They say 8 Glasses of water a day but...

Options

Replies

• Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What is too much water? I drink anywhere from 90-110 ounces a day...is that too much?

You are ok!

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    Also, too much water is where you drink so much you die. It can happen, google it. lol
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In honor of Earth Day, I just have to say that I hope people are using reusable water bottles, like those from Nalgene or Brita. They are BPA free, and really help me get all my water in, b/c each bottle holds at least 3 glasses. I fill mine up 3 times a day, and have no problem at all getting through them. And Brita just came out with one that has a built in filter, so that tap water can be filtered within the bottle (on my wish list!). That commercial about water bottles stretching around Earth freaks me out, and most disposable water bottles are not BPA free, not to mention the cost of drinking 4+ of these a day. Not to ramble, but water is important, and the quality reusable containers make it very easy to meet daily goals. :)
  • wildmamatiger
    wildmamatiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love this discussion. All of the benefits are amazing! I lose more weight when I drink enough water and feel so much better!

I am a big supporter of Dr. Batman and his book "You're not sick, you're thirsty".

Also, our body's thirst mechanism is so strong that many people mistake it for hunger. So, apparently we also aren't hungry but thirsty :)

As for the too much water thing, it is a problem when large amounts are consumed over a short period of time. The publicized death was a result of a contest involving a person intentionally forcing a lot of water in a short amount of time. That is simply not what we are talking about here.

No keg stands; just good 'ol fashioned water drinkin'
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I typically have about 12 glasses of water a day. Sometimes more, rarely less.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, to answer the qusetion above, yes, a serving is 250 ml or 8 oz or 1 cup.

Think of it the same as calories. You've got your BMR to show you how many calories you burn just by being a living breathing person who's you're particular size and gender. So you make sure you eat a certain amount of calories to keep your body functioning. Water is no different. We are using it in our bodies all the time for digestion, circulation, waste processing, etc and it needs to be replenished in order for all of the processes to continue working properly.

Eight 8 oz servings a day is a good rule of thumb for everyone. Go by 1 oz per 2 pounds of your weight if you think you can drink a bit more.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    In honor of Earth Day, I just have to say that I hope people are using reusable water bottles, like those from Nalgene or Brita. They are BPA free, and really help me get all my water in, b/c each bottle holds at least 3 glasses. I fill mine up 3 times a day, and have no problem at all getting through them. And Brita just came out with one that has a built in filter, so that tap water can be filtered within the bottle (on my wish list!). That commercial about water bottles stretching around Earth freaks me out, and most disposable water bottles are not BPA free, not to mention the cost of drinking 4+ of these a day. Not to ramble, but water is important, and the quality reusable containers make it very easy to meet daily goals. :)

My little buddy that I have with me at all times:

6y34fq.jpg
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i drink 3-4 litres a day because i'm a water fiend. it would equal out to 12 to 16 cups
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Opposite of getting your fluids:

Dehydration
    Dehydration shows in your skin, causes constipation, can result in dizziness, headaches. Puts stress on your kidneys by not diluting waste in your body. Decreased energy, muscle cramps. Dry mouth and bad breath.

Water is best but other fluids (not alcohol) can help as well
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Apparently the research this advice is based on never stated eight glasses of water a day per se - rather that volume was a suggestion of how much fluid intake an average person might need per day, in average weather, undertaking average activity. If you live somewhere hot, or exercise hard you'll need far more.

Many foods, even "dry" seeming ones like chicken contain a lot of water. If you eat soup, that counts, so do tea and coffee. Yes I know they're mildly diuretic, but that's the point. You drink, you pee. :)

The bottom line is that consuming enough fluid is extremely important - and if you get thirsty you're not drinking enough.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    A bit of a tangent, but sorta related: I'm not a fan of the plastic water bottles, but I finally found a metal one that I like. Thermos has a line called Roho that work great both at the gym and around the office. It has a nice one-button flip open lid, so it's quick to get a drink when you're on the treadmill or elliptical. So if you haven't found a reusable bottle that you like yet, keep looking; there are really a lot of options out there these days. Oh, and BYO makes a nice neoprene bottle sleeve that really helps keep it cold for longer. I don't care for room temperature water at all.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Apparently the research this advice is based on never stated eight glasses of water a day per se - rather that volume was a suggestion of how much fluid intake an average person might need per day, in average weather, undertaking average activity. If you live somewhere hot, or exercise hard you'll need far more.

