5 Guys Burgers

Options
Heres one for you.

Best choice when eating at 5 Guys?

Seems like I can make it out of there under 1,000 calories, but checking to see if anyone has experience with this place.

Thanks!

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Little Hamburger with sauteed mushrooms, onions, jalapenos and A1 steak sauce (578 calories)

Little trick: A regular hamburger or cheeseburger at Five Guys means two beef patties. Order the "little" burger with one patty, then load up on vegetables like mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and lettuce.

Guilty Pleasure: If you are looking to indulge, skip the American cheese and reward yourself with 2 slices of bacon (only 80 calories)

BLT with 4 slices bacon, lettuce, tomato and mustard (434 calories)

Not so healthy, but under 1000 calories:

Little Cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, mayo and ketchup (735 calories)
    Hot Dog with ketchup, mustard, onions and relish (585 calories)
    Little Cheeseburger with bacon, onions, steak sauce and mayo (815 calories)

Source: Eat This Not That
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think even staying under 1,000 calories will be tricky. Remember that a regular order of fries is 2 servings. So a "little burger" and 1/2 order of fries will put you around 800-900 cals.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Eliminating the Bun will do 2 things - take away a crap load of carbs and a crap load of calories

also not getting the fries and instead just having the peanuts
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yes---DON'T eat there!
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    veggie burger no fries
  • kanglj65
    kanglj65 Posts: 25
    Options
    Don't know if you would be willing to do this, but I only eat half the bun when I have a burger. Heck, sometimes I don't eat the bun at all, but then that's hardly a burger I guess. But either way cuts out a lot of carbs and calories. Good luck!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Don't go there, or only go if you're planning on a "relax" day.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The Little Hamburger is not bad (around 600 cals with most toppings except cheese and mayo). When we go, our family of four splits a single regular order of fries. If it were me, alone, I just wouldn't order fries. The orders are just too large. I realize that the simplicity of their menu is key to the freshness of their food, but I do wish they offered a side item that was friendlier, like a fruit cup or side salad.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with indulging once in awhile.

I LOVE 5 Guys but I gave up beef a few years ago so it has been a long time since I've had a burger. But theirs are about the best out there hands down. Definitely get the "little" burger. Skip the cheese, bacon and mayo, and load it up w/veggies and mustard. I'm a sucker for fresh cut fries, get the small order if you have someone to share them with. Skip them if you don't.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes---DON'T eat there!

+1. You shouldn't go to Five Guys and not get a really good burger, so unless you're doing a cheat day, don't bother.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    how not to eat 1000 calories at 5 guys = stop going there!
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks All. Not a common place for me to eat, but it is a friends birthday, and thats where he wants to go.

Veggie burger has trans fat, so I try and stay away from it.

Eating half the bun is a great suggestion. I typically take the top half off and eat the rest of the burger with a fork and knife when I am out at other restaurants.

Looks like I will be doing a little burger with mushrooms, pickles and A1. Water to drink. Steal a couple of fries from my neighbor (will save me calories and money.) :-)

Thanks again all!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    5 guys is so GOOD!! My only suggestion would be to get a little hamburger and only eat a few fries. Good luck and enjoy the hell out of that burger!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Unless they have added a veggie "burger", it is just a bun w/vegetables on it, not a "veggie" patty. Kind of defeats the purpose of going to a burger joint.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think you should endulge but I always make sure I can alot for the calories or I have a hard workout before I do it. I mean come on 5 guys and fries? I personally love my heart rate monitor for these purposes. I actually ate their yesterday and I made sure I paid the band before I danced =)
  • sharahj
    sharahj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So rude.
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    So rude.

Who is rude?
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Loved them before I started this and haven't even thought of attempting that. Definitely good to think about it before you get there and these are some good suggestions in case my arm is ever twited to going there. :)
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So rude.

Who is rude?

It's rude, when someone asks for one thing (strategies for not breaking the calorie bank at a given restaurant) to respond with an imperative that is not helpful, not useful, and does not directly address the question asked -- eg, a response along the lines of "Don't go there!"