Is 150lbs still too heavy for a 5'4" person?

Options

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Not to seem like a perve, but women with large breasts tend to break the curve for "normal weights". If you have big boobs you'll probably have a hard time making into "normal" weight ranges.

Right! Darn those muscles and boobs! :tongue:
    Oh my god, I love your quote. I miss Carlin. :(
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Not to seem like a perve, but women with large breasts tend to break the curve for "normal weights". If you have big boobs you'll probably have a hard time making into "normal" weight ranges.

Right! Darn those muscles and boobs! :tongue:

I wasn't complaining..... :bigsmile:
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I had the same start weight as you do and am also 5'4". I briefly reached my goal of 132, but at that weight my skin looked like an empty sac on my body. I had simply been too big for too long. It refused to tighten up. I slowly deliberately began to gain weight and found I was happiest at 147-149. Personally, I just liked being in the 140' s there was no physical difference between 147 and 150. Also, at that weight I received far more compliments than when i was thinner. I am medium build and after 4 pregnancies I need to be a little fuller to avoid being saggy. Plus I am used to being kinda chesty and when I got too far below 150 I hated how the girls lost their stuffing. lol
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    i don't get the logic. if you can lose 82 lbs you can lose 100 lbs. 132 isn't even that light for someone 5'4" and female.

but, you should set a lot of small goals and then work your way from there. try to lose 10 lbs first, then 15, then 22, etc. don't have a goal of 82 lbs right off the bat. you need to build up to 82 lbs. start with 10 lbs.

once you get to 150, reevaluate your goal of 132. i guarantee when you are at 150 you will know that 132 is a realistic goal (especially since you've lost 82 lbs already).
    At this point, its just the fact that I may feel content at 150. :/ I DUNNO. I still have a while to think about it, so my mind may change.

....132 is plenty light for someone who's 5'4. I'd LOVE to be 150 (I'm 5'4"). I definitely say keep 150 for your goal for right now and see how you feel when you get there. Figure that anything more than that is bonus and awesome, but 150 is a great goal! My ultimate goal is 170-160, but hell, I'll be happy to be under 200 at this point haha.

Jeez, SAME here. And yeah.. I have mixed feelings about both weights now. 150 sounds AMAZING right now, yet 132 sounds slammin', yet sounds a little too teeny as well. I've been 150 before (highschool; and have grown a few inches since then height wise), never 132 though..
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7''--large build & they want me to weigh between 118 & 159lbs--I actually feel & look great between 170-180lbs. That still puts me in the overweight range , but not in the obese range. I agree with the person that says to revisit your goals when you meet the 150 goal.
    Good Luck & keep working on it :happy:

I agree Im the same height and I want to be 175 even though 120-150 is "ideal" for my height. Then again I also know I will always have hips boobs & butt lol. But Ive thought the same and am pretty sure once I hit 175 If I can maintain for 6 months Im going to try to go down to 160
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    LOL, no worries. It makes me chuckle to think about weighing boobs alone, hahaaa.

Agreed! Even in the best shape of my life I weighed about 160 and was about 13lbs overweight, I probably could have made it to a 'healthy weight' just by getting a breast reduction! :laugh:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Oh my god, I love your quote. I miss Carlin. :(
    [/quote]

I know!! :cry:

There are many articles and sources out there, but a quick internet search I found this one:
    Weight Index Doesn't Tell the Whole Truth
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/health/31brod.html?_r=1
  • sizzerz
    sizzerz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4", and lost 60 lbs since September. First I want to encourage you--YOU CAN DO IT!! Second, I have the same question. I set my goal at 150, and have been there for a month. So far, I feel good, and people keep saying not to lose anymore, so I guess I look ok. I am going to try to maintain for about three months at 150, and see if I can drop to 145 comfortably, without being hungry all the time. I think 150 is a great place to aim. You can always reevaluate when you get there! And I know you will!!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I say do make makes you comfortable and you know what? They don't hold you to your goal so it can always be changed. Make it your goal, get there and then you can decide if you are happy or need to lose more.

