stand on the bike pegs in her dress clothes.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I spent the past year living this lifestyle. Three weeks before my daughter's birth I was laid off. Because of the high cost of daycare and having spent all of our savings scraping by, I was unable to find a suitable job. My partner works at a bar so needless to say he never had extra money to give to me. I re-invented my clothes, shopped at goodwill, rode my bike anywhere I needed to go, grew a small garden, used less products, never saw a hairstylist, ect. I'm actually proud of my "survival" skills and my situation really put somethings into perspective. Because I was tossed into poverty, I now know exactly what I NEED to get by. I recently got hired as a full-time nanny and have the money to do stuff here and there, however I now have to payback student loans, credit card settlement, and support a toddler. The thing is, I enjoyed the simplicity of living minimally. It takes willpower, but it's rewarding in it's own way. I just hope that getting that degree pays off someday so I can enjoy the "finer" things!