They say 8 Glasses of water a day but...

Options
Why, people may think this is a silly question but I would actually like to know

I do enjoy water and could easily drink water all day so its not like it bothers me but I have always wondered

What benefits it gives
Why 8 glasses
How much is too much

I would love to know

xx

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bump

I enjoy water, but I tend to not think about it and rarely get my 8 glasses in =( I am curious to know the benefits =)
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    This is it sometimes I do struggle to get my 8 glasses in just for the fact it fills me right up and the constant need to visit the ladies room hahaha ! :)

xx
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    1.Lose weight: Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less. Plus, water has zero calories. Here are the further details on how to achieve fat loss by drinking water.
    2.Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although there are many other reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.
    3.Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increase skin elasticity.
    4.Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrate.
    5.Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. You’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises and water helps to fuel your muscle.
    6.Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.
    7.Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.
    8.Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. Another words one of the benefits of drinking water can improve our immune system. Follow this link for further information on how lemon water can improve your health.
    9.Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks of water, your heart, for instance, need to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so are you.
    10.Good Mood: Your body feels very good and that’s why you feel happy.
    11.Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.

(I will be the first to admit i dont drink enough AT ALL! But it is super good for you.)
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    Options
    helps fight hunger - often if you are hungry you are probably dehydrated
    flushes out toxins
    really imporant if you are working out
    good for your skin
    water is better for your teeth than drinking coffee or soda or other "sugar free" beverages.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about alot of it, but the more I drink the more weight I lose. I still very rarely drink 8 full glasses a day though.

Also, my SIL had a babysitter once who drank excessive amounts of water and her kidneys finally failed on her. The dr. said that she was drinking WAY TOO much water and her kidneys couldn't process that much everyday. She is now very sick and in need of a transplant. So there is such a thing as 'too much'.

Listen to your body and it will let you know if you need more than 8 :)
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I hate water and struggle to drink my 8 cups a day
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Have you ever flushed a toilet without water? Unless it has been in an outhouse, you probably haven't. We have internal filtering and elimination systems that keep toxic substances from building up in our body. Water benefits every system of the body and for the sake of visualization, it flushes our human toilet (the bladder and colon), not to mention it hydrates our body and keeps our skin, hair and nails healthy. Keep in mind that your water intake should be over an entire day and not all at once. Drinking large amounts of water in a short period of time can result in water intoxication thereby flushing out necessary electrolytes. So yes, it is possible to drink too much water.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about alot of it, but the more I drink the more weight I lose. I still very rarely drink 8 full glasses a day though.

Also, my SIL had a babysitter once who drank excessive amounts of water and her kidneys finally failed on her. The dr. said that she was drinking WAY TOO much water and her kidneys couldn't process that much everyday. She is now very sick and in need of a transplant. So there is such a thing as 'too much'.

Listen to your body and it will let you know if you need more than 8 :)

Yikes, how much water did she drink???
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you don't get enough water your body will retain water,.... i know it sounds silly but you need 8 glasses. Also flushing out the toxins is very true... when you get a massage, especially a full body massage you should drink lots and lots of water the rest of the day to keep them out :)
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1.Lose weight: Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less. Plus, water has zero calories. Here are the further details on how to achieve fat loss by drinking water.
    2.Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although there are many other reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.
    3.Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increase skin elasticity.
    4.Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrate.
    5.Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. You’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises and water helps to fuel your muscle.
    6.Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.
    7.Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.
    8.Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. Another words one of the benefits of drinking water can improve our immune system. Follow this link for further information on how lemon water can improve your health.
    9.Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks of water, your heart, for instance, need to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so are you.
    10.Good Mood: Your body feels very good and that’s why you feel happy.
    11.Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.

(I will be the first to admit i dont drink enough AT ALL! But it is super good for you.)

VERY interesting! I knew some of this, but not all of it! Thanks for posting this!
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This is what I've heard. Not only does water flush out your system but if you don't get enough water, your liver has to do some work for your kidneys. Your liver metabolizes fat so if it's working for the kidneys, it's not as efficient as metabolizing fat. I'm no expert but I've heard this from professionals over the years.
  • Akaratel
    Options
    bump

I enjoy water, but I tend to not think about it and rarely get my 8 glasses in =( I am curious to know the benefits =)

It is hard to think of what you need in our busy lives, i carry a bottle of water with me everywhere,... when i am out i grab another
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Also how much is just a glass is it 250ml?
  • awikstrand
    awikstrand Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Water really makes a difference. My goal is 60 oz of water a day and I can usually hit 50 oz easily. Try breaking it down into smaller goals throughout the day. I try for 20 oz before lunch, dinner and bed time. I admit that I fail most at the bedtime goal.

Like others said, there are many reasons to drink the water. I was never a good water drinker. Hated the stuff! But I had to make some changes so soda and coffee are out. I do drink tea in the morning and need to compensate with double the water right after because caffeine leeches water from your system. I also like to recommend Vitamin Water Zero and Crystal Light. I couldn't do this without them.
  • Akaratel
    Options
    Water really makes a difference. My goal is 60 oz of water a day and I can usually hit 50 oz easily. Try breaking it down into smaller goals throughout the day. I try for 20 oz before lunch, dinner and bed time. I admit that I fail most at the bedtime goal.

Like others said, there are many reasons to drink the water. I was never a good water drinker. Hated the stuff! But I had to make some changes so soda and coffee are out. I do drink tea in the morning and need to compensate with double the water right after because caffeine leeches water from your system. I also like to recommend Vitamin Water Zero and Crystal Light. I couldn't do this without them.

I drink 4 -16 oz bottles a day - (there is your 8-8oz glasses) .......really isn't hard or take much thought for me because i just have it there.... plus you would be surprised how many times you are hungry,...becuase you are thirsty!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I try to drink my water in 32oz bottles. It really helps me to get it all in. I just know I have to drink two of those a day at least, it is also easy because I am not continuously filling up the bottles.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Depending on how tall you are or how much you weigh effects how much water you should be drinking.

A general rule is 1oz of water for ever 2lbs you weigh

Also a good rule of thumb if you are nut sure if you are drinking enough is the color of your pee.

Dark Yellow = not enough water
    Light Yellow = good amount
    Clear = too much water, you are just peeing water and nutrients out.
  • awikstrand
    awikstrand Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another tip: Get a water bottle with the oz printed on it. That way, when you refill the bottle before it is empty, you know how much you drank. If you are like me, you like water cold so you want to add ice cubes to the bottle all of the time. I never see the bottom of my water bottle.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What is too much water? I drink anywhere from 90-110 ounces a day...is that too much?
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    I feel terrible if I don't drink enough water, I must be the only one because my boyfriend hardly drinks any and he's fine. :p I get headaches, body aches, fatigue, ugh it's just the worst when I don't drink enough. I've always got my water bottle with me. I have no idea how much I drink a day and I think that the whole "8 glasses a day" thing was just created by doctors/nutritionist/whatever to make people drink more. You know, if you give a set idea of how much a person should have, they might be more likely to follow it.