Why did I not try savory oatmeal earlier!

Options
After looking for new ways to make my oatmeal, I kept stumbling on savory recipes. I thought I would give it a try and it opened my eyes to a whole new way to enjoy oatmeal!

Cook the desired type of oatmeal in water or broth.
Sautee some onion, green pepper, and mushrooms in a pan until they start to soften...but still have some crunch.
Stir 1T reduced sodium soy sauce and a bit of sriracha hot sauce if you like (but I added a bit to much and it was a little hot;)
Stir in your vegetables
Top with a fried or poached egg and cheese if your like.

This was 316cal...made 1/2c oatmeal in water, 1/4 of a green pepper, 2T onion, 1/4 cup diced portabello mushrooms. 1T soy and 1/2T hot sauce, 2T reduced fat chedder, and a lg egg fried sunny side up in a nonstick skillet. VERY filling!

Have you tried a savory oatmeal recipe...what do you add to it?

Replies

• KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal - love this in the winter! OK - It's probably more sweet than savory, but stilll....

1 cup old fashioned oats, not quick cook
    1 Tbs whole flax seeds, optional
    2 1/2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp lemon zest
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp butter, softened
    3/4 cup pumpkin puree
    3/4 cup milk
    Topping:

1/4 cup pecans, chopped
    2 tsp butter, softened
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    Preheat oven ...to 375 degrees F. Grease 4 individual sized ramekins. Set aside.

Combine the oats through salt in a medium sized bowl. Stir well. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, butter, pumpkin, and milk. Whisk thoroughly. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oats. Stir until combined.

Divide mixture evenly between 4 individual sized ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to move in and out of the oven.). Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar. After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and divide topping mixture evenly between the ramekins. Bake and additional 7 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with a splash of milk and raisins, if desired.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    OMG that sounds delicious! I usually eat my oatmeal with pb in the mornings but now I have to try this. Sriracha is my favorite hot sauce too! YUM!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I never thought of that! I think I'll try it!! I get so bored of breakfast because I'm more of a savory person but don't eat eggs, so I end up with grapefruit and yogurt.

Thanks!!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump, this sounds interesting, i think its worth a try!
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting.
    I concur -- will have to try for sure.
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've been considering savory... you may have swayed me!
  • mamafoofer
    Options
    bumb- very interesting. I eat oatmela all the time but never thought of savory oatmeal!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    WTF? I have never tryed oat meal with veggies!!! I always thought of it as a sweet breakfast! I'm going to try this!!!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me, i will try it sometime!
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Never even thought of savory oatmeal! Will definitely have to try it, thanks for the post! :)
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My friend was just telling me about an Oatmeal Risotto recipe that she got from one of the Chef's on the Food Network! I want to try it too!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I have to admit... I wasn't quite convinced until I started Googling savory oatmeal recipes. This one (especially the photos!) had me drooling. LIterally.

http://pennydelossantos.wordpress.com/2010/08/05/sexed-up-savory-oatmeal/
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    I was just about to cook lunch, so I think I will try this right now. I already have the ingredients precut in the fridge! just have to cook the oatmeal.
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal in the microwave with water and add frozen blueberries and a dash of milk to it after it has cooked. Very delicious and low in calories!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I never thought of having savory oatmeal....and the thought of something delicious like that maybe served with a poached egg?!??! OMG DELICIOUS!

Thanks for the post!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    And this is the type of thing that would be great on those nights when you get home later than usual and need a quick dinner !

I'm way too excited over this but oh well :tongue:
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    WTF? I have never tryed oat meal with veggies!!! I always thought of it as a sweet breakfast! I'm going to try this!!!

LMFAO! Perfect response. Hahaha!