Problem with Polar FT4 HRM and swimming laps

2»

Replies

• Darkhorse1960
    Darkhorse1960 Posts: 1 Member
    I am getting ready to try my FT4 in my pool for swimming laps. The FT4 is water resistant to 30m Here is what the online manual states about the water resistance:

Water Resistance of the Polar FT4 Training Computer
    Polar FT4 may be worn when swimming. To maintain water resistance, do not press buttons under water.
    For more information, visit http://www.polar.fi/support. Water resistance of Polar products is tested
    according to International Standard ISO 2281. Products are divided into three categories according to
    their water resistance. Check the back of your Polar product for the water resistance category, and
    compare it to the chart below. Please note that these definitions do not necessarily apply to products of
    other manufacturers.
    Marking on case back
    1. Water resistant = Protected against wash splashes, sweat, raindrops etc. Not suitable for
    swimming.
    2. Water resistant 30 m/50 m or WR 30M/ WR 50M = Suitable for bathing and swimming
    3. Water resistant 100 m or WR 100M = Suitable for swimming and snorkeling (without air tanks)

Summary:
    You can wear it while swimming. Don't press the buttons under water.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    It is water resistant and will work in the pool but you will lose the signal regularly, most HRM will. I have an FT7 and a Suunto Ambit2 and both are hit or miss in a pool, regardless of salt or chlorine. I think the water get's between the contacts and cause the HRM to lose signal.

There isn't much you can do about it. I just stop after a few laps and step up to check my HR, at the end I take an average and figure out my calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I am getting ready to try my FT4 in my pool for swimming laps. The FT4 is water resistant to 30m Here is what the online manual states about the water resistance:

Water Resistance of the Polar FT4 Training Computer
    Polar FT4 may be worn when swimming. To maintain water resistance, do not press buttons under water.
    For more information, visit http://www.polar.fi/support. Water resistance of Polar products is tested
    according to International Standard ISO 2281. Products are divided into three categories according to
    their water resistance. Check the back of your Polar product for the water resistance category, and
    compare it to the chart below. Please note that these definitions do not necessarily apply to products of
    other manufacturers.
    Marking on case back
    1. Water resistant = Protected against wash splashes, sweat, raindrops etc. Not suitable for
    swimming.
    2. Water resistant 30 m/50 m or WR 30M/ WR 50M = Suitable for bathing and swimming
    3. Water resistant 100 m or WR 100M = Suitable for swimming and snorkeling (without air tanks)

Summary:
    You can wear it while swimming. Don't press the buttons under water.

There is a difference between you can wear it in the water and it working. From what I have read regarding other GPS/HRM devices, there can be an issue transmitting between the watch and chest strap while in the water. I can't seem to access the site I normally source for these.
This discussion has been closed.