I upped my goal after awhile :flowerforyou:
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I am 5' 4", and lost 60 lbs since September. First I want to encourage you--YOU CAN DO IT!! Second, I have the same question. I set my goal at 150, and have been there for a month. So far, I feel good, and people keep saying not to lose anymore, so I guess I look ok. I am going to try to maintain for about three months at 150, and see if I can drop to 145 comfortably, without being hungry all the time. I think 150 is a great place to aim. You can always reevaluate when you get there! And I know you will!!
    Well, judging by your main pic, 150 fits you great already! :D
  • ashmom86
    ashmom86 Posts: 117
    Options
    I just made it to 150 lbs & decided I need to lose 10 more. Im 5'5 & started @ 168 lbs. It's all up to how you feel. You have set a very realistic goal. See how you feel when you get to 150.

I am 5'5 and at 143 now...thought I'd be happy here but I am not!! I want to lose 5-10 more and tone up!!! I started at 201 though so that may make a big difference!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    well unless you have a lot of muscle then you do need to go to below 150 to be at a good BMI....if your not sick your healthy already.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Everyone wears weight differently, but it sounds like a good goal to me. You might even find yourself happy higher than that - just assess it when you get closer to your goal.
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and at one point I was 155ish. I held it all in my tummy and thighs (still, but not as much in my tummy). I have dropped to 130.8 and while I could go for more, I think I'm sticking with 130 and just toning the poop out of what is left of me. People are telling me I am too thin now (which is NO where near the case)
    I just think you have to find what works for you. If you are happy and healthy, I don't see why it should matter. I set small goals to keep me motivated and took it 1/2 lb a week (and for the most part I usually lost more than that) and then reset my goals once I reached them.
    Find 150 and then reevaluate! Good Luck!
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I am 5'3 and at one point I was 155ish. I held it all in my tummy and thighs (still, but not as much in my tummy). I have dropped to 130.8 and while I could go for more, I think I'm sticking with 130 and just toning the poop out of what is left of me. People are telling me I am too thin now (which is NO where near the case)
    I just think you have to find what works for you. If you are happy and healthy, I don't see why it should matter. I set small goals to keep me motivated and took it 1/2 lb a week (and for the most part I usually lost more than that) and then reset my goals once I reached them.
    Find 150 and then reevaluate! Good Luck!
    Thank you! I'm pretty much the same as you, I carry alot in my tummy, thighs as well as my back. D:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think technically it would still have you in the slightly overweight category. I am 148ish and 5'5, and am right at the top end of healthy, even though to most people I look quite thin these days. It depends how much muscle you have. I have a lot.
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I think technically it would still have you in the slightly overweight category. I am 148ish and 5'5, and am right at the top end of healthy, even though to most people I look quite thin these days. It depends how much muscle you have. I have a lot.
    I have muscley arms and legs from lifting heavy inventory at work, the most. Nothing amazing, but I can tell its a contributing factor.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people put so much stock in BMI! BMI doesn't factor in muscle mass! So, my fit, muscular hubby is always considered "obese" when he goes to the doctor because his weight is higher that the chart THINKS he should be! Um, he has low body fat and lots of muscle; hardly obese in my book! :smile:

My point is that you should focus on body fat! When you drop to 150lbs, have your body fat tested. THEN gauge where you need to go from there.

Men are exceptions. Women are not putting on THAT much muscle unless they are bodybuilders.

I don't agree at all. When I was 22 I had a BMI of about 22/23, but only 18% fat (It went down to 14 at one point). I have never been a body builder, or anything like. I hadn't even done weights for 4 years by that point. Body fat is a far more accurate measure of how healthy you are than BMI.
  • sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 4 and aiming for 145 - im "big" built for a girl and look skinny at 140. I went for 145 just as i wanted a 6 stone target so it was more that it was just even/rounded to an actual stone weight,

In my ticker i have 84 pounds as a target - im dividing it into the segments - so i have 8 "chunks" of 10.5pounds to lose - nearly lost the 1st one lol

Feel free to add me any of the 5ft 4ish girls with similar goals :)
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    5'4" here too... I'm at 170 now... and a size 12... I'm bigger boned and muscular especially in the the thigh area... -
    I wanted to get to 145 also, but I"m thinking 150lbs... people (of course) are telling me not to lose too much more weight... but I want at least another 20 off!

I really think it depends on your body type and how you generally look... - if that makes sense!!!!

L.