Many foods, even "dry" seeming ones like chicken contain a lot of water. If you eat soup, that counts, so do tea and coffee. Yes I know they're mildly diuretic, but that's the point. You drink, you pee. :)

The bottom line is that consuming enough fluid is extremely important - and if you get thirsty you're not drinking enough.

I came on here to say the same thing.... thank you for stating it. The 8 glasses thing is a ridiculously pervasive myth based on a bad misinterpretation of a good study. Drink as much or as little water as you feel necessary... sorry to be crude, but your urine should be a very light yellow color. If it is clear in color, you are drinking more than enough water and don't need to be "force feeding" yourself more water.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Great topic everyone. I know that I am guilty of not always drinking enough water but I try everyday!

Anyway I drink from a Camelbak Bottle (link below). It has the oz. and ml markings on it which make it easier to track my glasses but the BEST thing of all for me is that I think its fun to drink from. I know that sounds weird but I love the valve you drink from. You have to slightly bite with your teeth in order for water to come. This comes in handy because it NEVER leaks.

OK enough with my two cents. :smile:

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles/Better-Bottle-75L.aspx
  • MustangDesi
    Options
    I recently went to the doctor and he told me, on a daily basis, to drink at least 3 normal sized bottles of water that you find in a grocery store.

This helped me because it is actually quite easy. Plus, I was also confused on exactly how much is a "glass" and what not.

:smile:
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    Wow some great replies here !

I'm glad i brought up the subject of water becuase it looks like a lot of you know the facts which is great but I know there will still be a lot out there that dont know and it is wise too get the knowledge...

And so many of us have learnt about water !

xx
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I recently went to the doctor and he told me, on a daily basis, to drink at least 3 normal sized bottles of water that you find in a grocery store.

This helped me because it is actually quite easy. Plus, I was also confused on exactly how much is a "glass" and what not.

:smile:

a glass + 1 cup of water or 250 ml
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I'm not sure about alot of it, but the more I drink the more weight I lose. I still very rarely drink 8 full glasses a day though.

Also, my SIL had a babysitter once who drank excessive amounts of water and her kidneys finally failed on her. The dr. said that she was drinking WAY TOO much water and her kidneys couldn't process that much everyday. She is now very sick and in need of a transplant. So there is such a thing as 'too much'.

Listen to your body and it will let you know if you need more than 8 :)

Their was a radio contest a few years ago, in California I think, to win a Nintendo Wii. "Hold your wee for a Wii" This women was trying to win one for her kids and she drank so much water without peeing that she died. Not even kidding. It was in the paper and everything.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love this discussion. All of the benefits are amazing! I lose more weight when I drink enough water and feel so much better!

I am a big supporter of Dr. Batman and his book "You're not sick, you're thirsty".

Also, our body's thirst mechanism is so strong that many people mistake it for hunger. So, apparently we also aren't hungry but thirsty :)

As for the too much water thing, it is a problem when large amounts are consumed over a short period of time. The publicized death was a result of a contest involving a person intentionally forcing a lot of water in a short amount of time. That is simply not what we are talking about here.

No keg stands; just good 'ol fashioned water drinkin'

Batman is a doctor now? Is there NOTHING he can't do?
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, so I'm sorry if I'm reposting. A good way to gauge if you are properly hydrated is the color of your urine. You want a pastel yellow. If it's too dark, you're not drinking enough, if it's really pale or almost clear, you're drinking WAY too much. I've noticed that when I drink enough water my cramps during 'that' time of the month aren't near as bad, and I feel a lot better all around.