Jillian Michaels--One Size Doesn't Fit All

Options
Hi all,
I get an email with messages from Jillian Michaels every day--from "Everyday Health." Here is what the latest one I received says. Think it is good info to keep in mind, especially the part about trying to create a physique contrary to your natural body time and you body rebelling.
Enjoy.
Kaye

One Size Doesn't Fit All

.Ever try to squeeze your feet into shoes that are one size too small just because you love the style? Doesn't work, does it? Well, maybe you can cram your feet into those shoes for the sake of a special evening, but you can't wear them all the time. They're just too uncomfortable!

Starving yourself with the goal of creating a physique that's contrary to your natural body type is a similar thing. You might get there for a month or two, but eventually your body will rebel.

Ultimately, there are three basic body types. It's important to understand your shape and know what you can and can't expect. Which one best describes you?

The apple shape. People with apple shapes tend to store fat in their upper bodies, so if an apple is carrying extra weight, it's usually around the belly. Apples have evolved to store fat in this way to adapt to long periods of famine. Fat stored in the upper body can lead to heart disease, so it is important for apples to be health conscious.

The pear shape. Pears hold the majority of their fat in the lower body: hips, buttocks, saddlebags. Pears are mostly women. This shape has evolved because fat stored in these areas aids in fertility and breast-feeding. This type of fat is not as much of a health risk as abdominal fat, but it is harder to lose.

The proportioned shape. Lucky proportionates have fat cells distributed equally throughout their entire body. When they gain weight, they gain it everywhere. When they lose weight, it comes off evenly.

Taken from: http://www.everydayhealth.com/one-size-doesnt-fit-all.aspx?xid=nl_LosingItWithJillianMichaels_20110422

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I got that email too, it was great! I'm a yummy pear :D
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately im a pear =[
    well im a banana..
    but out of this list im a pear..
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am proportional, which is all fine and good on paper but in the mirror (and being short) just equates to "unless I'm thin and wear tight fitting clothing to accentuate the waist, I just look fat everywhere."
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple :( but not for long!
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am an apple - almost ALL of my excess weight is carried around my middle! So frustrating ...
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I guess I will call it luck..... but I'm proportioned. Thanks for sharing!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I always hesitated buying a workout DVD and I started to try some on my Netflix instant queue. I needed a DVD that I could take with me to business trips and do in a hotel room without too much ruckus when I could not make it to the gym (while traveling).

Turns out, Jillian's power yoga DVD (for only $8 at Target) was a lifesaver. I did not think I would like it, but I love it. To log it in MFP just log as power yoga. Check it out--worth the $8 for sure!!!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I am proportional, which is all fine and good on paper but in the mirror (and being short) just equates to "unless I'm thin and wear tight fitting clothing to accentuate the waist, I just look fat everywhere."

:laugh: I was just thinking the same thing! She (she being Jillian) makes it sound like we're the lucky ones to be fat all over. :huh: Interesting read though!
  • Calistar24
    Options
    Love this article! Thanks for posting!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am an apple and a combination of MFP and JM dvd's has FINALLY helped me to lose weight and keep it off. Getting ready to do the Shred again this Spring, then I will hit 2 or 3 of her other videos hardcore over the summer!
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I was pretty proportional for awhile, but once I tipped over 180 lbs, I definitely became an apple. I could fit my pants just fine, just couldn't button them!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Pear! Which is fine as long as it's a toned, smooth-skinned pear :)
    Now I wanna eat one.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    Options
    How come there isn't one for a watermelon? I'm a watermelon.
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options

lol i am proportional too !! and your comment cracked me up lol
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. damn saddlibags
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Me too. :frown:
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    I AM an apple but NOT FOR LONG!!
  • odjit
    odjit Posts: 58
    Options
    i'm such a pear! it's frustrating, because i can wear size medium shirts but have to wear like xl or xxl bottoms. lol it's just really difficult going shopping because of that.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. I love my skinny waist but hate my butt and thighs!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. I love my skinny waist but hate my butt and thighs!
    Exactly! I can wear a 14 on top, and an 18 on the bottom. :(